Toast Australian Rules Hall of Fame Night 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m so meh about this. It really is so boring.

They stuffed it up. They should’ve started with one person per year since the game was invented, and then continued with a new inductee each year. Make it properly exclusive.
Isn't that the point of the 'Legends club' though?

The HOF, while still very difficult to get into, is a staple for players who have had very good careers.

Legends is for the absolute best of the best, which is what it sounds like you're looking for.

How the hell does Bartel get into the HOF before GAJ?
Jimmy was a great player but nowhere near GAJ's level or achievements.
Just reinforces that the whole concept is a farce.
Because I'm pretty sure you need to have been retired for five years?

GAJ will be inducted in 2025 and will be upgraded to Legend status as soon as he is eligible, I imagine.

How the hell does Bartel get into the HOF before GAJ?
Jimmy was a great player but nowhere near GAJ's level or achievements.
Just reinforces that the whole concept is a farce.
I don't know if we do it here, but the NFL has a rule that you have to be 5 years post retirement to enter the hall of fame.

Wouldn't surprise me if that's what they're going for. Jimmy was out in 2016, GAJ was 2020.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Greene was a great player, but a rung below I think.

As for lynch, is he actually not in?

Greene played over 300 games, was a 3 time premiership player, BnF winner, won the VFLPA MVP in 1984 (Now the Leigh Matthews trophy), and captained Victoria (when it was a big deal). I reckon that deserves an induction. Especially over some inductees that have gotten in over the years.

Greene played over 300 games, was a 3 time premiership player, BnF winner, won the VFLPA MVP in 1984 (Now the Leigh Matthews trophy), and captained Victoria (when it was a big deal). I reckon that deserves an induction. Especially over some inductees that have gotten in over the years.
Roger Merrett is a more glaring oversight. What he did at Essendon and Brisbane is worthy of high praise, especially the way he led a rag-tag mob up north toward legitimacy and respectability. 300+ games and 2 premierships to go with his captaincy of a pioneering club deserves recognition.

I know it gets said every year, but why the hurry to put guys in straight away especially while some are still involved at club level.

Surely Sam Mitchell would enjoy his induction more when he isn't occupied coaching Hawthorn.

Roger Merrett is a more glaring oversight. What he did at Essendon and Brisbane is worthy of high praise, especially the way he led a rag-tag mob up north toward legitimacy and respectability. 300+ games and 2 premierships to go with his captaincy of a pioneering club deserves recognition.

Lol. I had no idea he wasn't in it. Just assumed he would have been. Laughable

Anybody feel like the HOF is too easy to get in to?

I know they have legend status but I think it needs to be tightened up a bit. I feel like every ex player in the media will be in even Montagna and Dal Santo.

Not really, especially when you factor in that it is really 3 leagues in particular that inductees are drawn from.

Mitchell and Bartel are Brownlow medalists, multiple AAs, have 7 flags between them, a Norm Smith, and 300 gamers.
Enright was a club games record holder and 6 time AA
Aish I missed a lot of his achievements but by all accounts was an absolute legend of SA football
Williams has achieved a colossal amount in SA footy, coached a flag, set a games record in the VFL for an SA player.

These aren’t just 200 gamers who maybe pinched a flag and made a couple of State of Origin sides

There’s roughly 550 active AFL players at any given time at the moment and in the past there were probably 7-800 across the VFL, SANFL, WAFL.

If they’re inducting 5-6-7 guys a year, that is roughly 1 per cent of the playing population. I think that’s a pretty reasonable representation for an honour like this

Remove this Banner Ad

Back