Roast The Hack-Kick out of defence

Remove this Banner Ad

You do increase the chances in congestion of kicking the ball into someone and remaining in the area close to goal.

Yep, trying to kick the ball along the ground would result in it ricocheting closer to the opposition goal 78% of the time. Everyone knows that.

Hack kick goes one extra metre and we’re not having this conversation.

He makes a good point that a hack kick in the air is a low percentage option. players should be getting coached that when hack kicking out of defence they should scrub it along the ground.

And at the very least it should be the tactic when up by less than a goal with only minutes left. It’s not difficult to kick a ball along the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'd argue that it often has the desired result - preserving the lead/win - we just tend not to remember the times when the 'get it out of the area' option results in a harmless ball up/throw in and we do remember the ones that get turned over and result in a shot to win the game.

Kicking the ball along the ground… in many circumstances… is a tactic never used but it will be in coming years.

For example, the Saints were destroyed in 3 x games by Sicily, Andrews and Vlastuin … they took about 25 intercept marks between them. When forwards are struggling to mark the ball and are constantly getting out numbered, why not scrub the ball into the forward line? It might seem massively counter intuitive, but flags have been won by teams with elite interceptors for years now:

Richmond : Rance, Vlastuin, Grimes…

Eagles: McGovern, Hurn

Demons: Lever, May

Cats: Stewart and SDK

Teams need to remove the major asset of these teams, and that’s their intercept marking that creates rebound scores off turnover.

I’m not saying scrub it in every time, but for those times where you are struggling to find a decent option, and with the stand rule in place, why not run around a few metres and kick a worm burning scrub kick 45m at high velocity into chaos?

If your forwards aren’t marking it and the oppo’s defenders and intercepting constantly then what’s the downside?

Kicking the ball along the ground… in many circumstances… is a tactic never used but it will be in coming years.

For example, the Saints were destroyed in 3 x games by Sicily, Andrews and Vlastuin … they took about 25 intercept marks between them. When forwards are struggling to mark the ball and are constantly getting out numbered, why not scrub the ball into the forward line? It might seem massively counter intuitive, but flags have been won by teams with elite interceptors for years now:

Richmond : Rance, Vlastuin, Grimes…

Eagles: McGovern, Hurn

Demons: Lever, May

Cats: Stewart and SDK

Teams need to remove the major asset of these teams, and that’s their intercept marking that creates rebound scores off turnover.

I’m not saying scrub it in every time, but for those times where you are struggling to find a decent option, and with the stand rule in place, why not run around a few metres and kick a worm burning scrub kick 45m at high velocity into chaos?

If your forwards aren’t marking it and the oppo’s defenders and intercepting constantly then what’s the downside?

Maybe, it's an interesting discussion. The issue I can see with it is that an attacking grubber kick would, by its nature, be a shallow entry and the only thing worse than having a forward 50 entry cut off is having a shallow forward 50 entry cut off.

And that's my problem with the notion of grubbing it along the ground when there's no obvious target coming out of defence. It can be turned over just as easily and if it is turned over, the opposition is coming back almost immediately, barely any time for the defensive players to react to the turnover, compared to 'long and high down the line'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back