When did Kardinia Park’s dimensions become a thing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Staggering that we can't just all accept that it's a #cheatground, really.

After all, the AFL manipulates the 'fixture' every year now to ensure that we only get 8 or 9 free wins at our #cheatground in any given season. It's their special way of 'evening the score' for all those teams like the Tigs, who'll have to battle on again this year against the disadvantage of their paltry 14 H&A games on their home ground.

#youknowitmakessense

Plus Freo have rolled us at Kardinia a few times - not just the 2013 final, but 2015 and earlier this year. Plus, they could have easily won in either 2017 or 2019 (not sure exact seasons, but Mundy kick on the siren and Walters with about 2 seconds to go).
Interesting to see that subi was a similar shape to KP.
When the eagles were any good, they could give us a run for our money at home too

Interesting to see that subi was a similar shape to KP.
When the eagles were any good, they could give us a run for our money at home too
Subi was cut from the same cloth as KP and VFL park. Longer and skinner than the G because they were designed to be footy ovals first and not cricket ovals (even though VFL park had the same width as the G, it was 40m longer so the same shape as KP and Subi). Football park was a little wider but still 30m longer than its width.

The only reason Marvel isnt any longer is because they ran out of room and money.

This myth that the Gs dimensions is perfect for footy is born from the bias of it being the GF venue. If VFL park had survived, maybe the MCG would be called a cheat ground for being so short?

Subi was cut from the same cloth as KP and VFL park. Longer and skinner than the G because they were designed to be footy ovals first and not cricket ovals (even though VFL park had the same width as the G, it was 40m longer so the same shape as KP and Subi). Football park was a little wider but still 30m longer than its width.

The only reason Marvel isnt any longer is because they ran out of room and money.

This myth that the Gs dimensions is perfect for footy is born from the bias of it being the GF venue. If VFL park had survived, maybe the MCG would be called a cheat ground for being so short?
That is excellent context. :thumbsu:

Nice discussion here from everyone!
Lots of excellent points raised.
I do love that all grounds should be unique and not a ‘standard’ it adds different variables to the game as a player and also as a viewer.
I’m on board for more individual boutique stadiums in Melbourne. I’ve been to Giants stadium and that’s great fun, plus you can get Kebabs and Gozleme!

All the complaints I've heard are from Melbourne and Richmond fans, who've only won 3 out of 20+ matches at the ground in the last 20 years. They know that when they get back from a match at KP, they are usually miserable. So rather than blame there own own miserable teams for how they feel, they blame the ground.
Would be interested in hearing from Swans fans, whose recent record at KP is very good.
Not only that but Sydney in my experience are the absolute best at attending their KP games of all sides by miles. So they also expose the whole 'opposition fans can't get in' rubbish. Be prepared to book at onsale time and or get there very early on the day and non Geelong members can easily attend KP games.

All talk of home ground aside, i am a massive subscriber to the anytime, anywhere theory... if you are good enough the ground size/shape shouldn't matter at all IMO

It is just a cheap excuse cop out to blame a loss on that

I can't recall the "cheating dimensions" before the 2017 H&A against Richmond.
The hissy fit those flogs had because they weren't allowed their divine right to attend away games was a sight to behold. Also a convenient fact they forget when bringing up our displeasure at how our "home final" was handled.

I can't recall the "cheating dimensions" before the 2017 H&A against Richmond.
The hissy fit those flogs had because they weren't allowed their divine right to attend away games was a sight to behold. Also a convenient fact they forget when bringing up our displeasure at how our "home final" was handled.

And as I stated above anyone who really wanted to attend could easily have been there. Just organise yourself to be ready to book at onsale time. LIKE WE HAVE TO DO OURSELVES (unless you've bought a seat for the season of course). Is not and has never been that hard.

It's a thing because we're mammals and mammals are hyper-sensitive to any possible perception of unfairness.

Evidence:

This is basically what's going on in the brains of fans that hate Geelong. They see a ground with different dimensions, and it's different, so it's not fair, so Geelong are cheating. The logic that causes Richmond fans to hate Geelong because of our 'cheat ground' is precisely the same logic that SHOULD apply to them being able to play their 'away' games at their home ground. The cognitive dissonance required in ignoring this fact is quite frankly astonishing.

