Opinion Have We Become THOSE Supporters?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm surprised by the discussion my thread generated. I hope you all realize what I said was all tongue-in-cheek. A bit of fun.
We should all partake in a bit of self-reflection every now and then ;)

Over a long period, Cat's supporters have been known mostly as very gracious winners. We always kept the lid on. We had reviled at what appeared to be the arrogance of some supporters about their team. Hawthorn, Richmond, and Pies supporters have been very distasteful to us, and some of us vowed never to be like them.

But do other supporters now see us like that?

Do they think we're the arrogant ones basking in the glory of our success?

I was amazed at the negativity we received during the trading period, all because the Catters dared to manage their list well and create a culture other players wanted to be part of. Oh, the humanity! How dare we do well. But going by the negative comments directed not only at the club but also at us Cat's supporters by opposition fans, I think they now see us as we once saw them.

How the wheel turns.

Am I worried, you may ask? Does it keep me up at night?

Season 6 No GIF by Friends

I love it.

It's about time we Cats supporters enjoyed the success of our club and, of course, rubbed it in the faces of the riff-raff.

Yours

Blakey
People are just really sick of us-we never go away, we have an excellent winning record against most of them and have just won a flag again.
I think our supporter base is mostly consisting of scholars and gents. ( non gendered of course!)

Over a long period, Cat's supporters have been known mostly as very gracious winners. We always kept the lid on. We had reviled at what appeared to be the arrogance of some supporters about their team. Hawthorn, Richmond, and Pies supporters have been very distasteful to us, and some of us vowed never to be like them.

But do other supporters now see us like that?

Do they think we're the arrogant ones basking in the glory of our success?

I was amazed at the negativity we received during the trading period, all because the Catters dared to manage their list well and create a culture other players wanted to be part of. Oh, the humanity! How dare we do well. But going by the negative comments directed not only at the club but also at us Cat's supporters by opposition fans, I think they now see us as we once saw them.

How the wheel turns.

Am I worried, you may ask? Does it keep me up at night?

Season 6 No GIF by Friends

I love it.

It's about time we Cats supporters enjoyed the success of our club and, of course, rubbed it in the faces of the riff-raff.

Yours

Blakey
Probably aged related… I’m 38 so grew up with Geelong as the handbags from sleepy hollow that came within a whisker of playing all games in Melbourne and never winning a damn thing

Never get entitled as a supporter. When we have success, enjoy it. Because theres is always a drought coming up sometime in the future.

Toward the end of the great 2007-11 team, I was almost embarrassed. On more than one occasion I was asked who I support and someone would say "Oh !@#$. We got you guys on Sunday. We are going to get smashed!" I'd be all, "You never know. Your team could get up." I'd then be met with, "Oh, shutup." lol

Must say this post-Premiership glow has been luxuriant to bask in as a long-time Cats fan who started following Geelong in the mid 70's. And like others of my vintage I've been coloured by Geelong disappointments from times past. I actually youtubed the Geelong-Swans game at KP in 1988 (the game where Robert Scott hit the post with his after the siren kick), and realised that firstly as a Pie in the 80-81 PF's, and again then as a Swan in 1988 it was the father of 'Nick Davis has come to save us' who kicked the goal that put the Swans 2 goals up late in that match..bloody Craig Davis!

And yes indeed the handbagger tag was one that stuck with Geelong through the 70's and 80's and maybe even into the 90's..although it may have died a natural death with the retirement of Lou Richards from commentary. But it stuck as a term of derision towards Geelong, perhaps that we wanted to play with skill and class rather than the brute force and aggression of the traditional power clubs of that era (Carlton, Collingwood, Richmond, North and Hawthorn..then Essendon). But the 89-95 era was breathtaking, especially '89 and '92 with scoring that none of us could believe (up to 1987 Geelong's highest score was 26.18.174 in the 30's!) Here we were getting 200+ scores and winning by a mile.

But we never took home the chokkies, until 2007. Then 08's glorious season until the unmentionable, then '09 and '11. And just when perhaps Cat fans were ready to rule the roost, along came the Hawks and Tigers with 3-flag eras and our moderate finals record again became a stick with other fans could beat us over the head with. Never mind that as mentioned in other threads, you 'look' like you have a better finals record when you do a norf of '14-15 and go W-W-L en route to a PF versus a L-W-L when Geelong plays a top opponent in a QF first up.

But 2022...like a dream come true. Geelong has vindication, all of us as fans can just enjoy this off-season, and for a change we even killed it in the trading period because at least the Scott era has created a legacy of Geelong being a club that other players almost aspire to get to. The 'Destination Club'. And how delicious is that our glorious era arguably started when Joel Selwood was read out at pick 7 in 2006...and this season bar a quirky pick trade, a new player will be read out with the same selection whilst Joel retires as Geelong's football immortal.

Certainly self-satisfaction is my feeling in the afterglow of this wonderful 2022 Flag. And we've earned it as fans!

We are enjoying this....well I am... and we should respectfully.

