Toast Sam Walsh - 2023 Gary Ayres Award winner

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe they should also change the Brownlow, Coaches Award, MVP and Rising Star to be representatives of the team that wins the premiership
Didn’t we try that with the All Australian team in 2007?

Maybe they should also change the Brownlow, Coaches Award, MVP and Rising Star to be representatives of the team that wins the premiership
Sorry, but this doesn't sit well with me at all. It's a bit like Neale winning the Brownlow because he got the most clearances.
The winner should have been a Brisbane or Collingwood player as the GF was a much better game than the others.

Lol. How does that work?
Best player over the course of the finals series as voted by the coaches. It's not a particularly difficult concept to grasp.

Flogged in the prelim, where was he then?He's no Dustin Martin that's for sure. Bobby Hill should have won it.

He was excellent in the prelim. It's OK to say you didn't watch the game.

Best player over the course of the finals series as voted by the coaches. It's not a particularly difficult concept to grasp.

He was excellent in the prelim. It's OK to say you didn't watch the game.
The award is biased towards players who have played the most finals games. They should look at the finals series at the end and then pick a winner.

... the youngest ever to win...
... the first ever to win it without making the Grand Final.
...a remarkable achievement

LOL No need to over egg the omelette, guys. The Gary Ayres Award was first given in 2016. This is just the 8th year of its existence. You blokes are talking like it's a 100 year old award and Walsh has turned history on its ear and done the impossible. It generally goes to the player who gets BOG (or 2nd best) in 2 finals, plus a few votes in a 3rd final... and that's exactly what Walsh did.

Well done to Walsh on standing up in Carlton's three finals and playing his best footy this September.
The Blues won't have far to look for its next captain when Cripps decides to call it quits

Last edited:
The award is biased towards players who have played the most finals games. They should look at the finals series at the end and then pick a winner.

Ryan Reynolds Ugh GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Voting in a series where the players don’t play an equal number of games results in some strange results.

Someone able to win from a team that lost in the prelims just seems a bit off.
Macrae winning in 2021 was a funny one for me. Was absolutely pantsed in the grand final.

We talk about big game players all year every year. Whats bigger than being consistent in a finals atmosphere.

Exactly.

Every thread in this forum ends up with some halfwit saying ‘well let’s see how he goes in a final’ to illegitimise the achievements of pretty much any player in existence.

In an individual capacity literally the only measure we have had previously to assess someone’s big games performances was an ‘only one person from one team involved in one match’ award.

At least this gives more people a shot and they aren’t relying on one performance being rated objectively higher than 43 other guys in the same game

For a fan base that whinges about too many rule changes in the sport, pretty much every thread is full of posters wanting changes to awards.

Playing bingo this year, you’d have 1) umpires shouldn’t vote on the Brownlow, it should be a coach/player/media (Luke Darcy & Kane Cornes better than umps hey) award 2) the Gary Ayres medal is all wrong but would miss out on 3) the rising star eligibility rules should change

Congratulations to Walsh, he was in the top 2/3 players in 2 finals and his sides best in another. That’s a good finals series.

Don’t really know why this award exists, very strange one. Nobody cares, I doubt Walsh does either.
We celebrate the ANZAC Day medalist every year. From a pool of two teams.

I reckon this award would be cared about more than that one..

But I do agree with you that I doubt Walsh cares about it very much right now. End of his career he probably will. As I’m sure he would trade in all his individual accomplishments for a premiership.

Is there ever an award people dont whinge a player from their team didnt win or Richmond fans don't ask what about Dusty?

This, the brownlow, the nobel peace prize and the Oscar for best actor in 2015.

Well done Walsh, he was good.

gotta be bait and a troll, no one is this dumb
I'm saying that Carlton, GWS, Brisbane and Collingwood all play 3 finals games but Carlton and GWS didn't play the GF .Votes were given the same weight for the Elimination final and the GF even though lower quality teams played in the elimination final.
At the end of the day there was no stand out player in the finals series like when Dustin won, that's the system I suppose.
I would of prefered Coleman, Hill or Degoey.
But good luck to Walsh

I'm saying that Carlton, GWS, Brisbane and Collingwood all play 3 finals games but Carlton and GWS didn't play the GF .Votes were given the same weight for the Elimination final and the GF even though lower quality teams played in the elimination final.
At the end of the day there was no stand out player in the finals series like when Dustin won, that's the system I suppose.
I would of prefered Coleman, Hill or Degoey.
Maybe the bigger games should have more votes allocated, I don't know.
You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.
The GF had 1.5x weighting.

Well done to Walsh.

Crisp deserves some credit for being rated as the (equal) 2nd, 3rd and 3rd best player on the ground for the premiership team (in 3 very tight matches). No Crisp = no premiership*. Underrated player.

*Likewise Bobby Hill, a quiet prelim sandwiched between two great games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back