News AFL kick Barry Cable out of the Hall of Fame and revoke his legend status

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah exactly, eg how many people know that Legend John Nicholls did 3 months in Pentridge during his playing career? It's always been a game for rough types.
I think that was for financial irregularities. Was it something to do with scamming money out of a bank he was employed for?

There should be 12-15 legends. Are you telling me blight in the top 15 players in history ? Please.

His cv isn’t amazingly better than say Nathan Buckley
Buckley has no flags, Blight has two as a player and two as a coach.

Anyway as someone who loved Cable as a kid this is incredibly disappointing.

i would say gut wrenching but he hasn't done anything to me. hardly comparible to what his victims went thru.

And for Mouncey - he was in with the coppers in WA and was mentioned in their RC into police corruption as a case where police corruption prevented any sort of justice being delivered to the victims. So he didn't just lose a civil case.

Seems easy but define criminal activity. Cable wasnt found criminally guilty. Nor was Whitten. Nor GAS.

But all 3 are horrible people who did horrible things.

Nicholls was found criminally guilty so I guess he gets booted?

What Big Nick did wasn't great, but it pales in comparison to what Cable, Whitten Ablett Snr and Carey have done (or alleged to have done)

What Big Nick did wasn't great, but it pales in comparison to what Cable, Whitten Ablett Snr and Carey have done (or alleged to have done)

Not really much different to what Pickett has been accused of doing.

He embezzled close to $100k (in todays worth) of funds from a bank he was working at.

Well you’ve ruled Bucks out because he never won a flag. Assuming the same rule applies for Plugger.
tbf he wasn't really having a go at you, just someone else saying Blight has a no better CV than buckley, and he's rightfully (a tad defensively) pointing out Blight has a great standing in the game. Both champions for different reasons and both valid.

I do wish people would stop comparing players with the amount of accolades one has when arguing their HOF or Legend status, it's not the only measuring tool for the contribution an individual has made to the game

The flag criteria just shouldn’t matter. It really shouldn’t. Even more so in a competition where you literally have no control (if you are from the last 30-odd years anyway) where you start your career and in many cases you don’t have a lot of control over where you spend most of it.

There are so many factors beyond a player’s control in trying to win a comp, and it starts with the fact that you share the field each week with 21 other guys, and then factors like how strong other teams are when your team peaks, coaching staff, administration, recruitment staff, injuries to teammates who could otherwise make you that 5 per cent better, and even the bounce of that stupid ball if youre someone like Nick Riewoldt.

Yes it’s a great thing to have on yiur CV and if you’re lucky enough to win one, and do a Corey Enright and pick up a best and fairest in a premiership side obviously that is a good endorsement of your level as a player but it should be well down the list to merely look at someone and decide that they are not worthy because they didn’t win a flag

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t believe some of you are debating Criminal vs Civil etc.

I think it’s pretty safe to rule a line through ‘Tier 1 Baddies’:

Murderers
Rapists
Paedos

Probably can extend to sexual assault of any kind in the current climate.

DV, Assault, drugs, theft, embezzlement are probably all Tier 2 and get a bit of moral grandstanding but ultimately let in if they are a sure thing (and not put them in if they aren’t).

Anyway as someone who loved Cable as a kid this is incredibly disappointing.

i would say gut wrenching but he hasn't done anything to me. hardly comparible to what his victims went thru.

And for Mouncey - he was in with the coppers in WA and was mentioned in their RC into police corruption as a case where police corruption prevented any sort of justice being delivered to the victims. So he didn't just lose a civil case.

PC decisions around Cabes &/or Gaz Snr or Duck dont influence my views of the careers of these great footballers.

Well you’ve ruled Bucks out because he never won a flag. Assuming the same rule applies for Plugger.
Someone said Buckley's CV compared to Blight's and wasn't that different.

So i pointed out the obvious difference. Its got nothing to do with Plugger (tho Bucks hasn't kicked over 1350 goals either.) Blight is a two time premiership player and coach who has a Brownlow and a host of other medals and Buckley isn't. That's all.

PC decisions around Cabes &/or Gaz Snr or Duck dont influence my views of the careers of these great footballers.
Cable is a rock spider. Shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame. Its got nothing to do with PC. Just don't honour child abusers who have their crimes covered up by the cops. Its not rocket science.

Great footballer too. There was a game where he just flogged Leigh Matthews. Unbelievable. Still a campaigner.

In criminal case the prosecutor must prove its case Beyond Reasonable Doubt. In civil case the standard of proof is at the lower level of On the Balance of Probabilities. That is in the civil case you only need to prove that it is more probably than not that your case is correct. In a criminal case the accused must be found not guilty unless the jury are satisfied beyond reasonable doubt that they committed the crime. This reflects society’s judgement that people are innocent until proven guilty and should not be punished... unless the crime is proven beyond reasonable doubt.

The case against Cable has not been proven beyond reasonable doubt.

He denies the allegations.

If he had been convicted of crimes, fair enough, unperson him, do whatever you want as part of your Two Minutes Hate.

But he hasn't been convicted of crimes.
"Honey, Mr Cable would make a fine babysitter! He hasn't been convicted beyond reasonable doubt, he only probably raped that underage girl."

Worst kept secret in football. How in *s name did he get in to the hall of fame in the first place ?!? Comical, almost as comical would be north fans reaction if this germ played for Essendon.

I haven't seen more than one or two North fans disagree with the AFL and club's decision (I don't include nuffs like Mouncey2Franklin).

Also haven't read this thread from start to finish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back