I aint gonna lie.... Modding on here for about 10 years when even sitting on top of the ladder and having to wade thru the river swell of doubters and s**t stirrers aint easy. It takes its toll and no I dont need a hug, another job and no im not hanging it up so keep dreaming

Posters that "barrack" for the club yet look to rip it apart at every turn gets old after a while. Especially when you want to enjoy the success

So yeah... im gonna enjoy this. Not saying some of the criticisms were off base - but one would cease and another start. No respite.

So yeah, im gonna enjoy this.

As for being "those supporters" I think this is an unparalleled stretch we are in and its not over.
07-22 with perpetual relevance is fully unprecedented and its not over. 4 flags.... its a lot for oppo fans to take.
Our own stadium. Destination club.... you dont play here for money... you play here for the experience.
Thats gonna wear on oppo supporters - hell it rubbed GFC supporters the wrong way being close but not close enough.

They are gonna get "Geelong relevance fatigue" lol. Enjoy that.

So yeah, inm gonna enjoy this a lot.

Doesn't give me a license to be a prick...

but yeah... im gonna enjoy this a lot.

GO Catters

We won, we got it right. For our prize we are entitled to be smug for the next year as we are the yardstick. That's how it has always been on BigFooty, a year off from being told how s**t your team is, that your players are at best average and would never make the first 22 of any other team. That your team is too old. That your coaching staff have literally no idea. That you are a rabble of a club. (the exception being richmond supporters who think they actually won the premiership but it was stolen by geelong)

It's jealousy and nothing else.

All those pre-season narratives that have festered over the past decade got blown to smithereens this season and particularly on GF day.

Those supporters would kill to support a club as consistent as us and when you see so many clubs who are currently basket cases, it's just part of venting those frustrations. When you see a club that is the complete antithesis of yours, it just exacerbates that frustration.

Having said that, I can only imagine the vitriol that would have come out way had we not won the flag and considering how much we had copped over the past 5-6 years in particular, I think we're more than entitled to be a little smug about our club and what we've achieved. But as a rule, we're a humble supporter base.

We know it won't last, so why not enjoy the moment? If you can't enjoy it now, just when can you?

Last edited:
Must say this post-Premiership glow has been luxuriant to bask in as a long-time Cats fan who started following Geelong in the mid 70's. And like others of my vintage I've been coloured by Geelong disappointments from times past. I actually youtubed the Geelong-Swans game at KP in 1988 (the game where Robert Scott hit the post with his after the siren kick), and realised that firstly as a Pie in the 80-81 PF's, and again then as a Swan in 1988 it was the father of 'Nick Davis has come to save us' who kicked the goal that put the Swans 2 goals up late in that match..bloody Craig Davis!

And yes indeed the handbagger tag was one that stuck with Geelong through the 70's and 80's and maybe even into the 90's..although it may have died a natural death with the retirement of Lou Richards from commentary. But it stuck as a term of derision towards Geelong, perhaps that we wanted to play with skill and class rather than the brute force and aggression of the traditional power clubs of that era (Carlton, Collingwood, Richmond, North and Hawthorn..then Essendon). But the 89-95 era was breathtaking, especially '89 and '92 with scoring that none of us could believe (up to 1987 Geelong's highest score was 26.18.174 in the 30's!) Here we were getting 200+ scores and winning by a mile.

But we never took home the chokkies, until 2007. Then 08's glorious season until the unmentionable, then '09 and '11. And just when perhaps Cat fans were ready to rule the roost, along came the Hawks and Tigers with 3-flag eras and our moderate finals record again became a stick with other fans could beat us over the head with. Never mind that as mentioned in other threads, you 'look' like you have a better finals record when you do a norf of '14-15 and go W-W-L en route to a PF versus a L-W-L when Geelong plays a top opponent in a QF first up.

But 2022...like a dream come true. Geelong has vindication, all of us as fans can just enjoy this off-season, and for a change we even killed it in the trading period because at least the Scott era has created a legacy of Geelong being a club that other players almost aspire to get to. The 'Destination Club'. And how delicious is that our glorious era arguably started when Joel Selwood was read out at pick 7 in 2006...and this season bar a quirky pick trade, a new player will be read out with the same selection whilst Joel retires as Geelong's football immortal.

Certainly self-satisfaction is my feeling in the afterglow of this wonderful 2022 Flag. And we've earned it as fans!
Brilliant summary of where many of us were and are at.

read out at pick 7 in 2006...and this season bar a quirky pick trade, a new player will be read out with the same selection
There is pretty much zero chance of us having the seventh pick - Will Ashcroft will be selected at number 1 (or possibly number 2 if GWS play funny buggers), be matched by Brisbane and everyone will be shunted back a pick. Incidentally we helped Brisbane to do that, and in return we got Ollie Henry

I think there is an element of that creeping into our younger supporter base.
Those that have been on board for a longer period and experienced the bleaker years pre 2000’s will never get too smug.
This, watching 4 losing grand finals (and two smashings) by the time I was 19, then seeing the mediocrity of late 90's football, backed up by losing the 2008 flag, you have to stay humble, and accept success as fleeting, doesn't mean you can't celebrate the tish out of it until we are out of it next season! I would like us to win a back-to-back though, for payback for 2008.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is pretty much zero chance of us having the seventh pick - Will Ashcroft will be selected at number 1 (or possibly number 2 if GWS play funny buggers), be matched by Brisbane and everyone will be shunted back a pick. Incidentally we helped Brisbane to do that, and in return we got Ollie Henry
I think the fact that Tommy Hawkins would have been "the fastest number 1 pick ever announced" if he hadn't been father-son, meaning Joel would have been the 8th selection if the current rules were in place back in 2006.

