Certified Legendary Thread RIP - Ron Barassi, the passing of a legend

Remove this Banner Ad

My old man used to live across the road from Norm Smith who Barassi moved in with (in a granny flat Norm built out the back).

Dad used to kick the footy with Ron and Norm’s son Peter - and his favourite RB memory was kicking the footy with him on Shedden St on Saturday mornings before he’d go off to play for Melbourne.

Vale to a legend.

A legend of the game.
There will never be anyone quite like him again.
His story is just amazing, his record unsurpassed.
Would love to see the premiership cup named after him.
Vale RDB, #31
THe AFL board under Richard Goyder have been weak as piss as someone was oft to say. If we can have a new MCG stand name in a couple of days, we can have the Ronald Dale Barassi Cup for this years GF.

His playing days were a little before my time, however I do remember the ABC TV show he compared once a week followed by his North Melbourne GF wins and I can't think of anyone more deserving of a significantly named trophy. Thank you Ron and my thoughts go out toyour family. Vale!

I am not usually one for hasty posthumous honours, handed out in high emotion etc but surely it’s a bit of a no-brainer to name the cup after RDB?

It’s a shame it didn’t happen in his lifetime really.

10 flags as a player or coach, big impact at 4 clubs, important role in growing the league/game nationally. Lock it in. Norm Smith has the medal, Ron can have the cup.

So sorry to hear this news.
Ron was a honourable man, a gentleman.

I’m too young to have seen him play but his presence in our sport whether playing, coaching or commentary has been immense.

Also remember his truly selfless act below , unsurprising.

There are only a handful of true worthy legends of Australian Rules football. Gods of the game as players and coaches or sometimes both.
The icons of golden eras of the past pre 1970.

Norm Smith, McHale, Kennedy, Pratt, Farmer, Warne-Smith, Skilton, Whitten, Hutchison, Bunton, Coventry, Reynolds..the list goes on

Barassi simply is the most famous person in the history of the game.

His life story with his long connection with Norm Smith and the MFC is unique and endearing with football obsessed Barassi going on into his late 50s still involved and coaching a league team.

There’s a million barassi stories as he lead an extraordinary football life.

My favourite Ron quote is..'Practice makes perfect' is bullshit. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Ron Barassi

Date of birth: 27/2/1936, Castlemaine, Victoria

Playing career: 1953-69 (Melbourne 1953-64, Carlton 1965-69)

Games: 254 (Melbourne 204, Carlton 50)
Goals: 330 (Melbourne 295, Carlton 35)

Player honours
Melbourne best and fairest 1961, 1964
Melbourne leading goalkicker 1958 (equal), 1959
Melbourne captain 1960-64
Melbourne premierships 1955, 1956, 1957, 1959, 1960, 1964
Australian Football Hall of Fame inductee (Legend) 1996
AFL Team of the Century
Melbourne Team of the Century (captain)
All-Australian 1956, 1958, 1961 (captain)
Victoria 19 games, 26 goals

Also played for Port Melbourne (VFA) 1972 (3 games, 1 goal).

Coaching record
Carlton 1965-71 (147 games, 99 wins, 47 losses, 1 draw), premierships 1968, 1970
North Melbourne 1973-80 (198 games, 130 wins, 65 losses, 3 draws), premierships 1975, 1977
Melbourne 1981-85 (111 games, 34 wins, 77 losses)
Sydney 1993-95 (59 games, 13 wins, 46 losses)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Adelaide Oval has a few footballers honoured around their grand stands. The MCG has two cricketers and the Olympics on their grand stands. This is ok but Ausssie rules has contributed much more to the history and folklore of the MCG than those two sports. Barassi should have a grand stand (Members?) Whitten and a few others just as deserving should have a statue with the others outside the ground.

A Carlton, Melbourne and North Melbourne legend. He helped the Sydney Swans get up on their feet as well.

He also started the whole concept of the Irish experiment, when he recruited Jim Stynes and Sean Wight to the Demons.

I'm glad that he got to see his beloved Demons, win the flag in 2021 as well. RIP Ron and thank you for everything.

I met him once the day before the 2015 GF. Hopped on a tram to get to the parade amd when I went to sit down I stepped on an old guy's foot. Looked up and it was Barassi.

Apologised quickly then spent the trip chatting to him and his son. Very nice guy. Was clearly slowing with age and his son helped out with a lot of the memories (something he did often at functions) but a memory I will keep.

I was at a pre-season game years ago between Sydney and Hawthorn at Optus Oval. Standing there with my scumbag mates, we're all in our Ramones and Motorhead t-shirts, cans of beer in hand, Hawks scarves on. Hear a voice behind us "G'day fellas. Great day for it". It was Ron. He just wanted to have a chat about footy. Didn't mind we were long haired louts, didn't matter that we barracked for Hawthorn - all that mattered was we were there to watch footy.

What a full life he had. Nearly dying in a car crash, running his furniture buisness, running The Mountain View Hotel, running football. A life well lived.
His last coaching job in footy was saving the Sydney Swans from extinction 30 years ago and putting NSW on the map

If Shane Warne got a Grand Stand that wraps half way around the MCG named after him, what should Ron Barassi, who probably had 2-3 times the impact and career and legacy of Shane Warne, get? The premiership cup should be the least, the Ron Barassi members stand?
Great idea. If the NFL can name the trophy after Vince Lombardi, the cup should be named after Barassi.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back