It wouldn't. Not to say the result might not be different the next time we play in Melbourne, but the same could be said if we play again at Kardinia Park.
It’s funny because it didn’t seem to be an issue for Melbourne knocking us over at KP last year, but all of a sudden it is this year?? Go figure. It just seems half the time a convenient excuse to dismiss all good performances and effort by geelong and to bring us down a peg in the eyes of the footy world.

We are and let’s be honest here.. probably neck to neck or even ahead in terms of most hated club in the AFL and taken the Baton from collingwood if not even with them.

If you venture into forums or other sides non oppo game day threads, nobody wants to see a side lose more than other club fans want to see geelong lose… it’s a testament to our sustained success just how much oppo fans cannot stand geelong, they want to see us fall and fall hard, but we ain’t… and it’s driving them mad. We have given equity the biggest middle finger we can and in style sitting first on the ladder right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s funny because it didn’t seem to be an issue for Melbourne knocking us over at KP last year, but all of a sudden it is this year?? Go figure. It just seems half the time a convenient excuse to dismiss all good performances and effort by geelong and to bring us down a peg in the eyes of the footy world.

We are and let’s be honest here.. probably neck to neck or even ahead in terms of most hated club in the AFL and taken the Baton from collingwood if not even with them.

If you venture into forums or other sides non oppo game day threads, nobody wants to see a side lose more than other club fans want to see geelong lose… it’s a testament to our sustained success just how much oppo fans cannot stand geelong, they want to see us fall and fall hard, but we ain’t… and it’s driving them mad. We have given equity the biggest middle finger we can and in style sitting first on the ladder right now.
I can relate. Back when I watched a lot of MLB(long ago) I've never liked the Yankees until they went through a mediocre patch. Then I rooted for them because they had some GFC types playing, hard, honest ball players. They got good again and I detest them still.
In NFL, used to like the Cowboys, same reasons, I liked they sort of players they had, Staubach, Lilly. Then they became America's Team. :sick: Patriots began to grate, but they haven't proved to be anything past Brady and Belicheck.

I can understand those supporters whose clubs have been up and down. Must be hard to see GFC up for so long. But they can still eff off.

Wins since 2007: as at July 10

Geelong - 255
Hawthorn - 207
Sydney - 203
Collingwood - 201
West Coast - 182
Bulldogs - 175
Fremantle - 174
Adelaide - 174
Richmond - 172
Port - 170
St Kilda - 163
Geelong Away from Home - 161
North - 153
Essendon - 149
Brisbane - 143
Carlton - 132

If we had played exclusively away from home. So 13/14/15 games a season, over the last 16 seasons, our record would be comparable with Port and St Kilda who have spent a good portion of that period entrenched in the top four, and well ahead of Brisbane who have been part of that group for nearly half a decade, and not too far behind a triple premiership team during that period.

Purely playing away from home.

A team that good at playing AWAY could play all their home games on a f***ing golf course and still have a 90 per cent home win rate.

The dimensions are a myth.

A team that good at playing AWAY could play all their home games on a f***ing golf course and still have a 90 per cent home win rate.

Good idea. Maybe we could introduce bunkers and water hazards to KP just to level the playing field a bit for those disadvantaged sides like Richmond.

Wins since 2007: as at July 10

Geelong - 255
Hawthorn - 207
Sydney - 203
Collingwood - 201
West Coast - 182
Bulldogs - 175
Fremantle - 174
Adelaide - 174
Richmond - 172
Port - 170
St Kilda - 163
Geelong Away from Home - 161
North - 153
Essendon - 149
Brisbane - 143
Carlton - 132

If we had played exclusively away from home. So 13/14/15 games a season, over the last 16 seasons, our record would be comparable with Port and St Kilda who have spent a good portion of that period entrenched in the top four, and well ahead of Brisbane who have been part of that group for nearly half a decade, and not too far behind a triple premiership team during that period.

Purely playing away from home.