So what I'm saying is that we're gonna get another Joel.

I think there is an element of that creeping into our younger supporter base.
Those that have been on board for a longer period and experienced the bleaker years pre 2000’s will never get too smug.
exacty this, I've seen them win 4 grand finals but lose 6. Until that ledger squares or goes in the positive direction then I'll never be smug about it.

I envy tigers supporters over their last era, 3 premierships from 3 grand final appearances - that would be heaven. Losing a prelim hurts but nothing wipes away the pain of losing a grand final - EVER!

I tend to think of myself as a pretty gracious poster on these forums but I must admit, it has been fun taking this opportunity to rile up the Richmond nuffies on the main board or the Pies supporters on the trading board. I'm sure it'll be out of my system by xmas though!

I did enjoy the heck out of this one:

Maybe we'll do a Richmond and miss finals altogether after a premiership.

Nobody likes doing a Richmond... I really hope we don't do a Richmond.

Do you think we'll do a Richmond? And miss finals altogether.

exacty this, I've seen them win 4 grand finals but lose 6. Until that ledger squares or goes in the positive direction then I'll never be smug about it.

I envy tigers supporters over their last era, 3 premierships from 3 grand final appearances - that would be heaven. Losing a prelim hurts but nothing wipes away the pain of losing a grand final - EVER!
Maybe winning the next three like Hawthorn did post 2012…
I would take that deal.;)

You and i have met some very different Collingwood fans.
The round 2 match was Joel's 300th IIRC and I was shocked/not shocked by the level of vitriol leveled at him during the match by Pies supporters.
Whilst they might claim they were just having fun, I wouldn't dare boo Pendlelbury or Sidebottom if they were having a milestone match, they have been great players and not dirty during their career especially Pendles and I wouldn't get anything out of them by being nasty,
It just made it so much sweeter that we came from behind to beat them in that match and I have absolutely no sympathy for having pipped them by a goal in the qualifier.
They deserve any misfortune they suffer simply because they are so ungracious and bordering on barbaric.

The round 2 match was Joel's 300th IIRC and I was shocked/not shocked by the level of vitriol leveled at him during the match by Pies supporters.
Whilst they might claim they were just having fun, I wouldn't dare boo Pendlelbury or Sidebottom if they were having a milestone match, they have been great players and not dirty during their career especially Pendles and I wouldn't get anything out of them by being nasty,
It just made it so much sweeter that we came from behind to beat them in that match and I have absolutely no sympathy for having pipped them by a goal in the qualifier.
They deserve any misfortune they suffer simply because they are so ungracious and bordering on barbaric.

This year? Round 3, and Joel's milestone was most games captained, not his 300th. The booing was related to an incident involving Selwood and someone else, I believe. A pretty heavy head high tackle that looked a bit ordinary, maybe? It wasn't "just because" booing. That sort of thing is all just part of football, really.

On the thread topic, all these generalisations are just that. There's good and there's bad in every supporter base, and everything in between.

And then there's good ol' confirmation bias. People want to believe that all supporters of X and Y are drooling nuffies, so will focus on the evidence that confirms that very thing we already believe and ignore the incidents that don't confirm it.

And of course, it's all amplified even further on BF by the nature of internet forums.

Yeah I think Sydney are a good example. In spite of Nick Davis I've never disliked them and I hope they don't feel like we were a bad supporters base after the grand final. Come to think of it, I think lots of people I've spoken to groan a bit about Geelong because of our success but it's really just Richmond supporters that speak of us as a bad supporter base.
Personally speaking, Saints supporters hate us to the core, no exceptions here from personal experiences. Even if I admit we didn't deserve the '09 flag.

No one deserves a flag , you earn it

And we did
Of course we won it, even if the Tom Hawkins non-goal was called it would still be a point and we still win. I don't understand why anyone would say St Kilda deserved 2009 - they should've kicked straight and didn't, just like we didn't in 2008 but we don't lay claims to the 2008 flag.

Do they hate Geelong or us as supporters?

They hate the club.
I have 6 or so mates that follow the saints.
They won’t watch geelong play. Even if it’s the saints playing the cats.

I’ve never tried to find out why they hate us. Possibly because I really don’t like the saints so I don’t care.

I’m not sure how far it goes back to be honest. I first started noticing it in the early 90’s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back