Time for action - 9 home games at the MCG per year

Remove this Banner Ad

Peacock

Club Legend
Apr 2, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Hey guys!

How can we make our voices heard and demand 9 home games per season at the MCG like other clubs get? If we aren't going to demand it on the back of two 90k+ finals and 100k+ members next season then when?

It's up to the club to work for the members, and this is what we want. I'm sure Sayers and Cook love the corporate facilities at Docklands, but this is not what us supporters want.

How do we make this happen? Create some type of online petition like at change.org and get all the Carlton podcasters/youtubers to promote it??? Ideally we want one of them to lead and champion it. If we could get 20k+ people signing it the club would have to take notice. This doesn't even have to be limited to members, this is a supporter issue.

Is there a better way to do it? Asking a random question at the AGM isn't going to cut it. One thing for sure is we are never going to get away from Docklands unless we collectively demand it.

Unless I've misread the mood of the entire supporter base this is what we want right?

I’m not sure the roadblock to more games at the G is the club, rather the AFL.

I think Cook has said the club would like to see the split of home games favour the MCG.

I do think that it would be great to get a members/supporters read on the preferred mix of games and I would sign a petition to increase the number of home games at the MCG.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

My main gripe with the marvel/mcg split is that we tend to play ‘home’ games against predominantly Marvel teams at Marvel and vice versa with the MCG.

For instance this season we played Melbourne and StKilda twice. Our home game against Melbourne was at the G and our home game against St Kilda was Marvel. Surely those fixtures should be reversed and play the Saints at the G and demons at Marvel to at least give some sort of home ground advantage

Marvel is fine. We are always going to have to play teams that don't have many Melbourne based fans - GWS, West Coast, Freo, Gold Coast, St Kilda. It doesn't make sense to play those games at the MCG.

I may be alone in this, but I also think Marvel is a lot easier to to and from. Right on top of the train station, more tram options to get back into town.

Marvel is fine. We are always going to have to play teams that don't have many Melbourne based fans - GWS, West Coast, Freo, Gold Coast, St Kilda. It doesn't make sense to play those games at the MCG.

I may be alone in this, but I also think Marvel is a lot easier to to and from. Right on top of the train station, more tram options to get back into town.
And 2 minutes from Footscray Road on Citylink. It's incredibly well connected.

On SM-S906E using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey guys!

How can we make our voices heard and demand 9 home games per season at the MCG like other clubs get? If we aren't going to demand it on the back of two 90k+ finals and 100k+ members next season then when?

It's up to the club to work for the members, and this is what we want. I'm sure Sayers and Cook love the corporate facilities at Docklands, but this is not what us supporters want.

How do we make this happen? Create some type of online petition like at change.org and get all the Carlton podcasters/youtubers to promote it??? Ideally we want one of them to lead and champion it. If we could get 20k+ people signing it the club would have to take notice. This doesn't even have to be limited to members, this is a supporter issue.

Is there a better way to do it? Asking a random question at the AGM isn't going to cut it. One thing for sure is we are never going to get away from Docklands unless we collectively demand it.

Unless I've misread the mood of the entire supporter base this is what we want right?

FYI, 6 home games at Marvel & 5 at the MCG expires October 2024.
Believe we’re already requesting a higher split towards the ‘G from 2025 but preferred is to have it the other way around for only 6 / 5 in favour of the MCG c/- B.Cook (CEO).

And the redeveloped southern stand should increase the MCG capacity at a minimum to 110,000, with a thousand or more new standing capacity.

And the redeveloped southern stand should increase the MCG capacity at a minimum to 110,000, with a thousand or more new standing capacity.

That’s probably a while off yet though, re new Warney stand.

Original premise of the thread though, is the AFL love having Essendon and us at marvel, we will be given a very sweet deal to keep playing at least 5 games there.

I’d like us to at least get to 7 at the G.

Marvel is much easier for me coming from the west, so having the split is good. Don't mind having to go to the MCG every now and then, but if it was all the time I would not go to as many games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back