Opinion Kardinia Park Statue

Remove this Banner Ad

Catter

Team Captain
Apr 25, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Whilst possibly the last (for a while) redevelopments are coming to the end. Which player/coach should be immortalized with a bronze statue in their honor?
Whitten Oval: Teddy
Olympic Park: Lou
MCG: Barrasi, Bunton, Bartlett, Reynolds, Mathews, Coleman, Smith, Stynes
Waverly: Kennedy

If it has to be only one player, it has to be a player that has stood the test of time... So I nominate Polly.
Playing career: 1953-1971 (East Perth 1953-1961, Geelong 1962-1967, West Perth 1968-1971). Games: 356 (East Perth 176, Geel 101, West Perth 79) Goals: (East Perth NA, Geel 65, West Perth 55).

Player honours: Sandover Medal 1956, 1957, 1960; 2nd in Brownlow Medal 1963 (equal); Geel best and fairest 1963, 1964; Geel premiership 1963; EP best and fairest 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1959, 1960, 1961; EP premierships 1956, 1958, 1959; WP best and fairest 1969; WP premierships 1969, 1971 (captain-coach); All-Australian 1956, 1958, 1961.

Coaching record: Geelong 1973-1975 (66 games, 24 wins, 42 losses).
AFL LEGEND: 2002
Farmer definitely can stand with the players/coaches mentioned above.

Last edited:
Whilst possibly the last (for a while) redevelopments are coming to the end. Which player/coach should be immortalized with a bronze statue in their honor?
Whitten Oval: Teddy
Olympic Park: Lou
MCG: Barrasi, Bunton, Bartlett, Reynolds, Mathews, Coleman, Smith, Stynes
Waverly: Kennedy

If it has to be only one player, it has to be a player that has stood the test of time... So I nominate Polly.
Farmer definitely can stand with the players/coaches mentioned above.
We should have a statue of Polly Farmer. I would contribute.

It'd be grouse if on match days someone would bandage his head up. Only on match days though!!

9286f5c79fa2af71461f647c4a025560

Selwood 355 games, more than twice as many for Geelong than Farmer's playing and coaching career combined
Selwood 4 premierships to Farmers 1
Selwood, you see what he has done around the community outside of footy over the years.

But I wouldn't hesitate to back Farmer, led us to the 63 Premiership, revolutionised the game with handball, stood by the cats in the lean times of the 70's. Established a foundation dedicated to helping indigenous children in football and academia. And all this at a time when as indigenous player he stood up to a society that was racist to its core. Now we rightly get upset when once in a while some moron yells something out from the crowd. He had to face it on a weekly basis from opposition players in the middle of the field. I'm proud to think of Geelong having the first indigenous captain and the first indigenous coach. A statute would get kids asking who he is and keep his inspirational story alive.

Selwood's time will come though.

IMO

Cook, Costa and Wells get Rooms named after them. They have earned more but to their style... would not want a stand.

Polly, Ablett's, Selwood and prob Tomma when hes done gets something more prominent

Ive mentioned this before but naming levels of the stand after players et al might be a way of accommodating a ew more.

Selwood Tier 1

Ablett Tier 2

Farmer Tier 3 etc.

GO Catters

IMO

Cook, Costa and Wells get Rooms named after them. They have earned more but to their style... would not want a stand.

Polly, Ablett's, Selwood and prob Tomma when hes done gets something more prominent

Ive mentioned this before but naming levels of the stand after players et al might be a way of accommodating a ew more.

Selwood Tier 1

Ablett Tier 2

Farmer Tier 3 etc.

GO Catters
Good suggestion. Acknowledge more with the same amount of infrastructure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doug Wade because he's 80 and I don't think the guy is even 'legend' status in the Hall of Fame.. seems ridiculous. Deserves something.

Bob Pratt got legend status with 1 less Coleman when he was 84 so it's time even though Pratt won his 3 in a row

Re Chris Scott

I allways gave him great credit for 2011 - and any sensible person would because Geel got demolished in the 2010 PF - and then lost its best player in Ablett

I have been critical last couple of years - frustrated that the Cats just kept coming up short

However hes now got the 2nd flag - and hes got the best win/loss record ever - better than Coleman and Dick Reynolds and all the rest of them

If he gets a 3rd Premiership - then i think he should get a grandstand named after him - thats just my view - i mean Sir Alex he never played for Manchester United - but he is their no 1 person in their history

Bomber Thompson holding up the cup with Chris Scott holding up the other end.

Selwood holds so many club and AFL records some of which are unlikely to be broken any time soon - he deserves a stand named after him and/or a statue. We talk about the Abletts being once in a generation. Selwood as a package was once in a generation, IMO.

Doug Wade because he's 80 and I don't think the guy is even 'legend' status in the Hall of Fame.. seems ridiculous. Deserves something.

Bob Pratt got legend status with 1 less Coleman when he was 84 so it's time even though Pratt won his 3 in a row

But like GAJ Wade abandoned Geelong in 73 for the loot at North. Recognise him as a club champion, but no statue

Need a mount rushmore type set-up I reckon...
Maybe a Cats theme park with a fake Mt Rushmore featuring the faces of Selwood, Polly Farmer, GAS, Reg Hickey and Scarlett

Remove this Banner Ad

Back