Opinion Should the Premiership Cup be called the Barassi Cup?

Should the Premiership Cup be called the Barassi Cup?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure, they could. Probably wouldn't be as popular a move as you guys seem to think though.

Plus they'll lose their major sponsor in Toyota.

Do you want the AFL Toyota Ron Barassi cup?

Sounds stupid.

Also, unlike your attempt at likening the Shane Warne stand to the AFL premiership cup, clubs don't take the Shane Warne stand back to their club and put it up for display for their members to view.

I can only imagine in the future if the premiership cup is named after a person:

Kid - "Hey dad, what this 'Ron Barassi' cup?"

Parent - "Oh son/daughter/it that's the cup received for when the team wins the AFL premiership"

Kid - "So why isn't it called the premiership cup?"

Parent - "Because Ron Barassi was a famous person who did a lot for a few clubs."

Kid - "What did he do for our club?"

Parent -"Nothing."

Kid - "So why is our premiership cup named after him?"

Parent - "No idea"

Mischa Barton is in the next scene

I have an idea but I don't think anyone will agree. Barassi was a keen chess player. As a secondary idea, have a yearly chess tournament for AFL players.
Sure , you might only have 20 players who can play, but it would be great entertainment.
I also think think this should be done with golf.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He invented the modern game you goose.
That’s slightly over egging it. I know the handball, handball instruction is the stuff of legend, but Carlton only had 40 handballs in that game, Collingwood 33.

I would argue that nobody has done more to make the game look the way it does than Clarkson.

No I don't think it should.

I would rather the Premiership Cup be free from sponsorship or naming rights. I am aware Toyota has the rights currently.

Certainly though I believe someone of Barassi's stature deserves special recognition. I appreciate some of the ideas that have been put forward in this thread.

Carlton and Melbourne to play for the Barassi Cup.
A stand at the MCG to be renamed in his honour.
Yarra Park Precinct to be renamed in his honour, either partially or in its entirety, or a path within it.

All are worthy of serious consideration and I can't believe anyone would object.

Great.

His 13 wins to 46 losses during his coaching period massively set them up for a grand final berth, I'm sure.

Maybe Eade was just a good coach back then?

I'm sure Barassi had a great contribution to the Swans but it wasn't a significant one as a coach, based off his W/L record. Perhaps he left a lasting legacy with the players but it's trivialising Eade's achievement of actually making a GF by attributing it to Barassi.

Yes it doesn't fit well with the "master coach" title, but his absolutely disastrous tenures at Melbourne and Sydney - a decade apart - have always been studiously downplayed. Or perhaps as the game kept changing he couldn't change with it.

Last edited:
People under 30 have no idea who Charles Brownlow, John Coleman , Norm Smith, Stephen Michael, John Cahill were either.
The point here is that Barassi was number 1 person in influence in the history of the game, more than Ted Whitten and everyone else, so some proper recognition is needed.

That's extremely debatable.

Fos Williams bettered it, didn't he? You're not calling for his name on it.
EDIT: I think he Played/Coached in 6, and only coached 3, so 9. Still, I think it's a very VFL oriented idea.
Probably thinking of our inaugural AFL coach John Cahill.

4 as a player, 10 as a coach.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It matters a lot, actually, because they're the next generation of supporters who will pump money into the game for the next 40 years.

Why should the cup be named to please some old-timers, when the majority of supporters these days were alive/old enough to see him play/coach?

Times change.

There's plenty of other ways to honour Ron, other than naming a cup that should have no association with a particular person.

Oh yes, “I’m not going to games anymore or buying a membership because I’ve got no idea who the AFL named the Premiership Cup after”

Did you think before you posted this?

No I don't think it should.

I would rather the Premiership Cup be free from sponsorship or naming rights. I am aware Toyota has the rights currently.

Certainly though I believe someone of Barassi's stature deserves special recognition. I appreciate some of the ideas that have been put forward in this thread.

Carlton and Melbourne to play for the Barassi Cup.
A stand at the MCG to be renamed in his honour.
Yarra Park Precinct to be renamed in his honour, either partially or in its entirety, or a path within it.

All are worthy of serious consideration and I can't believe anyone would object.

The least likely to ever happen on that list is Yarra Park being named after a White Australian male.

Just will never happen in the current climate.

Back