News Marchy, Cunners & S.Durdin re-sign

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"

THE CARLTON Football Club is pleased to announce defenders Caleb Marchbank and Sam Durdin and forward David Cuningham have re-signed with the Blues for another year. 

The trio’s recommitment to the Club will see them each add further chapters to their own unique stories of football resilience. 

Yes sound List management, there’ll most certainly be another overhaul of the playing list end 2024. FlexibilIty in our SC space will allow us to maximize any developing opportunitie during trade weeks.

Marchbank went from injured all the time list clogger to our CHB over the season and finished pretty well. Looking forward to seeing what a filly fit Marchbank can do. He's a great runner, gives us an extra rebounding defender.

Durdin gets to play on two of the league's best tall forwards every match sim so they would know how reliable he is. Feel he could play a few games next season and we would be happy with him. Former high draft pick in the prime of his career in a strong side, he will go well. Think he's gone past Young for that next tall defender spot.

Cuningham did really well to come back and play AFL after no footy for a few years. Missed a lot of his development years. Had some good games and some quiet ones. Spent time in the middle. A preseason into him he could get even better.

Very happy we kept S.Durdin. I rate him if he can stay fit. Will really help Weitering.

The three signings say to me we know Fisher Dow are going and we know where we stand with our targets

None of these three will cost much and we will have money for some serious recruiting end of next year

Last edited:
Yes sound List management, there’ll most certainly be another overhaul of the playing list end 2024. FlexibilIty in our SC space will allow us to maximize any developing opportunitie during trade weeks.
There will categorically NOT an overhaul of the playing list at the end of 2024. Bookmark we will not have more than four main list changes. Maybe an extra rookie or two after elevations.

The one year deals are logical. I applaud the players for not chasing more $’s or longer terms at this stage. Hoping for better years on the availability front for all of them.

If Marchy and Cunners can get strong pre seasons behind them, they have higher levels to reach next season.

There will categorically NOT an overhaul of the playing list at the end of 2024. Bookmark we will not have more than four main list changes. Maybe an extra rookie or two after elevations.
Who really knows. Long way to go.

Important thing is we are in a position with SC and many players on one year deals to make changes or bring in players if needed

Very happy we kept S.Durdin. I rate him if he can stay fit. Will really help Weitering.

The three signings say to me we know Fisher Dow are going and we know where we stand with our targets

None of these three will cost much and we will have money for some serious recruiting end of next year
Yep, I reckon Austin and Cook have now balanced the books with these re-signings.

I totally agree with big Nigel - looked really good in the preseason up against our big forwards, more than a handy back up. These were from my ramblings after the open training sessions earlier this year:

Nigel Durdin will be more than just a handy back up KPD. Has done nothing wrong at all this pre season matched up against Charles and H, and there's probably a fair reason why he was originally a 1st round pick
Great summary!!!

Wouldn't mind giving a little shout out to Nigel Durdin as well - has been solid as a rock all preseason in the last line of defence.

Any reason we are waiting until end of next season to target recruits if we have cap space? Is this based on draft capital and player availability not suiting our needs?

Any reason we are waiting until end of next season to target recruits if we have cap space? Is this based on draft capital and player availability not suiting our needs?

We are targeting what we believe we need now. Hollands, Sinn etc. If an Oliver or Smith, for example, came our way and we wanted them we could do it. Next year (if needed) we can go after some big names or we may even do a Jack Bowes deal? Who knows. The point is we will be in a position to take advantage of what ever comes our way

By this time next year we will have a very clear opinion on names like Lemmey O'Keefe Akuei Carroll Cincotta Mirkov and names like S.Durdin Marchbank Cuningham Fogarty will need to keep performing to get new deals

I honestly don't believe there are any really big names out there that we desperately want or need. This year is about keep list mostly intact and adding some younger talent and needs

The one year deals are logical. I applaud the players for not chasing more $’s or longer terms at this stage. Hoping for better years on the availability front for all of them.

If Marchy and Cunners can get strong pre seasons behind them, they have higher levels to reach next season.

With Fisher and Dow likely departing, that makes 7 off the full list, if we get a reasonable bite for Young, that's 8

Clubs average 8-9 changes a year over the last decade, can't see that changing, even for us

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Fisher and Dow likely departing, that makes 7 off the full list, if we get a reasonable bite for Young, that's 8

Clubs average 8-9 changes a year over the last decade, can't see that changing, even for us
Thankfully the days of 13-15 changes are behind us.

Great signings by the club.

Did DC get a trigger clause for a second year like expected or did they make him settle on a "prove it and earn it" contract?

Sorry. Really struggling with white backgrounds lately and haven't been on my other platforms.

Credit and thanks to Chief - dark mode is easier to read than other sites versions of it

Yep, I reckon Austin and Cook have now balanced the books with these re-signings.

I totally agree with big Nigel - looked really good in the preseason up against our big forwards, more than a handy back up. These were from my ramblings after the open training sessions earlier this year:
Nigel's always had the ability to stand out at AFL level. That's not why you was listed from North Melbourne. It's been his ability to stay on the Park. If you could do that then he could easily step into our best 22 next year. Would be a difference maker and enable us to rotate with injury and soreness as required.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back