Jordan Gysberts

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2009
CR0
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
Based on what we have seen in Curnow, the continued development of Mitch, and those we have waiting in the wings, does anyone else think this name will haunt us in future years?

Kid can play, one of the few that will be able to hold his head up after a crap performance by Melbourne today.

Gysberts has ran around in his four games without an opponent, so that needs to be taken into account with his performances. He is a good player that can win his own ball, whose disposal lets him down at times. Sound familiar?

I have been a critic of the McLean trade since we did it, but four games is way too early to call anything with this trade. Look at the Warnock trade, it took nearly two years for Warnock to show anything, but it's now looking like the right decision was made.

I wouldn't hang my hat on his performace against the likely wooden spooners, in fact it's troubling for the Dees that they barely beat the Lions

We weren't going to pick him, and his performances haven't been outstanding anyway.

Solid player but nothing more than that.

We traded for Brock because we needed a player like him. That's solid logic. Anyone who attacks the club over the rationale behind the trade is a moron.

What has happened since then is unfortunate but noone is at fault. It happens.

I can tell you know that I certainly havent and won't be losing any sleep over the fact that Gysberts isn't in Navy Blue.

We dont need gysberts on our list at all. No jealousy there at all.

We would like Mclean to get on the park as a different issue and show some value to us. I've been a fan of Mclean but with Curnow/Robinson showing enough, it reduces the need for him. So when he gets injured or shows hes a bit slow, there is a slight query there. Also, due to his slowness I cant see him playing when he is 29/30...so his value is now to 27/28.

Lucas as a mid type player would like to show a bit more determination as well. Right now he has got a lot of time on his side but the truly good ones make a position for themselves straight awaythrough class/grit...he is not doing that.

He is tracking like a replacement for a Simpson type to me. This is different from an attitude of, "**** you, i'm so good you cant afford to leave me out!".

We'll know more end of 2011 for Mclean and end of 2012 for Lucas.

Meh, shit trade for Mclean but whatever. That happens to every club, I won't be losing any sleep over it whatsoever.

If it makes you feel better, think of it as we traded Fevola for McLean and Henderson, big winners there ;)

I heard Swan on SEN a month or so ago when questioned on the Mclean trade with the caller mentioning Gysberts to which Swan responded. "We may not have taken Gysberts with that pick".
I think that should put a full stop to the entire debate.

Who's to say we would have got Gysberts. Yes it looks at this stage that getting McLean was a shocker. We payed far too much. At this stage. It's been over a season and he's yet to fire a shot, not great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard Swan on SEN a month or so ago when questioned on the Mclean trade with the caller mentioning Gysberts to which Swan responded. "We may not have taken Gysberts with that pick".

May is hardly convincing evidence, but the fact Melbourne picked Gysberts means the debate is correct. When judging the Judd trade, we all talk about Masten, Notte and Kennedy, when judging the Warnock trade, we talk about Suban. Future talk of the Jacobs trade will include McCarthy comparisons.

It doesn't matter that we might not of picked Gysberts, because Melbourne did.

Some good points to answer my question, seems I am in the minority.

All of those who have said we may not have taken Gysberts are 100% correct. Jordan Gysberts, however, will forever represent the very high price we paid in a trade that has thus far done little, if anything, to improve our club. Would having another developing first round pick on our list represent a better circumstance?

To choo, sorry, I didn't realise the Carlton Board wasn't the place to raise issues related to the Carlton FC. Apologies.

Who's to say we would have got Gysberts. Yes it looks at this stage that getting McLean was a shocker. We payed far too much. At this stage. It's been over a season and he's yet to fire a shot, not great.

Took well over 12 months for the Warnock trade to show that we were the winners there. Brock has probably been mis-managed in his recovery from injuries in the past and the club is now working on not only fixing any current issues but the past ones as well.

I dont mind the club taking a bit longer to bring back a player who has had as many problematic injuries as Brock has (refer back to Knockers again) and getting his body absolutely right to maximise his playing potential for the club.

We weren't going to pick him, and his performances haven't been outstanding anyway.

Solid player but nothing more than that.

We traded for Brock because we needed a player like him. That's solid logic. Anyone who attacks the club over the rationale behind the trade is a moron.

What has happened since then is unfortunate but noone is at fault. It happens.

I can tell you know that I certainly havent and won't be losing any sleep over the fact that Gysberts isn't in Navy Blue.
We took a risk and it's most likely going to bite us in the future.Carlton can never admit to themselves they did the mistake until a few years later and still don't.We at least found a descent player in Curnow but would have more depth with Gysbert.Shaun Grigg should have taken Carrazoo spot as a tagger although he also kicks poorly with a bit of pressure.

No club would give away a first round pick to pick up a injury prone player who isn't quick.The club always take the easy way like trading Fevola and getting a first round pick with player then trading the one they had also.

The club should hold on at all cost as many first round pick they rarely fail. The only ones that fail is when the recruiter is a dud who looks at the guys education and how he wears a tie then his footy skills or the real bad seeds.

Gysberts has ran around in his four games without an opponent, so that needs to be taken into account with his performances. He is a good player that can win his own ball, whose disposal lets him down at times. Sound familiar?

I have been a critic of the McLean trade since we did it, but four games is way too early to call anything with this trade. Look at the Warnock trade, it took nearly two years for Warnock to show anything, but it's now looking like the right decision was made.
The difference is Warnock age is young in Ruckman years plus we didn't give much away except money maybe.The draft picks were after Round 2 picks meaning more spuds Rudds then Judds. The other thing Ruckmen are not easy to find.

Carlton had a near decade of no descent Ruckmen.The draft every year midfielders are their from great to pretty ordinary.The club had players already in the club that could do the same job just not the games into them.

but would have more depth with Gysbert.

No, we'd have less.

Shaun Grigg should have taken Carrazoo spot as a tagger

Grigg has played one good game as a shut down player and that was at half forward, apart from that he's struggled badly in those roles.

The club always take the easy way like trading Fevola and getting a first round pick with player then trading the one they had also.

Why ban this pest and then allow him to keep making dumb arse trolls under a different name?

Saying you'd rather Gysberts is a hindsight exercise. I don't think he's been that amazing anyway.

Regardless, i still think the McLean trade wasn't well though out. Injury plagued to hell. I can't question the thinking of the club in trading in an inside midfielder. It's quite clear we needed one.

But the chips weren't stacked in our favour with McLean due to his history. We're now paying the consequences. We took a punt and, so far, we're losing.

All i can say is thank Christ for Ed Curnow.

Well yes that what every normal person would say at this moment you don't want to look foolish at this stage.It's like a poker face you don't want to show all you cards till it's over.Mclean might come out bang bang second half of the year or go flop flop flop we will all be intrigued either way.Gysbert will be a good player you can see it already.He would have been handy but that deal been done.Sometimes you win and lose sometimes we will see.

Most people in the media probably think we lost in the deal if you take the account of Carlton best 22 his not listed in it.The majority didn't have him on the list a experienced player ahead of Duigan and Laidler that a worry.I hope he comes out and proves us all wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back