Society/Culture Jordan B Peterson

Remove this Banner Ad

For example?

Groups/Individuals who rightly or wrongly manipulate and/or promote positions of oppression, in order to attract empathy, for the ultimate goal of attaining a consensus to seize power from their target of oppression, and institute their own goals.

It's a psychological framing mechanism.

Dafuq? Are you serious?

The labour movement of the last 150 years, the "equity" movement, gender quotas and gender theorists, blank slate proponents, UBI advocates, 90% of all sociologists in the last 50 years, anti-scientific biology deniers, anti-colonialists.... The list goes on, and they are all related to the class- or economic-based overhaul of western traditions and/or economic systems.

Now, some of those people/groups I agree with. Many I don't. Some draw on Marxist theory more than others, who draw more of their influence from thinking that came after him. But the thought train has moved along the same set of tracks from Marx's time and aim at the same thing - change.

Good post. All I could add is that I very much doubt it originated with Marx, and it is only presented in that manner due to it's contemporary relevance.

The NY Times published a piece today about a man who broke up with his girlfriend because she was white

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/29/...e-i-broke-up-with-her-because-shes-white.html

It’s not because he is racist, but because the racial aspect of their relationship alienated him from his friends, and ultimately her. This is only possible in cultural Marxism, where relationships between people are framed in terms of consciousness, whether that consciousness is race, class, sex etc.

You can’t be mates with the bourgeoisie, because it will ultimately make you a class traitor.

And it’s no unusual in these discussions to say how interracial relationships are bad because they are traitorous to ones race. Eg Asian women dating white men is wrong because it is a power relationship that reinforces the white mans status.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good post. All I could add is that I very much doubt it originated with Marx, and it is only presented in that manner due to it's contemporary relevance.
Yes, exactly. It's no longer economic overhaul in th name of communist utopia (thank Judd), but the oppressor/oppressed lens through which Marx saw the world has been morphed into a cultural / gender / race lens with which everything is viewed through. For some, anyway.

The NY Times published a piece today about a man who broke up with his girlfriend because she was white

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/29/...e-i-broke-up-with-her-because-shes-white.html

It’s not because he is racist, but because the racial aspect of their relationship alienated him from his friends, and ultimately her. This is only possible in cultural Marxism, where relationships between people are framed in terms of consciousness, whether that consciousness is race, class, sex etc.

You can’t be mates with the bourgeoisie, because it will ultimately make you a class traitor.

And it’s no unusual in these discussions to say how interracial relationships are bad because they are traitorous to ones race. Eg Asian women dating white men is wrong because it is a power relationship that reinforces the white mans status.
Inter-racial relationships not working because of any issue about race is not evidence of cultural marxism.

Who is everyone's favourite self-identified cultural Marxist?

I'm struggling to find a definitive list.

They don't identify that way because it would be an acknowledgment that Communism has failed, the revolution won't happen and all they are left with is trying to influence society by bogus means such as identity politics, the gender wage gap and 'patriarchy'.

They don't identify that way because it would be an acknowledgment that Communism has failed, the revolution won't happen and all they are left with is trying to influence society by bogus means such as identity politics, the gender wage gap and 'patriarchy'.
So they all really want communism, but will play out by reinforcing capitalism?

Sure.

"And then the post-modernists came on to the scene and they were all Marxists. But they couldn't be Marxists anymore...so they started to play a sleight of hand". He then descends into the oppressor = lots of groups stuff.

Where is the direct quote where he is wrong?

Your context and timestamp please. Any credible supporting rebuttal materials would also be good.

The piece actually goes into how woke culture makes it difficult to maintain an interracial relationship.
I guess it depends whether you attribute critical race theory and white privilege et al to the "woke" virtue-signally culture. Is being woke about seeking equity for non-whites, or is it something else?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back