Player Watch Josh Thomas (Retired 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Thomas has had a cracking year. That forward combo with Stevo, WHE and JDG has been really hard to contain. All capable of kicking a bag. It's a big factor in our resurgence this year. A credit to the club for sticking by him and now reaping some rewards for it. Also handy as a midfield rotation.
Absolutely agree Quicky.
Let’s hope he puts in a good game tomorrow to celebrate

Thomas has had a cracking year. That forward combo with Stevo, WHE and JDG has been really hard to contain. All capable of kicking a bag. It's a big factor in our resurgence this year. A credit to the club for sticking by him and now reaping some rewards for it. Also handy as a midfield rotation.

Yes, Thomas has been a great factor in the successes we've had this year. He has made a wonderful contribution in 2018; this is undeniable.

Thank you for highlighting the importance of this Quicky. I'd quote your statement 100 times so we could bury toxic negativity with a few pages of praise.

Your right about the laws.
But we can, and do, live by the laws of the day.
And the laws of the day say the performance enhancing drugs are illegal for sportsmen/women at a professional level.
That may change one day. Seriously doubt it though as under this law, unlike the racist laws you cite, these laws do not discriminate against Color, creed, religion, race or sex.
Not sure about Nazi Germany, there is German blood in my ancestry so you may have a point, but what you are saying about big brother is simply ignorant.
Every society, even “free” ones like ours, have a set of laws that we all must follow under risk of punishment if we transgress.
To not follow the law of the land creates nothing but chaos.
And as an aside, he wasn’t done for “recreational “ drugs. Was he?
As much as I would love to continue this discussion with you mate my previous post to you caused me all sorts of angst with the mods, so I'm out.
You'll have to play with someone else.

As much as I would love to continue this discussion with you mate my previous post to you caused me all sorts of angst with the mods, so I'm out.
You'll have to play with someone else.

Please don't quote him Otto... It just brings negativity about Thomas to the fore for others to respond to. Let's focus on Thomas's ability to kick goals for the Collingwood football club. :)

Not enough reporting going on here.

I’m bored.

The new interface allows people to report their own posts. Is that overestimating or underestimating people's ability to self-moderate?

The new interface allows people to report their own posts. Is that overestimating or underestimating people's ability to self-moderate?
The old interface allowed us to do it too.

Sometimes I like sending messages to the mods. They don’t seem to like responding to them though :(

The druggie reference is more to do with the ability of the employer, any employer, being able to insert that clause into the employee contract.
It’s a clause I hope CFC have in his contract.
To insert a Cheat clause is problematical.
Though I do believe that the two were systematically using performance enhancers and when caught used the illicit untraceable pill as an excuse.
I used the druggie reference as I believe I need to dumb it down for the readership.
Seems to me you have a determination to paint Thomas in as bad a light as possible. Where it suits you you will say there is no evidence other than the testimony you believe was fabricated that they used illicit drugs to dismiss the possibility of that option

Next you want the option to use the term druggie re Thomas and have a special illicit drug clause in his contract even though you don't believe the illicit drug story and have no other evidence Thomas has ever taken illicit drugs. I don't at all understand how the term druggie helps to dumb things down for the rest of us, the readership, or why you would think your intellectual prowess is so far ahead of the rest of us that that is required.

You talk of him requiring a PED cheating clause and a druggie clause in his contract when both those factors are already covered by the drugs policy the players sign on for when they sign each contract. The drug sanctions are applied in an escalating fashion already.

Lastly, despite wanting the rest of us to stick with the facts as known, you have here upgraded Thomas to "systematically using performance enhancers". There is no evidence of either multiple drug use or systemic PED use. If you want to dismiss the speculation around the possibility they used illicit drugs because of a lack of evidence then surely upgrading the "cheat" charge to systemic use of multiple PEDs with no evidence at all to confirm that is also out.

AFL rules?
No, incorrect.
ASADA, and by implication, WADA rules.
Rules made to try and make a level playing field for everyone all over the world. Especially those who don’t go the performance enhancing route.
I’ve always said that the players can make a career elsewhere. Still prefer life bans for the offence, but as that’s not how the rules stand right now then they can play elsewhere.
You only replied to part of my post, why?

Really only splitting hairs about whose rules. You really didn’t need to repeat yourself on this and what you have always said, I knew that already.

Interesting story but if anything it made me understand Black_White view more. I also gotta say I love Josh Thomas and believe he was 'druggie' not a cheat

Warne on the other hand I would have as an almost certain cheat not once but twice so consider him a real low life and a disgrace. Unlike Thomas Warne had a clear and obvious reason to be taking the diuretic he was caught with as he raced against time to recover from a shoulder injury before the world cup. That he recovered quickly adds to the evidence. He had already he had previously shown he was ready to sell out his country to the bookies. His evidence and his mothers was described by CA as "vague and inconsistent" but despite that they let him off with a light ban, 12 months not 2 years he should have got. WADA was rightly pissed off but unable to intervene. Australia showed we were just as ready to play the drugs games with our own athletes as all the other countries we criticise. Fortunately they didn't do that with Smith et al recently but it seems out test team is still the home of cheats.