Says it all, really.

#cheatground, thy name is jealousy.

Maybe we need to change the environment up in the stands a bit to make them feel right at home??

Maybe position speakers randomly around the ground to play audio clips of drunk Richmond fans abusing oppo players and supporters.

Throw all around manikins with teeth missing in Richmond scarfs holding beers

Have all the manikins go wild in an angry frenzy with audio every time selwood gets a free kick ( a string pulley puppet like system will do). Need to have the manikins practice motor control of stabilizing their beers during this frenzy to the highest coordinated level for accurate replication.

Will that do the job of equalizing?

Says it all, really.

#cheatground, thy name is jealousy.

It’s a win rate of roughly 66 per cent.

If you extrapolate that out to 22 games per year, our win total would likely be around 220-230.

As such, if we played exclusively away from home over the last 16 seasons, we would still have won more games than any other side, who plays games equally home and away (in unequally in some cases).

There is no measure by which anyone can possibly say that it is our ground which gets us to the higher end of the ladder each year.

Do we have a problem winning finals? Absolutely we do. No argument at all there.

Given the data set however there are 0 coherent arguments you could make to suggest we lose them because of the dimensions of the ground at which they are played

I always wondered if it might actually be the other way around. The ground helps us win away games also.

As we train and play on a narrow ground, this helps us develop a more direct game style, so when we play away, we don’t get lost playing out on the boundary of the wings.

Don’t tell the other teams as they might start training on narrow grounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And as I stated above anyone who really wanted to attend could easily have been there. Just organise yourself to be ready to book at onsale time. LIKE WE HAVE TO DO OURSELVES (unless you've bought a seat for the season of course). Is not and has never been that hard.
Bottom line is Richmond are afraid of playing at KP. Where were their 100k fans on Saturday at Marvel - the whole third tier was literally empty?!

If they won't even travel 5km over to docklands to watch their team, it seems pretty clear that they shouldn't be afforded any benefits by having the Cats play home games at the G.

Who gives a stuff if they can't get in.

And for those Cats fans who throw about the 'we need to play there for finals' line, we can play half a dozen away games at the G and the return home game at KP. When the new stand is finished the atmosphere will be absolutely electric on Saturday nights if we can host Tigers/Pies/Bombers/Hawks etc in Geelong.

Bottom line is Richmond are afraid of playing at KP. Where were their 100k fans on Saturday at Marvel - the whole third tier was literally empty?!

If they won't even travel 5km over to docklands to watch their team, it seems pretty clear that they shouldn't be afforded any benefits by having the Cats play home games at the G.

Who gives a stuff if they can't get in.

And for those Cats fans who throw about the 'we need to play there for finals' line, we can play half a dozen away games at the G and the return home game at KP. When the new stand is finished the atmosphere will be absolutely electric on Saturday nights if we can host Tigers/Pies/Bombers/Hawks etc in Geelong.
* them..

make them drive down the highway for a 725pm Friday night KP game. Dont give them the luxury of Say night games. SO many of our games have been Friday night MCG "blockbusters". Let hem come to us in traffic, trains, rain and roadworks.

Let them see how it feels.

campaigners wont turn up.

And thats the point.
GO Catters

* them..

make them drive down the highway for a 725pm Friday night KP game. Dont give them the luxury of Say night games. SO many of our games have been Friday night MCG "blockbusters". Let hem come to us in traffic, trains, rain and roadworks.

Let them see how it feels.

campaigners wont turn up.

And thats the point.
GO Catters
Absolutely. For me to get down to KP for a Friday night game from just next to Whitten Oval it means get everything ready before work, leave work early and rush the family into the car, navigate the nightmare that is peak hour traffic on the Westgate (seriously how those of you who do that every night don't go postal I'll never know), drop the wife/kid/car at family in Belmont and then leg it into the social club to try and get a beer before the bounce.

The membership-microwaving nuffies would melt like nothing else if they had to deal with that.

Was plans for VFL park to go over 100,000 people, i remember playing little league at VFL park standing at full forward ball at the other end but could not see what was going on, it was that far lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back