Senior 20. Elijah Hollands

Remove this Banner Ad

You can be as judgemental all you like, but at the end of the day , these elite athletes are human beings and have the same needs and wants that we all have. One of them is to enjoy themselves and have a break from their schedule.
A lot of us non elite athletes smoke or have a drink. Its an age old solution to a genetic code that we all have inbuilt; Some more than others.
We all know why smoking and drinking is counter productive to elite performance, and these kids know this.

illicit drugs have become normalised for a large part of the younger generation- take a look at California who seems to be leading the way. Newsome is about to legalise psychedelics( mushrooms) they have legalised weed. There are even people on the street brazenly advertising free fentanyl across the road from schools. My point is illicit drugs have become more socially acceptable in the same way smoking and drinking has in the past. Dont get me wrong, I dont agree with it, but that doesnt stop it being the reality.

So the bread crumbs are that an inbuilt need that cant be solved legally (smoking and drinking) because of elite performance, has to be solved by "other means"; These kids have lots of money and few commitments. There is no social deterrence, and so many of them dabble in illicit substances. Does this make them bad kids- IMO no, not if they are dabbling. But dealing or full on addiction is a definite hard No and they should not be around our clubs . The recruiting team know this , and know the difference. I dont believe EH would have been looked at otherwise.
dabbling - good kids, addiction - bad kids............?

You can be as judgemental all you like, but at the end of the day , these elite athletes are human beings and have the same needs and wants that we all have. One of them is to enjoy themselves and have a break from their schedule.
A lot of us non elite athletes smoke or have a drink. Its an age old solution to a genetic code that we all have inbuilt; Some more than others.
We all know why smoking and drinking is counter productive to elite performance, and these kids know this.

illicit drugs have become normalised for a large part of the younger generation- take a look at California who seems to be leading the way. Newsome is about to legalise psychedelics( mushrooms) they have legalised weed. There are even people on the street brazenly advertising free fentanyl across the road from schools. My point is illicit drugs have become more socially acceptable in the same way smoking and drinking has in the past. Dont get me wrong, I dont agree with it, but that doesnt stop it being the reality.

So the bread crumbs are that an inbuilt need that cant be solved legally (smoking and drinking) because of elite performance, has to be solved by "other means"; These kids have lots of money and few commitments. There is no social deterrence, and so many of them dabble in illicit substances. Does this make them bad kids- IMO no, not if they are dabbling. But dealing or full on addiction is a definite hard No and they should not be around our clubs . The recruiting team know this , and know the difference. I dont believe EH would have been looked at otherwise.

I'm not after a lecture on drugs and society...

Reality is, the kid got busted, he will cop his fair whack. No doubt having been aware of this, we were able to negotiate GC to give him up for less than they normally would have. Now it will be up to him to work on regaining trust, learn from his mistakes and put his best foot forward.

I hope he learns his lesson. No doubt his situation got us a discount as I'm sure GC are happy to let someone else deal with the court case etc. We've been here before when we picked up Lawrence Angwin from Adelaide a few years ago, high draft pick with a troubled history including drugs that we picked up at a discount, lets hope this bloke works out better. Going to be difficult for him to become part of any marketing stuff, kids clinics, selling merch, extra sponsors or cash for appearances etc etc.

I hope he learns his lesson. No doubt his situation got us a discount as I'm sure GC are happy to let someone else deal with the court case etc. We've been here before when we picked up Lawrence Angwin from Adelaide a few years ago, high draft pick with a troubled history including drugs that we picked up at a discount, lets hope this bloke works out better. Going to be difficult for him to become part of any marketing stuff, kids clinics, selling merch, extra sponsors or cash for appearances etc etc.
Lotta club stuff this year has been about them writing their own story. I'd reckon that Elijah will be working his ARSE off to get his story back on track, especially alongside his bro.

Had to give a LOVE to your post for that beautiful big ARSE (very topical)
mqdefault.jpg

I suspect just getting ahead as this would be in the public domain soon. I'm surprised it wasn't already tbh. Sounds like some media figures might have already known and been tight lipped.
It wouldn't surprise me if there weren't a series of open secrets in the wider AFL media, but they require official go ahead before reporting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It wouldn't surprise me if there weren't a series of open secrets in the wider AFL media, but they require official go ahead before reporting.

Absolutely true and one of the reasons I try and stay completely away from the nasty stuff until it's public news (essentially verified).

What I know about this one is that both clubs knew before trade week and that neither team were overly concerned with it. If we were we'd have stepped away. This wasn't dumped on us after the fact.

Going to be interesting to see how he goes next year, we are crying out for a hf/dynamic mid to slot into the team, I think it's a great pick up on potential.
Is the blues the right club and catalyst for him to flourish, I think so
Can anyone think of an underperforming high draft pick that changed clubs and flourished ?

Going to be interesting to see how he goes next year, we are crying out for a hf/dynamic mid to slot into the team, I think it's a great pick up on potential.
Is the blues the right club and catalyst for him to flourish, I think so
Can anyone think of an underperforming high draft pick that changed clubs and flourished ?
"underperformed" needs to be put in the context of only 14 senior games (three as sub) in a period where the young bloke endured both ACL recovery and COVID.

All under the tutelage of big Stewy Dew!

It's likely the wrong word.

I suspect just getting ahead as this would be in the public domain soon. I'm surprised it wasn't already tbh. Sounds like some media figures might have already known and been tight lipped.
Perfectly orchestrated by the afl so it didn’t break during the trade period. My mail is that 2 reporters were gagged heavily by their own organizations because the AFL basically said they would cut them off…

Reminds me of the Buddy/Hodge situation from many years ago…

Was out in front with Walsh, Cottrell, Binns and his brother running A couple of laps of Princes Park this morning.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I doubt many teams have 5 endurance runners as good as those guys. All 5 are sub 6:00 minute 2km runners. Could probably add Charlie to that group. Wouldn't be surprised if O.Hollands or Binns manages to topple Cottrell this year in the time trial.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back