Toast Cowan & Hollands re-sign

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't clubs and players have the ability to renegotiate the $$$ of the contract based on merit and performance after the first 2 years anyway?

Yep, that's one - and a particularly high profile one.

Any others?
I don't really feel like going through the history of the competition for you.

And there probably isn't many examples of player rejecting these contracts regardless because of the peer pressure to sign. Which is exactly why I don't like it.

And there probably isn't many examples of player rejecting these contracts regardless because of the peer pressure to sign. Which is exactly why I don't like it.

I feel you've missed the point. There may be many examples.

It wouldn't be something widely reported on though - and therefore not a terrible look - because very few would be privy to it. Unless there's a public spat or other extreme circumstance, a la JHF, Boyd.

It is possible that they have been signed early for a discount, but it is a 2 way street.

These boys now know that they are locked in and this can have a lot of emotional stability on a young player finding their way.

If they perform to their ceiling or better throughout the contract I think the club will look after them long term and lets hope that there will still be that mutual sense of belonging that our club has fostered over the years.

I'm also of the opinion that, particularly early on, big money for young players can be a mill stone and there should always be a sense of having earnt what you are paid.

And...... lets face it these teenagers are going to be earning big bickies compared to their peers and most of population if they play for 6-10 years.

I've never liked it when other clubs do this. Disappointed to see Carlton do it.

Feels like taking advantage of young players wanting to prove themselves in a new workplace. Not a fan.

Look at it from the other angle - they likely have very experienced managers that know exactly what it means when a club comes knocking so early for a re-sign.

It also only takes one major injury to ruin a career

These 2 young men are locked in for 4 years now no matter what happens, that side of it is a win for them. Not just at any old club either, at the club they grew up supporting. Literally living the dream

Did the club get a likely discount? Yep. Tipping all parties are happy though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure I understand the gripe

Both lads very eager to be locked in long term.

Club has shown faith in their work ethic, character and drive to improve.

Both will be taken care of down the line should they develop as they and club believe.

All parties very happy. Can now develop naturally without contract pressure.

Smart business.

Add: word around is that the club and existing playing group couldn't have possibly asked two new kids to have bought into the club and player culture anymore than what these two have.

Are you annoyed that they as 18 year olds have been presented contracts extending their employment at the club for a further 2 years at around $300k per year?

A player can walk out on a contract at anytime let's remember. So what is it you have a major problem with?

Extend them early for unders, smart list management

I've always thought that 1st round draft picks should get guaranteed, 4 year contracts, locked in at "X" amount of dollars. Similar to what the NFL does with their 1st round picks. Say something like Pick 1 would get:

Pick 1 - 4 years x 275K
Pick 2 - 4 years x 268K
Pick 3 - 4 years at 261K

etc etc whatever the figures may be.

My thoughts anyway

I've never liked it when other clubs do this. Disappointed to see Carlton do it.

Feels like taking advantage of young players wanting to prove themselves in a new workplace. Not a fan.
Pretty Sure their Managers would knock it on the head if it was a bum deal.
I'd say it was fair, the Club is showing them they are happy and have confidence in them, and it's sends a message to the fringe players to pull their heads in and get serious because these guys are already fair-dinkum.

I've always thought that 1st round draft picks should get guaranteed, 4 year contracts,

I agree with this. It's always struck me as silly that the standard AFL draftee contract is two years regardless of where in the ND you were selected. Surely there should longer term security for players drafted at the pointy end of the draft as clubs have already shown greater faith in them by using a higher selection.

This is especially so given the freedom players enjoy like Horne-Francis getting home to South Australia after only his first year.

Longer contracts may also benefit those kids coming into the system who are genuine high end talents but who got hurt in their draft year.

I agree with this. It's always struck me as silly that the standard AFL draftee contract is two years regardless of where in the ND you were selected. Surely there should longer term security for players drafted at the pointy end of the draft as clubs have already shown greater faith in them by using a higher selection.

This is especially so given the freedom players enjoy like Horne-Francis getting home to South Australia after only his first year.

Longer contracts may also benefit those kids coming into the system who are genuine high end talents but who got hurt in their draft year.

The players get the added benefit of longer security and clubs get the benefit in more certainty in salary cap planning if a player is locked in at a set 4 year salary. I'd add 2nd round draft picks should/ would get a two year guaranteed contract. 3rd rounders onwards, a one year contract.

The players get the added benefit of longer security and clubs get the benefit in more certainty in salary cap planning if a player is locked in at a set 4 year salary. I'd add 2nd round draft picks should/ would get a two year guaranteed contract. 3rd rounders onwards, a one year contract.

No need to change the latter rounds. Keep them at two otherwise you're putting undue pressure on kids unlikely to play or who have been drafted as slow burn prospects.

I've always thought that 1st round draft picks should get guaranteed, 4 year contracts, locked in at "X" amount of dollars. Similar to what the NFL does with their 1st round picks. Say something like Pick 1 would get:

Pick 1 - 4 years x 275K
Pick 2 - 4 years x 268K
Pick 3 - 4 years at 261K

etc etc whatever the figures may be.

My thoughts anyway
The draft is technically illegal as it is without forcing 18 year olds to sign four year contracts to work on the other side of the country away from family and friends.

4 years is just asking for a legal challenge.

Contracts mean shite if someone really wants to leave and is unhappy and you can look at it both ways, if they exceed expectations the club wins .. they get a bad injury or we sign them up like we did Dow then as a club we are stuck with them but I like it. Has a NFL feel to it if anyone watched the NFL where you stack your top end and try and get good rookies or put players on longer cheaper contracts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back