News AFL kick Barry Cable out of the Hall of Fame and revoke his legend status

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm torn

On one hand I like the idea of sportsman being rewarded and celebrated for their on field performances.

On the other, I believe off field issues should result in being kicked out of the league. I hold this position as sporting fields are built by governments and thus should come with the caveat of "public standards". Beating up women, assaults, rape and other material convictions should trigger "public interest tests" over employment.

If I hold this position, re employment, it is only reasonable to apply this to awards and recognition. Carey, Ablett, Cable etc are probably examples that may warrant review.

I think this is a slam dunk as it were - he doesn't fit the character test. But there are other guys who historically have a fairly murky background (ie: Ted Whitten) who should also be looked at. It does open a can of worms certainly.

would be interesting if they elevate Ablett Snr this week at the same time as stripping Cable

Based on this criteria Ablett Snr will never be elevated to legend status (and rightly so)

Bruce Doull is long overdue to be elevated fwiw. Best player in Carlton's history according to many

I think this is a slam dunk as it were - he doesn't fit the character test. But there are other guys who historically have a fairly murky background (ie: Ted Whitten) who should also be looked at. It does open a can of worms certainly.
Yeah exactly, eg how many people know that Legend John Nicholls did 3 months in Pentridge during his playing career? It's always been a game for rough types.

Yeah exactly, eg how many people know that Legend John Nicholls did 3 months in Pentridge during his playing career? It's always been a game for rough types.

That has been public knowledge for years even before the Hall of Fame was formed.

Guilty until proven woke

He was proven guilty in a court of law.

What point are you trying to make ?

We should brush aside his toxic rock spider crimes ?

I was sexually abused/raped as an 11 year old child. That trauma still effects me to this day (now 43)

If being 'woke' means past actions and crimes have consequences, I am all for it..

He was proven guilty in a court of law.

What point are you trying to make ?

We should brush aside his toxic rock spider crimes ?

I was sexually abused/raped as an 11 year old child. That trauma still effects me to this day (now 43)

If being 'woke' means past actions and crimes have consequences, I am all for it..

Umm you got my point the wrong way around

This case isnt that simple im afraid. If you look at the details and why it took so long to get to this point, thats where the issue exists. He got away with it for a insanely long time because too many people protectdd him

Umm you got my point the wrong way around

This case isnt that simple im afraid. If you look at the details and why it took so long to get to this point, thats where the issue exists. He got away with it for a insanely long time because too many people protectdd him

My apologies. I just here the term 'woke' thrown around so often these days online (mostly in a derogatory fashion by Right Wingern types)

Unfortunately it took decades for other creeps of a similar age generation of their crimes (like Rolf Harris and Jimmy Saville etc) to have their crimes exposed to light (in Saville's case, post humorously)

As I said before, I hope Cable's victims do get a measure of justice and closure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My apologies. I just here the term 'woke' thrown around so often these days online (mostly in a derogatory fashion by Right Wingern types)

Unfortunately it took decades for other creeps of a similar age generation of their crimes (like Rolf Harris and Jimmy Saville etc) to have their crimes exposed to light (in Saville's case, post humorously)

As I said before, I hope Cable's victims do get a measure of justice and closure

In W.A Barry Cable is quite well known for smoozing it up with both political parties is all. Post 1994ish he bounced between govt depts on random boards (like Aboriginal economic development and then some form of Environment Conservation board at one stage) and basically just stuck to them like glue kissing ass all the way. Rare for a W.A person to go from working for both Labor and Liberal at different times as well. Id argue no one else has done it except for him even at such a high level

In W.A Barry Cable is quite well known for smoozing it up with both political parties is all. Post 1994ish he bounced between govt depts on random boards (like Aboriginal economic development and then some form of Environment Conservation board at one stage) and basically just stuck to them like glue kissing ass all the way. Rare for a W.A person to go from working for both Labor and Liberal at different times as well. Id argue no one else has done it except for him even at such a high level

I read a biography of Jimmy Saville's life (and sins) and he did exactly what you describe Cable, the awful Margaret Thatcher was a massive supporter of Saville)

Several police officers at the time of Saville's disgusting crimes wanted to charge him or at least investigate him further, but we stopped from doing so by higher up forces at police authority and political levels.

Makes me sick thinking about it tbh.

Absolutely right move by the AFL. Cable turns 80 later this year, and it is unfortunate that he’s been able to trade off his footballing reputation for basically his entire life. I understand he declared bankruptcy before the recent trial too. Essentially, apart from his reputation now being in tatters for his twilight, he gets away with his crimes.

doesn't help we have too many legends already. Should have been a dozen at most.

Rugby League have it right with their Immortals.

The AFL make such a fuss about announcements they water down the meaning.

Like Pope John Paul 2 quadrupling the number of Saints during his time by broadening the definition of miracle.

Removing Cable is interesting though. Kicking someone out for a civil finding while keeping people in who committed criminal offences shows they only care about the news cycle.

Like Pope John Paul 2 quadrupling the number of Saints during his time by broadening the definition of miracle.

Removing Cable is interesting though. Kicking someone out for a civil finding while keeping people in who committed criminal offences shows they only care about the news cycle.

Yeah The NRL/Rugby League is something we should emulate given all their disgraceful and unsavoury sex scandals and misogyny crimes (accusations and proven like Jarryd Hayne) over the last 2-3 decades ..

It's not about the QUANTITY of people in the Hall of Fame, it's the QUALITY .

As other's here in this thread have stated, there was several disgraceful reasons (mainly political) why Cable was never sent to Gaol and forced to be held accountable for his crimes.

To be fair one of them - Changa Langlands - has not exactly had his reputation covered in glory although the charges he was facing were all but forgotten after he died

Yeah The NRL/Rugby League is something we should emulate given all their disgraceful and unsavoury sex scandals and misogyny crimes (accusations and proven like Jarryd Hayne) over the last 2-3 decades ..

As other's here in this thread have stated, there was several disgraceful reasons (mainly political) why Cable was never sent to Gaol and forced to be held accountable for his crimes.

The off field stuff is not a competition mate and neither code has a clean reputation.

He's talking about how rare an immortal is vs legend

Remove this Banner Ad

Back