Heckler

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Watching Port Power replay.
What is it about O'Henry that irks?
A: He always attempts to mark.
Must learn when a spoil is better option.
Close and Stengle are adept crumber's
Is it just me?

Curious what are things that irk you?
Fess Up!

Dangers goal Kicking
Kolo's short pass clangers

My biggest and longest running Gripe.
My Great Peeve if you will.
Is playing home games in Melbourne.
Sorry we are Geelong.
We play in Geelong.
We have our own stadium.
11 Home games at HOME.
#40ThousandStrong
That's not a pet peeve Gee Class

That's a crime and I'm sick of pretending it's not

Pet peeve is the lack of genuine analysis in the media and residuary throughout games.

We joke about the footy shows demise and how crap it was, but most commentary is the equivalent of dressing fossil up as a pigeon a s getting Pendles on. They just speak to the preconceptions they had going into the game. They're incapable of picking up new information until late into the game if at all.

My biggest and longest running Gripe.
My Great Peeve if you will.
Is playing home games in Melbourne.
Sorry we are Geelong.
We play in Geelong.
We have our own stadium.
11 Home games at HOME.
#40ThousandStrong
And closely aligned to that is when you hear supporters of clubs like Richmond and Collingwood who refer to GMHBA as “cheat ground” even though their teams DON’T ever play at the ground.

Cheat Ground was Moorabbin, when the Saints groundskeeper would leave the hose on in the middle of the ground the night before a game so that the centre was a quagmire

Watching Port Power replay.
What is it about O'Henry that irks?
A: He always attempts to mark.
Must learn when a spoil is better option.
Close and Stengle are adept crumber's
Is it just me?

Curious what are things that irk you?
Fess Up!

Dangers goal Kicking
Kolo's short pass clangers
Media placing the success or failure outcome of a club directly on shoulders of the head coach.

Modern head coaches are senior managers of a wider team, half their job is handling the media. Sacking them is usually a knee jerk to poor on field outcomes which may not correlate with the coach doing a good or bad job.

I would sack Hinkley and Fagan as I feel they're too close to the players to challenge them effectively. Goodwin is on notice for this. Beveridge I feel isn't coming up with enough strategic adaptation and his list is underperforming. I would review the dogs assistant coaches first but I would consider sacking Beveridge if I felt his management of his the assistants was to controlling.

I have strong opinions on the sacking of Dew but that's for another time.

Dangerfield - consistently kicks, and seemingly blindly/poorly/dumpy, when in possession, only turning to the handball/throw while on knees/grounded. Very rarely takes or makes the link option by hand.
Any Kolo possession is heart in mouth stuff.
Umpire bashing/whinging. Just don't get it. How long have you followed this game (or most others TBH, altho some do it better) for??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Media placing the success or failure outcome of a club directly on shoulders of the head coach.

Modern head coaches are senior managers of a wider team, hang their job is handling the media. Sacking them is usually a knee jerk to poor on field outcomes which may not correlate with the coach doing a good or bad job.

I would sack Hinkley and Fagan as I feel they're too close to the players to challenge them effectively. Goodwin is on notice for this. Beveridge I feel isn't coming up with enough strategic adaptation and his list is underperforming. I would review the dogs assistant coaches first but I would consider sacking Beveridge if I felt his management of his the assistants was to controlling.

I have strong opinions on the sacking of Dew but that's for another time.
Forgive my ignorance but who is that in your avatar and why isn’t that person playing with their hair tied in a bun?

Water under the bridge now but Dangerfield not getting the Norm Smith last year still grinds away at my gears.

I'd have loved it for the romantic side of the story, and in hindsight he was probably a step above Smith for BOG, but on the day I had no issues with Smith winning it.
Had his hand in as many early scores as Danger, except he kicked goals while Danger helped set them up. That the was point of difference for the voting, even if Smith wasn't as consistent past quarter time, and Danger probably got better.
Even people who say things like "I've watched it back a few times and now noticed how good Dangerfield was", well the Norm voters don't get the luxury of watching replays and judging in hindsight, they have to make a very quick decision while they game is still playing, and honestly I reckon in that scenario they got it right.
In hindsight Danger was BOG though, and deserving of the Ayers medal (eww).

Water under the bridge now but Dangerfield not getting the Norm Smith last year still grinds away at my gears.
I completely agree. I think that would have rightly changed the conversation on Dangerfield's contribution to this football club. Dangerfield was so far above everyone else that day it was ridiculous - I've not seen someone dominate centre contests like that.

On this forum, the thing that irks me is how harshly we mark our superstars game-by-game... this is particularly true of the two mega-stars, Cameron, and (especially a few years ago) Dangerfield. A three-goal, fifteen-touch game from Gary Rohan, for example, is spoken of in hallowed tones... from Jeremy Cameron, it's not even a vote.

One other minor thing: the VFL fixture is very badly done for a comp which is, whether we like it or not, effectively the AFL reserves.

Four bye rounds in a season is ridiculous. Take last week, for example - Shannon Neale was, effectively, auditioning as hard as he could to break into the team in Hawkins' absence, but couldn't do a thing about it because of the bye.

Also the number of times that the VFL side plays before the AFL side - which means that the sub, and possibly any carryover emergency, doesn't get to play at all that weekend.

Umpires:
  1. overcontrolling the game
I completely disagree with this, to be honest. I think people sometimes have rose-tinted glasses of what the game used to look like.

If you look at the stats for a game in the 1970s, you'll see 40-odd free kicks per match... per team. Imagine that nowadays? The umpires would be sacked the next day.

Even a game like the 1989 Grand Final - the poster child for open, flowing September footy with the whistle being put away - had 50 free kicks in it.

Considering just how congested the modern game is, it has never been less controlled by umpires than it is now.

BT
The quality of tv commentary.
BT
Americanisms creeping in.
BT
The adjudication of the DOOB rule.
BT
Goal reviews based on blurred vision.
BT
The tribunal being hung up on outcome and disregarding intent.
BT

.......oh yeah, and BT.

This could win the internet.

You've already mentioned some of mine but with no thought and one sip of coffee I'll add.........
  1. The absolutely appalling standard of commentary that will now never get better. It's simply too late. (Honourable mention to Adam Papalia who is actually pretty decent).
  2. Every premiership player who now gets described as having "won" a premiership. They didn't. It's a team game you imbeciles. You play in a premiership, no single player has ever won one.
  3. The deliberate out of bounds rule (mentioned above), and especially the brain dead simpletons at the ground who now cheer for it to be paid. Congratulations. Your village has clearly lost a complete fecking idiot.
  4. Umpires who look at each other, then listen to the crowd before paying decisions that aren't there.
  5. Umpires who talk to the players like they are 8 year olds. For example the stand rule and nominating ruckmen. It's not the under-10s. If a team isn't ready tough s**t, just ball it in anyway.
  6. General softening up of the game (again, as touched on above). It's a physical game. You cannot have a contact sport without contact, and therefore there will be injuries. Alongside this are fans who think anyone in favour of a player not being suspended because he touched an opponent in a tackle automatically wants to see players knocked out every week. They must be from the same village as point 3.
  7. Letting players who take kick-ins have a disposal added. It artificially pumps up the stats in a game where stats have far too much prominence already, and makes it look like defenders who were so-so to crap were actually decent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back