Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

They have done that this season- actually picked wingers and picked blokes in their rightful positions. What do people want? They rectify it and people whinge they don’t and people scream about inside mids plonked on the wings.
Well IMO they haven't I wouldn't name Daicos a follower / rover/ ruck rover in the old language. He's made his name mostly at half back this season compared to others in the side who've been more traditional onballers. Without changing the names in the side, it was an easy thing to do that gives a bit more positional credibility to the side, and doesn't impact the accolade for the player.

The amount of s**t thrown around on this page is staggering. Josh Daicos has been selected in nearly every journo / media scribe/ press publication known to man this year. Had a phenomenal year after making the squad last year. Gone to another level.

Side to me looks pretty much spot on, minus one or two players. Libba stiff, a couple of defenders could’ve been 50/50.

Dusty come on, nowhere near getting in this years team. That would’ve been an absolute joke.

Yeah, no. Literally no-one is saying that. Hell most of your board thinks that Cerra was better than Cripps. Cripps making the 44 is unforgivable. His first 14 weeks were trash.
On par with his Brownlow last year.

Unpopular opinion ... I'd take Libba over Butters in the guts. Move Butters to bench and Zerritt goes out.
Marshall had a better ruckman season than English too.
Cant agree. Butters will go close to winning the Brownlow. Marshall was very inconsistent.

Cant agree. Butters will go close to winning the Brownlow. Marshall was very inconsistent.
Didn't realise he was top 3 for Brownlow. Man, what a slim field it is this year ... it'll be even more snooze-inducing viewing than usual! haha

Inconsistent is the only reason I'd pick Libba over Butters on field in the middle. Look at his start of season and around the byes compared to Libba. For an AA squad, I'd choose always choose consistent performers ahead of the inconsistent. Could even chuck Butters to the wing and move Gulden to the bench.

For ruck craft, I had RoMo way ahead of English but now that I have looked at some stats (to prove you wrong lol) I am changing my view. English had the better season and deserves his place.
  • English attended avg. 78 ruck contests per game, 39% win rate (for 31 per game), 10.5 to advantage
  • RoMa attended avg. 66 ruck contests per game, 41% win rate (for 27 per game), 7.5 to advantage
Possession wise they were similar (RoMo just ahead) but English had 15 goals to 7.

the Brownlow is a nothing award lets be honest. it means nothing. Only rookies respect the award.
Still, it proves he's had an AA worthy year.

It's 2023.

The All-Australian selectors voted Josh a better player than Martin in 2023:

All-Australian Jumpers:
J. Daicos - 1
D. Martin - 0

The Coaches also agreed Josh was a better player than Martin in 2023.

AFLCA Coaches Votes:
J. Daicos - 53 (polled in 12 separate games)
D. Martin - 47 (polled in 8 separate games)

17 of Martin's votes were awarded in Richmond's last two games - dead rubbers.

The fact of the matter is that if Martin had have played better when it counted, Richmond may very well be playing finals next weekend.

If J. Daicos wasn't as consistently good across the whole season as he has been, Collingwood may very well be fronting up to Brisbane in Brisbane or Port in Adelaide for their Qualifying Final.
Martin had 1 coaches vote (against West Coast) at the end of round 8, when Richmond had only won twice.

J.Daicos opened with 1, 6, 3, 0, 3, 0, 2, 0 votes during that 7-1 opening run that set up Collingwood's whole season and still polled another 7 times from round 9-24 (the same amount as Martin in that time frame, but included being Collingwood's best player in the Geelong game that secured them top 2, and just 4 votes from one of the dead rubbers).

Josh had a far more influential season than Dusty and was a top 2 wingman in the comp at any given point in the year. Martin it could be argued did this as far as half forward flankers from round 18 onwards only.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unpopular opinion ... I'd take Libba over Butters in the guts. Move Butters to bench and Zerritt goes out.
Marshall had a better ruckman season than English too.
Libba is one of the least hyped players in the league. It is funny how there are players like Libba who no matter what they do or how good they are simply will never be media darlings and will never get the credit they deserve.

Take Bailey Smith compared to Libba for example. Bailey Smiths hype is off the charts, Libba's output is about triple.

You really think so?

It was only yesterday they were still crying over Riewoldt's omission from a team in the early 2010's....
In fairness, he did win the Coleman that year and was snubbed. Nowadays you only need to come 3rd as a KPF and you get in (except of course for last year where if you come 2nd you don't qualify).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back