Josh Dunkley should be our captain

Remove this Banner Ad

golions

Team Captain
Jul 10, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I know it's Dunkley's first year at the Club but it's feel like he's our most important leader out on the field since we had Luke Hodge.

Obviously wasn't there last night but even in previous frustrating losses he has been out there trying his guts out when others become invisible.

Because he is new, it feels like he is an important link between the older players and the youngsters - to ensure there is no rift (eg when Charlie gave Fletcher the glare after Fletcher kicked that ripper and subsequently Charlie proceeded to ignore a wide open Fletcher later in the game)

Hopefully he will work his way into being an important 2 way link between the players and Fages because I feel that has been missing to a degree since Hodgey finished up with us.

I don't necessarily agree but I see where you are coming from. We seem to lack leadership out on the ground when things get a bit tough. Neale is more of a "lead by example" kind of guy, so if he is being tagged out of the game it's very hard to lead in that way.

I feel like Harris tries to lead in a directional sense. But I sometimes think he is perhaps a bit too preoccupied with his own little patch, and cracks the sh!ts a bit if his man gets the ball and he feels like he didn't get enough support from up field.

It's very different to the style Hodge had when he was at the club - he seemed so much better at identifying issues before they happened, not after, as Harris often seems to.

The Broncos named Adam Reynolds as captain in his first season, which I wasn't a huge fan of, for similar reasons. But also I could see that there was a bit of a dearth of leadership options there, with Carrigan probably a bit too young for the gig at the time.

I could certainly see Dunks becoming a vice captain next year, but don't think they would change the actual captaincy roles after just 1 season.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back