Toast Australian Rules Hall of Fame Night 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think the difference between VFL and SANFL (in the 80s) is as big as you think. That's all.

Having moved to Adelaide in the mid 1980s it was way more suburban football level. And since the Crows and then Power even more so.

There were very few State of Origin games the Vics took seriously. VFL coaches routinely stopped their best players from being released to play.

I remember Aish and McIntosh because I supported Norwood and went to many games. Very good footballers but absolutely a rung below VFL. No way better than Russell Greene who was mentioned earlier as someone who deserves to be in.

Nick Saunter in the VFA/VFL

9 times leading goal kicker
873 Goals
9 times team of the year
5 time premiership player
Sandringham Captain
Sixth most games in VFA/VFL history
3 games at the elite level

vs

Michael Aish in the SANFL

2 times premiership player
1 times league B&F
4 times club B&F
15 State games
0 games at the elite level

If one of these players is worthy of Hall of Fame, the other surely is.
Wait a second - Here is the reason why. You are comparing a competition that is the highest level of competition in the state and comparing it with the second level of competition in the state and saying that the accomplishments should be looked at as the same.

The arrogance and disrespect is ASTONISHING.

Having moved to Adelaide in the mid 1980s it was way more suburban football level. And since the Crows and then Power even more so.

There were very few State of Origin games the Vics took seriously. VFL coaches routinely stopped their best players from being released to play.

I remember Aish and McIntosh because I supported Norwood and went to many games. Very good footballers but absolutely a rung below VFL. No way better than Russell Greene who was mentioned earlier as someone who deserves to be in.
Complete Bollocks I would rate him just not quite as good as John Platten. Having played against one, but not the other. Aish 100% deserves to be in the Hall of Fame this is no disrespect to Russell Greene who was a very good player and was all-Australian once as well. I've said it a number of times here the best SANFL teams could beat the bottom end of the VFL but the SANFL didn't have the depth.

Complete Bollocks I would rate him just not quite as good as John Platten. Having played against one, but not the other. Aish 100% deserves to be in the Hall of Fame this is no disrespect to Russell Greene who was a very good player and was all-Australian once as well. I've said it a number of times here the best SANFL teams could beat the bottom end of the VFL but the SANFL didn't have the depth.

Just not quite as good as Platten???

Get your hand off it mate. Platten was a champion in both competitions. Platten would have won a bunch of Magarey Medals if he stayed.

Just not quite as good as Platten???

Get your hand off it mate. Platten was a champion in both competitions. Platten would have won a bunch of Magarey Medals if he stayed.
I played against Platten, and he was a great player but so was Aish. At least I played with and against some of these guys rather than your biased Victorian opinions that are "he never played in the VFL so he's sh*t" please imagine that line being said in a monotone moronic voice.

Wait a second - Here is the reason why. You are comparing a competition that is the highest level of competition in the state and comparing it with the second level of competition in the state and saying that the accomplishments should be looked at as the same.

The arrogance and disrespect is ASTONISHING.
VFL/AFL has always been the premier competition. You are completely delusional. VFA rivalled it in the early days, SANFL and WAFL were a fair way behind. when Saunter and Aish played VFA/VFL was the second best league in the country. Aish's inclusion is a joke since he never played at the top level.

VFL/AFL has always been the premier competition. You are completely delusional. VFA rivalled it in the early days, SANFL and WAFL were a fair way behind. when Saunter and Aish played VFA/VFL was the second best league in the country. Aish's inclusion is a joke since he never played at the top level.
If you want to speak about the early days Hayden Bunton senior the 3 time Brownlow Medalist played one season at Port Adelaide playing as a rover. He got 1 Magarey medal vote that year and the Magarey Medal was won by Port's other rover Bob Quinn who got blown up at Tobruk and just about lost his leg.

But of course the VFA is better competition than the SANFL. You're a joke and your view that Aish can't be in the Hall of Fame because he never played in the VFL is moronic beyond belief.

If you want to speak about the early days Hayden Bunton senior the 3 time Brownlow Medalist played one season at Port Adelaide playing as a rover. He got 1 Magarey medal vote that year and the Magarey Medal was won by Port's other rover Bob Quinn who got blown up at Tobruk and just about lost his leg.

But of course the VFA is better competition than the SANFL. You're a joke and your view that Aish can't be in the Hall of Fame because he never played in the VFL is moronic beyond belief.
* that post is embarrassing for you. Seriously, reread and delete your account.

10 years after he won his third brownlow, and after taking time out of the game to serve in the army, in his mid thirties he went and played for Port Adelaide in the SANFL. To even get a game at that stage is an indictment of how poor the standard of the league was - let alone being one of it's best players and biggest drawcard. While the best player in the competition was a disabled war veteran with limited use of his leg and arm. Surely this is a wind up?????

Seriously this is pathetic - your claim that Michael Aish deserves to be in the Hall of Fame is based on the shell of a former VFL championing being one of the best in the SANFL 10 years after his peak, 80 years ago, and the competitions best player pretty much disabled. My god this is bad.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back