Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Many people got duped by a quiet 2 or 3 week period Lachie had including the AA selectors.

Not going to argue about Neale. He's had a very very good year. Red hot chance to win our B&F.
He was top 5 in basically every award that was voted on week by week. People just seduced by disposal numbers

Caleb Serong was very lucky to be in it. Glen Jakovich doing his annual “gotta have a WA boy in there” manoeuvring.

Jack Viney or Libba much more deserving of that final bench spot.

Many people got duped by a quiet 2 or 3 week period Lachie had including the AA selectors.

Not going to argue about Neale. He's had a very very good year. Red hot chance to win our B&F.
Neale got tagged out of too many games.

Caleb Serong was very lucky to be in it. Glen Jakovich doing his annual “gotta have a WA boy in there” manoeuvring.

No he wasn't. Serong had an exceptional year. I watched him closely because I started with him in my SC side.

Not really, and for a poor Freo side still came in the top 8 of the Brownlow, much easier to get votes in a winning side.

Serong is like a little, more mobile Cripps - he gets in and under and shovels the ball out effectively to space. He, Butters, Gulden, Daicos and Walsh are for mine the players to watch next year.

Love the way he goes about it, absolute jet.

I’d love to hear your arguments supporting that the umpires have better judgment than the selectors

Darcy
KB
Cornes
Gill
Dillon
Ling

And many other flogs over the years.

The umpires watch the games. There is no requirement for the AA selectors to watch the games.

Every single year the AA selectors come up with terrible choices. Without fail.

Stewart was not in the best 6 this year or last year.

Merrett on the bench incredibly lucky too. Could put Stewart there if not wanting Newcombe.

In that role Stewart probably was, he was the only borderline one. Merrett was easily in the best side, bench but easily there, Newcombe is next year (same with Blakey from us, etc). They weren't picking two inside foot soldiers on the bench.

Stewart was not in the best 6 this year or last year.

Merrett on the bench incredibly lucky too. Could put Stewart there if not wanting Newcombe.
Merrett was lucky? Tell me you didn't watch Essendon play without telling me you didn't watch Essendon play.

Was miles better than Newcombe.

Merrett was lucky? Tell me you didn't watch Essendon play without telling me you didn't watch Essendon play.

Was miles better than Newcombe.

Yep, easily in the best 22, they got it right probably on the bench but he was a moral of being in the side was just where.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched plenty.

Essendon loaded with players who get a heap and dont do a lot with it.
Saying Merrett "doesn't do much with it" is about as dumb as saying Newcombe is soft.

Keep going, the stupidity is entertaining.

Watched plenty.

Essendon loaded with players who get a heap and dont do a lot with it.

Merrett is close to the most damaging mid per possession, there's a reason other coaches send their negator to him, you stop Merrett you stop Essendon, sorry but it's true, good teams have but most don't. He's easily in the side.

Stewart i'll cop as a 50/0 but that's the only one, and if that's the ONLY one the selectors have done a great job

No he wasn't. Serong had an exceptional year. I watched him closely because I started with him in my SC side.

Didn’t say he didn’t have a good season. Viney and Libba were better. I watched them all closely too.

There’s no way Glen Jakovich watches much non-WA footy. He’s as parochial as it gets and been a dominant voice on that committee for far too long. Him and KB need to * off.

Last edited:
Neale got tagged out of too many games.
It was like 2/3 games he got tagged out of. Reality is every player has a couple of bad games each year (or miss that many games to injury/suspension) and dont get discounted, why is it an issue for Neale this year?

On every measure Neale had a great year and was the best mid in the 2nd best team, he was in the top handful of mids all year. Its clear in basically every award that counted round by round for this. He was very hard done by in missing the AA team.

I will say if he had been included over some like Serong, Merrett, Dawson (who IMO were there abouts for who I would have dropped for Neale or Libba) we would be having the exact some discussion about how they were hard done by. There are always a few too many very good mids who miss out

Remove this Banner Ad

Back