Society/Culture Jordan B Peterson

Remove this Banner Ad

Seriously? You claim to understand Nietzsche but you are struggling with this?

Two individuals who have casual sex do not necessarily take responsibility for their progeny, hence every Western country imposing a mandatory government child support scheme.

Oh?.....And here I was imagining that child support was to encourage people to have children....In fact, wasn't the government paying upwards of $5 gees per child not that long ago?

Where fore art thou thy Ubermensch?

Oh?.....And here I was imagining that child support was to encourage people to have children....In fact, wasn't the government paying upwards of $5 gees per child not that long ago?

FMD. Child support is not the state paying parents to have children. It is the state imposing payments from one parent to another.

Could you be a bit more specific? And also perhaps a bit less of a dickhead?
I happy to do both.

Peterson is heir to a tradition of centre-right commentators who take aim at campus leftists, the radicals who are shitting (sometimes literally) on Western culture. First came William F. Buckley Jr, then Allan Bloom, then Harold Bloom, then Peterson.
Yep. In this regard, he's a bit hackneyed.

As schools and colleges become dedicated to “workplace preparation”, it’s possible for educated people, even university-educated people, to encounter almost no philosophy or difficult literature at all, not even by osmosis.
Yep. The notion of university's as hubs of leftist dissent is stupid.

Perhaps it’s no accident that a psychologist is making such a spirited defence of reason, logic, data and fact at the precise moment that psychology and psychiatry hit such deep trouble on those fronts.It’s no exaggeration to say that the last decade has been a disaster for these fields: we now know that up to half of all psychology experiments have had non-reproducible results.
My quibble here is that he is lauded for much of his stuff that is purely values based. Or conspiratorial political junk.

Partly because it is so diffuse, Peterson’s thinking invites all kinds of strange comparisons, running all the way to Nazism.
Yeah, no.

This writer is mistaking all of Jordy's analysis for genuine intellectual advocacy; a fair bit of it is pure political red meat. Peterson knows it.

Overall, the writer gives a flyover. Some of his points had me thinking he's given the same passing over that Peterson's fans have have given Marx. I'd like to see if Jordy attributed post-modernism to FOucault's inability to get laid.

Maybe didn't watch the required 438 hours of lectures to have an authoritative opinion.

When someone has a religious like fervor about someone I guess it's hard to find any criticism as acceptable.

Thought it was a well written piece making some telling points.
My apologies - I didn't see the link on my phone, which is what I meant by being a bit more specific. Thought it was a comment without any info.

The dickhead comment still stands. Don't know why you take that attitude into this discussion.

I happy to do both.

Yep. In this regard, he's a bit hackneyed.

Yep. The notion of university's as hubs of leftist dissent is stupid.

My quibble here is that he is lauded for much of his stuff that is purely values based. Or conspiratorial political junk.

Yeah, no.

This writer is mistaking all of Jordy's analysis for genuine intellectual advocacy; a fair bit of it is pure political red meat. Peterson knows it.

Overall, the writer gives a flyover. Some of his points had me thinking he's given the same passing over that Peterson's fans have have given Marx. I'd like to see if Jordy attributed post-modernism to FOucault's inability to get laid.

Maybe didn't watch the required 438 hours of lectures to have an authoritative opinion.
For shits and gigs, here's my take:

right now the foremost conservative intellectual in America is a Jungian self-help book author fixated on crustaceans, who can’t say whether Jesus existed or not.
We aren't off to a good start here. Conservative is a lazy label given the spectrum of political views Peterson holds. Fixated on crustaceans is tabloid writing, designed to make the subject seem strange by focusing on the analogy rather than its meaning. Peterson has never question whether Jesus existed or not. In fact I am certain he has stated (like most) that there's not much doubt he did.

In substance, he’s such a radical departure that it borders on the bizarre.
Called it!

Imagine telling William F. Buckley that faith in Christ is an evolutionary adaptation on par with big testicles
Wut

but for conservatives, libertarians and assorted internet idiots to look to mystical psychoanalysis for a defence of rationality and science, something major must have changed. Specifically, something major must be missing.
"Internet idiots". Cool. The mystical psychoanalysis is a very valid way of interpreting pre-enlightenment religious texts. That's blatantly obvious. I'm not sure where the author believes Peterson is trying to use that particular area of study with the defense of rationalism and science.

It wasn’t Peterson’s writings that made him famous – he released Maps of Meaning to near anonymity – it was his refusal to be compelled to use transgender pronouns. The “anti-PC” types that flocked just had so little other cultural ballast that they signed on for the lot. Come for the transphobia, stay for the Jung.
What a flog. What transphobia? Refusal to use compelled speech (whether that was a correct interpretation of the law or not) is what that was all about, as stated numerous times by Peterson who also has no issue with referring to trans people by the gender they present as. If thinking made up pronouns like zym and xer are transphobic, then I'm guilty too. And also everyone is an idiot.

As the poor writing piles up I find it harder to stay engaged. I've flicked through the rest. Didn't see much that was interesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok I see your primary school game.
Is my primary school game detracting from your request to post my IQ so you can post yours?

[/QUOTE]You have no response to this.[/QUOTE]
His IQ doesn't defeat my argument.

The notion that it does is dependent on your intellectual credibility as the person making the argument.

The fact you are wanting to compare IQs on a football forum means you've essentially ruled yourself ineligible to be considered intelligent.

Is my primary school game detracting from your request to post my IQ so you can post yours?
You have no response to this.[/QUOTE]
His IQ doesn't defeat my argument.

The notion that it does is dependent on your intellectual credibility as the person making the argument.

The fact you are wanting to compare IQs on a football forum means you've essentially ruled yourself ineligible to be considered intelligent.[/QUOTE]

Then why are you making arguments on a footy forum?

Run along and attend your Jenny Craig meeting.

You also screwed up a simple quote which makes your post unreadable. Get your broke arse act together.

Another piece of boring generic character assassination.
The great shame is that there were a couple of bits which actually would have been interesting if they were given more thought and explanation, and not sandwiched in between the typical smug critique style of one-upmanship writers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back