News Lochie O’Brien and Jordan Boyd Re-sign for 2 more years

Remove this Banner Ad

Just tough as nails and could be midfielder that gets 10+ contested touches a week if he got fit.
"If he got fit"

We can deal with hypotheticals all day or we can deal with the reality that after 4 years he wasn't fit enough to play the role you are suggesting.

I love Stock and am disappointed to see him go but at some point you've just got to pull the plug if it's not working out.
That sorta footy stands up in finals more than the way o brien plays. Think that’s been shown by the first week of finals with the pressure game going through the roof. Had only 3 contested touches a game. I get that it’s his role but contested footy goes up a lot more in finals and he has shown repeatedly he doesn’t handle that well, the pressure gets to him and his elite trait of kicking worsens. He fumbles a lot under that heat too. I think stocker has more self belief which is an underrated trait in a footballer. I think if he gets fit he’s made for the big moments stock and I hope he gets that opportunity at another club

Pressure does tend to go through the roof come September but that doesn't mean outside leaning players don't have a role to play.

Look at the best wings in the game. Most don't get many more than 3 contested touches per game so I don't think that's anywhere near as big an issue as you're trying to suggest.

Who do you think are the best wings in the game? How many played last weekend and how many contested possessions did they get?

Outside players aren't there to accumulate contested possessions any more than they are to contest in the ruck.

Being fully honest and I don't know exactly why but I felt after the Hawthorn game that Boyd wasn't going to make it, very glad to be wrong as after that it seems like he got up to speed with the game around him and his disposal became a highlight to watch as it just stood out how accurate and with Saad would be a fantastic conbo for disposal out of defence.

As for LOB, definitely worked hard to improve and clearly got some reward out of it. Might have benefited from the new coaching regime as I don't think the previous one were fans of his.

Happy with Boyd cause I believe he’s in our best side next year.

I feel like O’Briens about to get whipped hard in here. Had a good year but it’s strange considering we are actually after wingmen and he’s kept a spot over stocker who definitely does have more upside despite the fitness issues and whatever else is going on
In what universe does Stocker have more upside other than the imagination land one?

We all hoped for it because of the romance of his draft selection but it's just not there.

LOB is fitter, better short and long distance runner, better kick, more involved, more touches, improved attacking on the ball and tackling (more room to move).

Will potentially move to elite fitness next year and move up to an 18-20 possession winger who can lace out forwards.

Lob cops a lot of s**t but would be one of our most improved players this year. Clearly has shown a willingness to learn and prepare properly, so professionalism is a big tick.

Lots of people going to eat their word.

Stocker was delisted by the powers that be when measured against a strict set of criteria (whatever they are, but probably professional standards being near the top). At the end of the season he wasn't even in our top 5 small defenders. That's a long way down the depth chart,and for anyone with eyes and a modicum of football knowledge, a mile away from playing mid in the seniors. Like literally unplayable in that position.

If he ends up starting mid for the Bombers next year we'll beat them by 15goals.

Boyd is also immeasurably better than him. Can't wait to see 20 games from Boyd.

It's time to let go of the fantasy and wish him best of luck.

Not sure on Boyd, he looks the goods but a bit concerning that he got injured within a few games in the seniors. Hopefully his body can hold up to the rigours of afl footy. Love that obi got his just due rewards. Worked his back side off all season. Get his strength up this preseason and he’ll be one to really be excited about next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy with both of these. Pointless trying to compare Stocker and LOB, play different positions with different depth profiles on the list. Beem saying it for a while, LOB is gonna creep up on people over the next couple of years. Is dilligently working away on his weaknesses, smoothing off the rough edges as it were.

Comparing Boyd and Stocker, though, I was mildly surprised to see that Boyd wins out in most stat averages for the year.

More than happy to see him ply his trade again next year. Hope he can put together 20+ games and build some continuity with the backline group and connectivity with the mids and forwards. Boyd, Saad and Gov in the backline, some combination of LOB, Acres* and Sholl* on the wings - hopefully we can make precision kicking a staple of our brand.

Good on both of them. You can see how Lochie has worked on his deficiencies and got himself back into the mix. If he keeps up that effort to get better, think he's got another couple of gears to go. I had reservations on his physicality in a finals like game, but I was really impressed by how he competed in round 23, broke even in a lot of contests. Hoping he can keep that up and use his sometimes elite kicking to hurt teams the other way

Really bullish on Boyd. He's courageous and I think his kicking can be a weapon from defence

LOB should continue to work on his deficiencies but we also need to use his strengths better. He’s not a great kick when under pressure but he can be elite when he has two seconds to lower the eyes and decide which target to hit up. He won’t always get those two seconds but we can try to get him that because forward 50 entries remain a big challenge for us. As an elite runner he can create some space on opponents and we need to get the ball to him in space or a mark that gives him a little extra time to assess and execute. If we do that he will be seen as elite. Just like Kennedy suddenly seems elite because he only plays 60-70% game time. No player is perfect so a lot of it is getting the best out of each player on the team.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Two top level kicks. I reckon running and kicking is something we are favouring at Carlton and these two have it. I haven't included Boyd in my Best 22 teams but the more I think about it the more I feel that he just might be. Love his kicking, speed, intensity and effort at the contest. Just plays the game the right way. Boyd comes on, McGovern and Marchbank get fit, we could see Docherty and Williams playing more midfield minutes. Both these two really matured and improved through the season.

Two top level kicks. I reckon running and kicking is something we are favouring at Carlton and these two have it. I haven't included Boyd in my Best 22 teams but the more I think about it the more I feel that he just might be. Love his kicking, speed, intensity and effort at the contest. Just plays the game the right way. Boyd comes on, McGovern and Marchbank get fit, we could see Docherty and Williams playing more midfield minutes. Both these two really matured and improved through the season.

Gman, Boyd will be best 22 and you will loke it

Happy with Boyd cause I believe he’s in our best side next year.

I feel like O’Briens about to get whipped hard in here. Had a good year but it’s strange considering we are actually after wingmen and he’s kept a spot over stocker who definitely does have more upside despite the fitness issues and whatever else is going on
Boyd looked great the times he played HB in 2022...wantred the footy,got the footy,liked his job........got the job!

LOB has had a long road.....very good runner,he is fit,covers the distance over the 4 quarters,he was in the VFL a while when some thought he was finished,however he can move ok with an effective kick....

i wasnt never that convinced in him.....however i belive he should be good enough,he outworked setterfield in a similar spot even tho Setterfield isnt really a winger[mid]....him Cotters,and Ackers ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back