You may have missed my main point: I think Warne and Thomas did the time after the crime. Couldn’t stand Warne beforehand and was greatly disappointed in Thomas at the time of the disclosure of drug taking.

The fact they (and Keefe) worked through it and come out on the other side is not something special but it is to be recognised as an example of human spirit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may have missed my main point: I think Warne and Thomas did the time after the crime. Couldn’t stand Warne beforehand and was greatly disappointed in Thomas at the time of the disclosure of drug taking.

The fact they (and Keefe) worked through it and come out on the other side is not something special but it is to be recognised as an example of human spirit.

No I understood that . It's just I felt the system worked to protect Warne, he didn't get the punishment he should have either time he cheated. Cheating on multiple occasions means he doesn't get redemption for mine

No I understood that . It's just I felt the system worked to protect Warne, he didn't get the punishment he should have either time he cheated. Cheating on multiple occasions means he doesn't get redemption for mine

I can guess your views on the Shane Warne foundation. It is an interesting concept as to whether all of the money that Lance Armstrong received for cheating and then given to charity should be returned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The druggie reference is more to do with the ability of the employer, any employer, being able to insert that clause into the employee contract.
It’s a clause I hope CFC have in his contract.
To insert a Cheat clause is problematical.
Though I do believe that the two were systematically using performance enhancers and when caught used the illicit untraceable pill as an excuse.
I used the druggie reference as I believe I need to dumb it down for the readership.
The only person you need to dumb things down for in here is you. Go outside.

Your understanding is based solely on the defence put up by the players.
Unfortunately there is no evidence from any other source that this is the truth.
Any lawyer would surely advise the “I took the lesser evil without knowing of the higher evil”.
If there were other people who came forward with evidence that the supposed pills were laced, then there would be evidence. Simply there is not.
You are correct about the Essendon players to a degree. I still remember the Jobe interview when he admitted to taking the banned substance. He didn’t know it was a banned substance and withdraw his comments when told it was.
They were convicted of the performance enhancer, and to my knowledge (happy to be corrected) copped the full available sanction. No discount.

In the end the bomber players missed 12 months of footy for performance enhancers while our boys copped 2 years.

But you seem to be 100% certain that Thomas and Keeffe didn’t take recreational drugs laced with the banned substances. How can you be 100% certain? You can have a group of people taking recreational drugs and they may not be made the same way.

Other athletes have used the same defence.

Now I don’t 100% know whether they knowingly took performance enhancers. Obviously it doesn’t matter how it enters your system when it comes to handing out a ban, however, for their own ‘integrity’ it obviously does. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt unless we definitely know otherwise. I also think the Pies accepted their story and it was the only reason why they kept them on the rookie list for 2 years.

In the end, we all look at it differently. I r spect your views as I understand where you are coming from. I’m in the camp that these guys didn’t knowingly go out and cheat. So I’m more foregiving.

It’s like death row. You need to be 100% right in the conviction and we have seen examples of those on death row being exonerated as other evidence has come to light.

My final post on the matter. Best to all move on.

Some of the stuff that's been posted about Thomas by a certain poster could potentially be libellous, though I don't know much about those laws.
Oh the irony of that.

I'm amazed at this guy. Absolute gun player.

Some of the stuff that's been posted about Thomas by a certain poster could potentially be libellous, though I don't know much about those laws.
Oh the irony of that.
You’re right.
You don’t know much about the law.
My statements are based on facts.
Admissions of illicit drug taking and conviction for performance enhancing drug taking.
You on the other hand, have made plenty of libellous allegations and comments.
Lucky I’m not an American.

I’ve never taken performance enhancing drugs with the view to cheating my fellow contestants in a sporting contest.
This is the core issue. The attempt, and you haven’t been the only one, to try and widen the discussion by turning it to my life is doomed to failure.
The self deprecating statement that you have made mistakes is also irrelevant, but a great attempt at sympathy for your view.
For the record, in 39 years of driving I’ve had three speeding fines.
I had notification from my hire car company of two offences in England last year. One making a left hand turn where I wasn’t allowed. (Never saw the sign) And one for being in a bus lane. (Photo shows the Jag half in half out as I realised I was in the wrong).
Neither offence was forwarded to me and I’ve stil got a clean driving record in the UK.
Never been charged, interviewed, suspected, fingerprinted, accused of any crime. Simply because I’ve never felt the need to wander from the law or my morals.

All that tells me is that you drive a Jag in the UK?

Came into the thread expecting some discussion about Thomas and his fantastic efforts yesterday, 24 possessions and a goal, clean hands, poise in traffic. Sadly the thread continues to get hijacked by a troll with a bone long gnawed to death. Time to move on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back