Jonathan O'Rourke

Remove this Banner Ad

Great point. You can't underestimate that goal; yes he was 30 metres out, but it was a critical goal in a huge, pressure game at a vital time. And it was his first goal.
Actually, it was his 3rd career goal for the Hawks (and overall). ;)

Man the thing which frustrates me and him is, is part his team mates lack of trust in him.

From my view point at the front of the third tier of the Olympic stadium near the members.

Time and time again last Sunday he would once the ball was out run to great positions but his team mates often would use a different option. Often where he would position himself was better than where his team mate who received the ball.

I was getting really frustrated for him.

Perhaps he cannot project his voice all that well, or Clarko will highlight after watching the tapes during the week that his team mates utilize him more.

Last edited:
Man the thing which frustrates me and him is, is part his team lack of trust in him.

From my view point at the front of the third tier of the Olympic stadium near the members.

Time and time again last Sunday he would once the ball was out run to great positions but his team mates often would use a different option. Often where he would position himself was better than where his team mate who received the ball.

Perhaps he cannot project his voice all that well, or Clarko will highlight after watching the tapes during the week that his team mates utilize him more.

Agreed he does a lot of unrewarded running.

Unrewarded running is part of our game plan, team mates trust will come over time, it has to be earned in game. Look at how much more willing our players are to kick to Sis in a one on one or if he is free than they were in the first couple of rounds

Unrewarded running is part of our game plan, team mates trust will come over time, it has to be earned in game. Look at how much more willing our players are to kick to Sis in a one on one or if he is free than they were in the first couple of rounds

Yeah I know, with a few more games his numbers will improve significantly once he has gained the trust of his fellow team mates. Just a little frustrating reading negative comments about him, when you see the guy play live and understand that he is playing his role and isn't a week link.

Man the thing which frustrates me and him is, is part his team mates lack of trust in him.

It's not easy to rebuild trust.
iceskate03-300x252.jpg

I agree. when sitting on the top level on the wing i also see him free with space. Its just we don't go through the corridor that much and thats where he is majority of the time. So using the corridor more maybe? finals time?

I don't think its a lack of trust at all. sometimes you see him free but it seems he isn't throwing his arms around trying to get noticed and he will learn that over time as well and maybe more vocal on the field (not saying he isn't). Its just look at the team he is playing with. The players will be looking for hodge, mitchell, burgoyne, lewis, rioli etc and the likes of O'Rouke, Howe, Hartung, Stewart and lovell last. But as they mature and the older guys decline they will be looked for more often and found

If his running patterns are creating space consistently through the corridor he will be used in finals.
Deliberately not using him & have him continue these patterns will help set the positioning of others for when it counts on review of the video.
The adjustments might only be a matter of a few meters but for set plays that can gash a side for 4-5 goals over the course of a game that is gold!!!
I have loved what he has produced & where he has developed & wouldn't be surprised one bit if he doesn't pull a Langers 2014 during the finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am afraid I just don't see what this kid has. He isn't young and untried any more. Surely he wasn't recruited with firstly pick #2 and then pick #18 to be a slogger. Those draft picks are reserved for very good game breaking players. Has he ever actually done that? With either GWS or Hawthorn or even Box Hill? The best I have seen him produce is raking up a decent number of disposals (early 20's) but not do anything particularly damaging with them. Not sure if I am missing something but I feel like he is reputation is still based on a good TAC Cup 5yrs ago. As far as I can see he hasn't recaptured that form once since then.

I haven't given up on him just yet but you do have to start worrying if he will ever live up to his potential. We gave up a first round pick for him and the amount of gun ex GWS players playing well for other teams makes you question whether we have targeted the wrong one.

Can't see him retaining his spot come finals time, will need to have a really good preseason to prove himself next year.

I want to like O'Rourke, I really do.

He does a lot of running that goes unrewarded. Constantly makes leads and provides options that more often than not aren't honoured. You can almost always seem him near the ball, but he doesn't go into the cold face to get it. I'd figure he's instructed to be the link player once the ball is won at the cold face. During our third quarter burst, the sheer amount of running he did eclipsed even that of Hill and Smith. He got sold into danger a few times by his teammates aswell.

More often than not though we lose it at the cold face. More often than not he isn't used even when in good positions. More often than not this means he doesn't rack up the disposals, doesn't look flashy and looks to be a dead weight. He's not explosive or quick: I'd liken him to a Jordan Lewis. Problem is, he's being utilised as a Bradley Hill.

His best quarter to date was when we used him as an inside midfielder against Richmond in the last quarter, and he racked up 8 disposals, 3 score involvements and a goal. I think that the only reason he's not being used as an inside midfielder was because we already had Whitecross, Langford, Lewis, Hodge, Mitchell and Burgoyne in that role.

If he stays in the side, it has to be as an inside midfielder. He doesn't have the attributes required for an outside player apart from a massive tank. Calling him a list clogger is far from the truth.

Calling him a list clogger is far from the truth.

From what I see watching the Hawks, if a player is in best position he gets the ball given to him whenever possible.

I think his problems stem from wanting to play like a millionaire rather than do the dirty stuff. I've said it before, the guy needs to focus on tackling his ass off, he had 1 tackle today.

I am afraid I just don't see what this kid has. He isn't young and untried any more. Surely he wasn't recruited with firstly pick #2 and then pick #18 to be a slogger. Those draft picks are reserved for very good game breaking players. Has he ever actually done that? With either GWS or Hawthorn or even Box Hill? The best I have seen him produce is raking up a decent number of disposals (early 20's) but not do anything particularly damaging with them. Not sure if I am missing something but I feel like he is reputation is still based on a good TAC Cup 5yrs ago. As far as I can see he hasn't recaptured that form once since then.
Yeah I don't really rate him that highly. I think at this point he's good enough to get a game just but will never be to play we thought he was

Don't go off this game. a lot of players were down and poor. usual result from tassie. still has a bright future.

Only his second season at hawks and only just had his first proper pre-season for the first time. let him develop :)

Cannot believe he was pick #2...whilst he might still turn out to be a serviceable player in the future, that is all he will be. He has abolsutely no x-factor. He's not quick and his skills are not up to AFL standard. I have seen a heap more from Lovell, Stewart and Howe. There is still Willsmore & Woodward waiting for a shot as well. With the "oldies" going around again next season and if one of Tom Mitchell, Crouch or Omera land at the club next year, O'Rourke will be playing at Box Hill next season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back