Opinion Should the Premiership Cup be called the Barassi Cup?

Should the Premiership Cup be called the Barassi Cup?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

There's obviously a lot of emotion and outpouring after the death of the great man. There is no rush to a decision required.

Grief and love/lust are the worst times to make decisions. Much better to wait till the emotions have returned to a more stable state.

Geewizz I wish I knew this 30 years ago. Instead I ran ecstaticaly into the witch's den with my mind lost, and have still not found my way out.
If that’s her current photo on your avatar I can understand why you never made it out.

Aaaaand, there we have what is underpinning your posting on this matter.

I can't help you remove the chip from your shoulder, sorry.

The irony is that I am also a non-Victorian, but I don't let it universally dictate my views.
How's this a chip?

It's been a national competition for 33 years now.

Leave the cup as it is.

You ever thought of being a scriptwriter? That's solid work right there. If the kid doesn't care - neither do I. If the kid wants to look into the legacy of someone deemed worthy of having the trophy named after him - that's awesome. It's not about our clubs. Barassi tortured my club for years. But I know a legend when I see one. I vote YES.
Nobody's disputing his status in the game but there's supporters of at least 7 other clubs out there who had nothing to do with him.

Let his legacy be celebrated another way.

Absolutely not, find another medal or award to name after him. Not everything needs to be named after somebody, and calling it the premiership cup is perfect as it is.
I saw somewhere the suggestion of the minor premiership to be named after Barassi, id be ok with that, but never change the name of the premiership cup imo

Up until last year, the Minor Premiers were awarded the McClleland Trophy. It has changed for this year to which ever club has the most combined points from the AFL and AFLW.

How's this a chip?

It's been a national competition for 33 years now.

Leave the cup as it is.
The Victorian nature of it.

Not everything is a Victorian slight on non-Victorian clubs.

But please, carry on........

Nobody's disputing his status in the game but there's supporters of at least 7 other clubs out there who had nothing to do with him.

my club had nothing to do with him except lose plenty. And I think you ARE disputing his status in the game. Its the basis of your argument. His status isnt broad enough for you. As well as irrelevant to under 30's. You are well entitled to hold that opinion. I just disagree strongly. Some individuals are bigger than the rest of us. Just because some people are unaware doesnt change that. There are no doubt plenty of great people they are unaware of. Hopefully their awareness will grow. Naming a cup after Barassi might help the process.

Last edited:
my club had nothing to do with him except lose plenty. And I think you ARE disputing his status in the game. Its the basis of your argument. His status is broad enough for you. As well as irrelevant to under 30's. You are well entitled to hold that opinion. I just disagree strongly. Some individuals are bigger than the rest of us. Just because some people are unaware doesnt change that. There are no doubt plenty of great people they are unaware of. Hopefully their awareness will grow. Naming a cup after Barassi might help the process.
I agree.

His status in the game, and contribution to it, has benefitted the game itself and, therefore, those who are involved in it - even though that benefit is intangible. Whether a club has had direct involvement with him is irrelevant in my opinion.

And that's fine if the AFL goes down another road.

But if the cup were named after him I would not have the slightest issue with it, I certainly think his contribution to the game over his lifetime justifies it. That is where we differ on this.

Sure, they could. Probably wouldn't be as popular a move as you guys seem to think though.

Plus they'll lose their major sponsor in Toyota.

Do you want the AFL Toyota Ron Barassi cup?

Sounds stupid.

Also, unlike your attempt at likening the Shane Warne stand to the AFL premiership cup, clubs don't take the Shane Warne stand back to their club and put it up for display for their members to view.

I can only imagine in the future if the premiership cup is named after a person:

Kid - "Hey dad, what this 'Ron Barassi' cup?"

Parent - "Oh son/daughter/it that's the cup received for when the team wins the AFL premiership"

Kid - "So why isn't it called the premiership cup?"

Parent - "Because Ron Barassi was a famous person who did a lot for a few clubs."

Kid - "What did he do for our club?"

Parent -"Nothing."

Kid - "So why is our premiership cup named after him?"

Parent - "No idea"
He invented the modern game you goose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

?

The point is that the 'Victorian' element ended 33 years ago.

So you need to move on.
Oh, it lives on strongly in the minds of a lot of supporters of non-Victorian clubs, as we see regularly on this forum. :D

my club had nothing to do with him except lose plenty. And I think you ARE disputing his status in the game. Its the basis of your argument. His status isnt broad enough for you. As well as irrelevant to under 30's. You are well entitled to hold that opinion. I just disagree strongly. Some individuals are bigger than the rest of us. Just because some people are unaware doesnt change that. There are no doubt plenty of great people they are unaware of. Hopefully their awareness will grow. Naming a cup after Barassi might help the process.
Actually I'm solely of the opinion that the penultimate prize and measure of success in the AFL, the premiership cup, should never be named after a single individual, no matter their background.

What's so sacred about calling it the AFL Toyota premiership cup?
Make It Rain Money GIF by Tim and Eric

Don't see how naming the cup after him will change anything. It will still be all about the club who wins it and the game itself. Something as steeped in tradition as the cup will always represent the same thing, all you are doing is honouring a man who deserves it. Really don't understand why anyone would be against it.
Great as Barassi is , if Hawthorn win's another premiership in my lifetime I'd be happy with the flag, but would not be so keen on the Ron Barassi Cup......he was the enemy on field.

Back