Universal Love 2024 - The Year of the Navy Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Okay. It's time

After nearly 30 years of medicocrity and some false starts the Famous Old Navy Blues are READY to take the FLAG. FINALLY!!!

Why?

Culture - Never seen it as good
Standards - Never been better
List - In it's prime, has depth and competition for spots
A great spread of experience and youth
Our young talent is very very good

Last year we lost in the Prelim to the Lions by less than 3 goals on their home ground

How will be go to the next level

Better connection and an imbedded game plan
Trust amongst the playing group when under pressure
We have never been fitter
Improvement in so many players. Nearly every player on our list can get better. Some will really step up like Hollands & TDK
Not reliant on a few players anymore
Added some real class to the list
A sound and stable defence with lots of run
A deep, tough, hard running and adaptable midfield
A forward line with many goalkicking options
Only form players will play

Over the next week and beyond we will start to see full on practice games amongst the group. The focus is on contested ball then run and spread. So far this pre season we haven't held back. Rule is EVERYONE needs to contribute

I have NEVER seen a group more focussed and driven.

Bring it on and enjoy the ride to No.17

Go Blues

Okay. It's time

After nearly 30 years of medicocrity and some false starts the Famous Old Navy Blues are READY to take the FLAG. FINALLY!!!

Why?

Culture - Never seen it as good
Standards - Never been better
List - In it's prime, has depth and competition for spots
A great spread of experience and youth
Our young talent is very very good

Last year we lost in the Prelim to the Lions by less than 3 goals on their home ground

How will be go to the next level

Better connection and an imbedded game plan
Trust amongst the playing group when under pressure
We have never been fitter
Improvement in so many players. Nearly every player on our list can get better. Some will really step up like Hollands & TDK
Not reliant on a few players anymore
Added some real class to the list
A sound and stable defence with lots of run
A deep, tough, hard running and adaptable midfield
A forward line with many goalkicking options
Only form players will play

Over the next week and beyond we will start to see full on practice games amongst the group. The focus is on contested ball then run and spread. So far this pre season we haven't held back. Rule is EVERYONE needs to contribute

I have NEVER seen a group more focussed and driven.

Bring it on and enjoy the ride to No.17

Go Blues
And that’s just got me keen as mustard for this season ahead soap💪!! lol

The most impressive thing from 2023, was that for a first final for most nearly all of the group, we managed to
a. get through to the prelim
b. perform admirably in the prelim

Thats not a group that was overawed by the occasion. Thats a group that now has self belief. That says to me that we will perform at the highest level in the '24 finals. And to me that means, with our talent, we are entirely capable of taking the Flag*.

*Weitering is a huge loss. If he doesnt come back fully fit, that could very well derail our season

It all just feels right and trending in the right direction across the board for sustained success, doesn’t it?

And the hardening experiences across the last two seasons should strengthen the resolve of the playing group.

We’ll see whether we can take that next step but this doesn’t feel like a false dawn. Bloody exciting.

I know it's a cliche, but this year we will go from being the hunters to the hunted. From my perspective that means we need to step up twice, first the next level to go 2 steps further into finals, and then dealing with extra opposition attention and motivation to beat us. That's where it's good having some coaches who've had onfield experience in this area.
I really believe anything is possible (from best to worst outcome), but as others have said, it seems that at this stage everything seems to be aligning for a real go at #17 in foreseeable future.

Train as you play or Play as you train - it doesn’t really matter

The standards and expectations have lifted hugely.

The players have bought into the higher intensity and are putting in the efforts/ mindset

I’m looking forward to our 17th cup :)

Bounce the ball already!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, let’s shut down the delusion. We’ve performed consistently for half a season. Everything still to prove. Looking forward to it.
point me to the delusion........

Perhaps we should win a few games and actually finish in the Top 4 before we start engraving the cup.

If we win Round 1 we go into Round 2 as flag favorites or at least close. Can't remember the last time we were.
one of these things is not like the other one, one of these things is not the same.....

Let’s get excited

Expectations are high & they should be high

As I was explaining to my brother yesterday, clearly Collingwood and Brisbane are the main threats and there are others…

If we’re looking at natural improvement though and room for improvement, I can’t see another club in the premiership window with as much scope for improvement as we have..

They are hungry, determined, committed. This is a non negotiable..

However we have improved our forward line (Fantasia, E Hollands, Cunners & Motlop in great fitness) , our midfield with many players coming back having one of if not their best pre seasons

And the defence (minus Weitering who prob misses 2 games max if any) has improved too with Williams back…

TDK levelling up in pre season

I think this is a team that finally believes, not that they can scrape into finals but beat great teams consistently and are aiming to be the best…

I can’t say I’m unbiased but my tip for the flag is draped in navy blue 💙🏆

Sydney and Adelaide are also threats, however the latter has questions marks over their defence..

My son that just turned 17 is so excited and it is certainly contagious.

He is making lists of our best 22, monitoring training reports and telling me any news coming out of
Princes Park with a gleam in his eye. (except JSOS news that shattered us both)

The talk at home is constantly about where we will improve, who is going to play small forward,
where will Doc play , the fact no team ever has had three consecutive Coleman medalists. How good Wilson, Ellijah and Moir look ETC ETC.

He tells me our main goal is to avoid going interstate for a prelim by finishing top 4.
He feels we will finish between one and three. :)

I have never seen him so pumped about our team and it is brilliant.

2024.......... THE YEAR OF THE BLUES alright !!!!!

Cant wait.

Invariably, and all other things equal (which they're inevitably not) you reach optimum output in the 50 - 100 games' experience range.... closer to 100 than 50 games imo (as the norm anyway).

The 'top' 25, by games played (so not best 25) all have 50+ games up now.

That alone all but ensures a more consistent output individually & collectively and presumably, as a consequence, better results (and much fewer shockers).

Enjoy.

1706664805071.png

My son that just turned 17 is so excited and it is certainly contagious.

He is making lists of our best 22, monitoring training reports and telling me any news coming out of
Princes Park with a gleam in his eye. (except JSOS news that shattered us both)

The talk at home is constantly about where we will improve, who is going to play small forward,
where will Doc play , the fact no team ever has had three consecutive Coleman medalists. How good Wilson, Ellijah and Moir look ETC ETC.

He tells me our main goal is to avoid going interstate for a prelim by finishing top 4.
He feels we will finish between one and three. :)

I have never seen him so pumped about our team and it is brilliant.

2024.......... THE YEAR OF THE BLUES alright !!!!!

Cant wait.
My son is a bit younger and it has been hard to keep him keen on the Blues in the years before Voss

Dad: "Just wait", "next year will be better", "we are improving"...

But now,
Son: "Let's get to as many games as we can Dad"

2024 is going to be next level - I can't wait

Bounce the ball already and bring us the 17th cup! :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back