Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Josh Daicos is not in the best 22 players in the league.

The suggestion that he has to be in order to make this team shows you don’t understand it. What if the 18 best players in the league were all ruckmen? They can only pick a couple of them. So logically 16 of the best 18 players in the comp will miss out and you would have players ranked around 30th getting selected

It's 2023.

The All-Australian selectors voted Josh a better player than Martin in 2023:

All-Australian Jumpers:
J. Daicos - 1
D. Martin - 0

The Coaches also agreed Josh was a better player than Martin in 2023.

AFLCA Coaches Votes:
J. Daicos - 53 (polled in 12 separate games)
D. Martin - 47 (polled in 8 separate games)

17 of Martin's votes were awarded in Richmond's last two games - dead rubbers.

The fact of the matter is that if Martin had have played better when it counted, Richmond may very well be playing finals next weekend.

If J. Daicos wasn't as consistently good across the whole season as he has been, Collingwood may very well be fronting up to Brisbane in Brisbane or Port in Adelaide for their Qualifying Final.
This doesn’t take away the fact that Richmond have won more flags in the last 6 years than Collingwood has in the last 65:)

I would have even had Larkey ahead of Tex. Tex got 22 goals against the bottom 2 teams. Larkey got 8 (WCE and Hawks).
Haha wut. Curnow also kicked 19 against the Eagles. Tex also kicked 5 against the AA CHB in Moore (Curnow did well against the Pies too), 7 against Port in a Showdown and 4 against May. He's also far more involved in general play than Larkey and was 4th in score involvements (the other 4 in the top 5 were all in the AA forwardline) and had 16 goal assists (many of these are goals he could easily kick himself, but he likes bringing others into the game); so he's effectively had direct involvement in 93 goals for the season! He was the clear standout forward in the highest scoring team in the comp, to say Larkey had a better year is an argument devoid of any factual context. Curnow is high up in those stats as well.

For completeness, Larkey was 49th in score involvements, had 7 goal assists (ranked outside the top 200) and averages 6 less disposals a game. Larkey deserved a spot on the bench through sheer weight of goals, but he was behind Curnow and Tex by a fair margin the entire season and likely only made it over someone like Dusty because of his 3 big bags to end the season.

Haha wut. Curnow also kicked 19 against the Eagles. Tex also kicked 5 against the AA CHB in Moore (Curnow did well against the Pies too), 7 against Port in a Showdown and 4 against May. He's also far more involved in general play than Larkey and was 4th in score involvements (the other 4 in the top 5 were all in the AA forwardline) and had 16 goal assists (many of these are goals he could easily kick himself, but he likes bringing others into the game); so he's effectively had direct involvement in 93 goals for the season! He was the clear standout forward in the highest scoring team in the comp, to say Larkey had a better year is an argument devoid of any factual context. Curnow is high up in those stats as well.

For completeness, Larkey was 49th in score involvements, had 7 goal assists (ranked outside the top 200) and averages 6 less disposals a game. Larkey deserved a spot on the bench through sheer weight of goals, but he was behind Curnow and Tex by a fair margin the entire season and likely only made it over someone like Dusty because of his 3 big bags to end the season.
Langford would have had his spot in round 22. Larkey's last two games overtook him.

The All-Australian concept lost a hell of a lot of credibility when they made Hawkins captain.
The melts from Richmond fans is insufferable. I'm not reading any other supporter base having a mental breakdown because their player didn't make it.

In the days leading up to the team being announced, Carlton and Brisbane fans were arguing Andrews vs Weitering. Neither made it but I'm not seeing any sooking.

Move on. Stop being so fragile. Why do you need constant validation? Who hurt you?

They selected 7 forwards. 3x full forwards Walker and Larkey didn't deserve it imo 2 x mids Rozzee and Petracc. 2x genuine forwards C..Cameron and Toby Greene.
So no spot for a medium forward at all.
On top of my post above, Tex also kicked the most goals against top 8 sides. Him and Curnow were clearly the best two key forwards.

They selected 7 forwards. 3x full forwards Walker and Larkey didn't deserve it imo 2 x mids Rozzee and Petracc. 2x genuine forwards C..Cameron and Toby Greene.
So no spot for a medium forward at all.
Yeah. Langford stiff, I agree.

While I agree, I think having two genuine wingers picked screwed Libba and Neale - who both would've been picked most years.

And oddly, the coaches rarely give him juicy vote hauls either. Some players are unlucky. I have no doubt if Bulldogs finished top 4 he'd have been a lock.
Two wingers & starting a half back on the ball so they could get into another defender. They then stacked the bench with mids and didn’t pick anyone for 2nd ruck.

I don’t mind them changing the format every now and then but it seems more out there than most years. At least they chose a proper Captain this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is he a defender and Sicily a key defender? They play the same position.

Those stats are misleading as Sicily has 1-on-1 of 2.7 and it's marked as 'Average'.
Cos Sicily actually plays on key forwards?

I'm all for Nick Daicos in the team, but if you're going to put him in the team, it has to be at Half Back or on the bench,
He didn't play directly on ball too often, I don't think he's warranted as a follower, in fact his stats as a follower are poor if you look at the common metrics of what would typically be the role, but would be warranted elsewhere.

Either he's earnt a spot as a half back or on the bench or he hasn't. Don't shoehorn him in as a follower...

Last edited:
I'm all for Nick Daicos in the team, but if you're going to put him in the team, it has to be at Half Back or on the bench,
He didn't play directly on ball too often, I don't think he's warranted as a follower, in fact his stats as a follower are poor if you look at the common metrics of what would typically be the role, but would be warranted elsewhere.

Either he's earnt a spot as a half back or on the bench or he hasn't. Don't shoehorn him in as a follower...
So switch him and Zerrett and problem solved?

So switch him and Zerrett and problem solved?
Possibly yeh, doesn't matter what you do but Daicos shouldn't be an AA follower on merit. I feel it's a pretty significant position in the team given the importance of midfielders in the game.

AA Halfback or bench if he can't fit there - sure no issues.

Last edited:
Pleased Sicily got a blazer and Houston as well.

Not a huge fan of Daicos the elder but it was good to see a pure winger selected for a change. Don’t know how Errol is classified, but I guess he lines up on the wing a bit, but plays his own hybrid role.

Libba and Marshall were stiff and had them well in front of Merrett and English.

Possibly yeh, doesn't matter what you do but Daicos shouldn't be an AA follower on merit. I feel it's a pretty significant position in the team given the importance of midfielders in the game.

AA Halfback or bench if he can't fit there - sure no issues.

He played a majority of the year in the middle, he started back early but basically played everywhere. He's a mid who can play everywhere, don't see what the issue is with him being as the follower. They could have picked Viney or Libba in that role but not sure which mid I'd be leaving out all deserved their spot. Sure you can take Stewart out and shift Daicos back but I hate it, that's taking a defender position out for the sake of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back