Jonathan O'Rourke

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate, I'm not being a peanut. I'm agreeing with you. So much is taken out of context on a forum like this.
Ok, sorry.

I thought the 'boss' sounded a bit like 'princess' from your earlier post to the other guy

You don't need to call me boss. I'm not the 'boss'...I'm just one of the guys who tries to make sure this place runs smoothly, and that everyone gets along. We'd rather see everyone address each other respectfully as a rule, as we're all on the same side. It's not an unreasonable expectation.

Hasn't the JOR question/threads been done time and again? Why are we making a thread about the kid after he put in a solid game. He is only playing 70-75% of games on the field, in comparison guys like Mitch and Burger and Lewis play 85-90%.

He had 6 contested possession out of his 12, he kicked a vital goal under immense pressure and had 3 clearances.

With another 20 games under his belt, playing 85-90% of games were going to see a guy who is vital winning clearances and getting the footy 20+ times a game.

Great point. You can't underestimate that goal; yes he was 30 metres out, but it was a critical goal in a huge, pressure game at a vital time. And it was his first goal.

He shows some signs, I'd like to see him get a run.

And for the poster above, we would NOT have selected him because he was a No 2 draft pick, there's a lot more than that. Give some credit to Hawthorn recruiters.

I haven't really seen enough of him in order to form an opinion but I have seen him do a couple of good things. Remember, the club specifically targeted the lad so if Wright and co think he has the goods I'm happy to roll with that, has hasn't been picked up for the now, he is here for the tomorrow, getting games of footy into him now is all part of that, he might not work out but it's far to early make that call at this stage of his career

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was really impressed with his composure for the goal, I mean really who was the last kid we had that was instantly impressing everyone early? He was injured basically all of last year and still managed to impress the coaches enough for 2 games in the toughest team to crack. Stratton? Litherland (who had been our seconds for years) and Anderson who people got too excited over early, Sicily had spent a fair while in the seconds and got a game last year I think, he's made a better early impact than anyone and was drafted in 2013.
He needs a few years to form an impression.

For those who know him better than I do, what were the attributes that got him taken at no. 2?
Probably that SOS thought he was the second best player available

Ok so he's highly rated. Got picked up 2nd in the draft and GWS risked him by getting him to move state. Again, highly rated so they took a gamble.

Then he did his hammies (did a hammie before getting drafted as well). Broke a jaw. Did nothing in the two years with the Giants.

Now we have him. I hope he comes good cos with the impending retirements of Hodge, Mitchell and Burgers we need someone to fill the hole in the midfield. He's 22 years old I know, but Sydney seems to have a few youngsters that go and look bulky as well.

What I see is this: raking kick, good composure, a staright kick for goal, a thinker, physically needs to bulk up, still young, needs confidence.

If he comes good and we get O'Meara then we have Cyril, Breust, Smith, Hill and others to continue on and build a team.

But does anyone rate this guy? And why?

NB I've edited my original post as I felt it was unfair and simply I don't know much about him yet.
I've edited my original post.

Either way, the pressure is on him. We need top tier midfielders and SOON if we are to start building another team post retirements.

For those who know him better than I do, what were the attributes that got him taken at no. 2?
Decision making, ball winning, inside/outside game, kicking endurance and reasonable speed. He need experience at senior level to adjust to the pace of the game. Also for his team mates to look for him more. Gets ignored in good positions at the moment. In 30-50 games time I'm sure he will average over 20 a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Decision making, ball winning, inside/outside game, kicking endurance and reasonable speed. He need experience at senior level to adjust to the pace of the game. Also for his team mates to look for him more. Gets ignored in good positions at the moment. In 30-50 games time I'm sure he will average over 20 a game.

Cheers Brishawk.

Probably that SOS thought he was the second best player available

Strong sig to post correlation :thumbsu:

Cheers Brishawk.

Strong sig to post correlation :thumbsu:
We gave up 19 and 40 for JOR and pick 43 so I don't consider him a #2 pick which at the end of the day means nothing anyway.
Similar price to what we paid for Smith. If he can grow into as good a player for us as Smith I'd be happy.

We gave up 19 and 40 for JOR and pick 43 so I don't consider him a #2 pick which at the end of the day means nothing anyway.
Similar price to what we paid for Smith. If he can grow into as good a player for us as Smith I'd be happy.

If he can grow into a decent modern-type inside-outside player I'd be happy.

Yep I liked his game, with more confidence he will start demanding more of the ball. BTW Whitecross was great too, good to know he is still there if and when we need him.

No doubt whitecross Litherland and Jor are all playing for there futures at our footy club.

Clarko gives all 3 a sniff in a massive game to see who can handle it.

All 3 were serviceable.

No doubt whitecross Litherland and Jor are all playing for there futures at our footy club.

All 3 were serviceable.
I'd think JOR at least no, only his second year with us, no risk

Brishawk spot on.
From a pure athletic profile, good size, good runner, good endurance.
Footy wise, can play inside/outside, tidy disposal.

Has been building in the last 2 years. Give him time. You don't judge players after 20 games. Will need 50+ like ALL players. Is going to be a pivotal cog to our regeneration once Mitchell/Burgoyne/Hodge/Lewis are done.

All 3 were serviceable.
Whitey and Litherland, yes.
JOR - no. You don't give up pick 19 for a 2 year investment and 5 games.

His VFL performances in the last 8 or so weeks have been promising.

I agree that we need to be patient as I think JOR can be a player that will service the hawks well.
Had injuries at GWS and at the Hawks so we need to see how he'll be once he gets a few games together.
he shows all the attributes of a player, he was targeted as a inside/outside midfielder and not sure if he'll be a star
but has all the tools to become a very good player.
Good luck to him for the rest of the year...

The kid has had a pretty tough run with injuries that haven't allowed him any continuity in his game. Hampered by soft tissue injuries a lot have slowed development and limited the improvement in his game. He does show some very good signs though. He's very clean by hand and his foot skills appear good. His agility is a concern but having come off a hamstring injury and having a history in that area is probably a bit mental in terms of how hard he pushes off and changes direction in the early stages of his return. Hopefully Jack Russ can get his body into optimum shape and give him that confidence in his body.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back