Universal Love 2024 - The Year of the Navy Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

I think our resurgence was sometime after the crows embarrassed us over in Adelaide last year (gather round?)

Was a terrible night both the loss and I think we suffered 2-3 wins injuries as well.

I see we only play them once in r5 in Melbourne.

It all changed from 1/4 time Rd14 V Gold Coast at the G. 9 unanswered goals, it was like Vossy flicked a switch and we went into unstoppable mode. The crowd stood in disbelief and awe at half time and gave the boys a rousing standing ovation as they walked off.

it was incredible and very tangible that we just saw what we were capable of and there was a slim chance our season was still alive.........

Walsh going into the middle was the catalyst from what I remember.

For me, expectations are high as we don't have any excuses. The recent leadership change videos really emphasised the fact that most of the team of boys from those strong draft years, are now fully developed AFL players - and with the off-field improvements and reports on improvement in culture....there's really nothing we can point to if we don't succeed.

This won't result in any arrogance, as we haven't earned it yet, but we should have confidence in what this team could do in 2024.

For me, expectations are high as we don't have any excuses. The recent leadership change videos really emphasised the fact that most of the team of boys from those strong draft years, are now fully developed AFL players - and with the off-field improvements and reports on improvement in culture....there's really nothing we can point to if we don't succeed.

This won't result in any arrogance, as we haven't earned it yet, but we should have confidence in what this team could do in 2024.
I used the same expression the other day. I think the club has confidence, without arrogance. Its a good mindset for the season.

Expectations are high for our blues

No doubt the usual bunch will all be up there again this season… Dee’s cats filth lions swans port gws

Any smokies??
Adelaide (should have been there last year) and possibly Western Bulldogs for me with the Swans and the Saints dropping out of the 8.

Carlton and GWS to be top 4 with Melbourne and Port dropping into the lower half of the eight.

Adelaide (should have been there last year) and possibly Western Bulldogs for me with the Swans and the Saints dropping out of the 8.

Carlton and GWS to be top 4 with Melbourne and Port dropping into the lower half of the eight.
I largely agree with your opinions, but in fairness, it is the intangibles that count most.

I believe this thread is appropriate because of the talent we have, the maturity which has caught up, improved fitness and player ability, established “game plan” and notably internal competition for positions ensuring that only a handful of players have any chance of complacency through the season.

As for other clubs, I look back and honestly see the recent Richmond “era” as unheralded due to “role players” embracing an all in approach. Similarly Collingwood with a mix of veterans, a couple of young gens and a number of under rated role players have exceeded their projection of a couple of years ago.

A proactive coaching group (more than simply a head coach) can elevate a promising team beyond current expectation.

GWS clearly now have a new commitment. Adelaide is “coming” but have questions. Gold Coast have the mix to make a significant rise, a good test for “Dimma”. The Dogs seem to have underperformed for a couple of years now, a couple of players are on the up, but plenty of questions on the group, and the coach. Can’t write off Melbourne or Collingwood, and Sydney have some great pieces and some promising kids.

Brisbane, logically remain the biggest threat. Zorko and a couple of “vets” keep fronting up, a fit Doedee will lift their defence dramatically and their father/sons are jets. “Fragile” types like Daniher and Hipwood were much more consistent in ‘23 and they have identified their weaknesses and are working to rectify them.

I remain blown away now our list has matured, long term injured types are seemingly all now available and after adding Acres for “nothing” we have done similar with Elijah.

We have much of our “next generation” already playing or pushing for spots while most of our established players are in their prime. Outside of our key pillars, we have readymade replacements in every role who lose little by comparison with the incumbent regulars.

Our biggest issue is getting the balance right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back