Preview RD5 Cats and Eagles gather round a Crow near the Port of Adelaide or something like that

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting they named Knevitt. Parfitt missing out on sub vest due to missing previous week is harsh but likely
Parf will be sub. They will take tanner and simpson as “hold backs” just in case needed. Going to make the VFL a hard watch!

Knevitt fits the "tactical sub" mold. If you have to sub someone on because of injury, you can't predict who's going to be injured so you want to have as versatile a player as possible as the sub. A bloke 193cm tall can fill in for a midfielder, a tallish defender, or a HFF without issues, basically any position except ruck. If we don't get an injury we can still sub him on early in the 4th quarter if we're a mile ahead- it'll be good for his confidence and give him a little bit more experience. It would not surprise me if the club were thinking along these lines.
I agree.

But I think this week it is just an “encouragement thing”. Naming emergency but I doubt he will be on a plane. I reckon he plays VFL saturday.

Good to see a Thursday melt. The mood must be alright if it takes an emergency to get a bit of a melt.

A bit of me hopes they pick Knevitt just to see the reaction. I didn't see much in his VFL performance that really impressed me but he must be doing something right for the club to put him in the squad.
Encouragement. I back him longer term…but admit he looks like lacking a bit of confidence. No harm to show him that he isn’t far away and keep working. I suspect he stays in Melbourne and plays VFL

I'm hoping they're seeing something I'm not.

I watched him a bit at underage level and he's an inside mid.

They're playing him in different roles in the VFL.
I agree that he is an inside mid. Maybe they think that is hard to get him a game in afl (parf and bruhn struggling to get in)…so giving him versality. Or they see him as a blitz replacement over time? (I don’t but I dont count!)…

I am still bullish but he needs to build back some confidence

TBH it is pretty hard to do in our VFL team right now given lack of mature bodies

Could look at Knevitt in the squad over Dempsey in a few different ways.

1. Knevitt was never going to play but putting him in the squad might just be to help grow his confidence.
2. They wanted Dempsey to play a full game of VFL because he is getting close and didn't want to take him to SA for nothing.
3. They think Knevitt is ready and will be sub (but he is a mile off).

Could be a bunch of things really... Him coming in to play the Blitz role would blow my mind, but I guess this game is basically a gimme.
Good observations…I think it is a combination of 1 and 2. Plus Dempsey seems behind Simpson so they wouldn’t include them both as emergencies…

I agree.

But I think this week it is just an “encouragement thing”. Naming emergency but I doubt he will be on a plane. I reckon he plays VFL saturday.

I agree i think its the encouragement award that we regularly give 1st or 2nd year players because the coaches love him. He probably isnt that far off a game though. Parfitt or bruhn will be sub.

Surely a ruckman needs to come in for blitz. All his other roles can be filled by other players in the side. The one role that cant be filled is relief rucking.

We dont have another fit ruck. If blitz wasnt fit we just have to have someone like sdk or henry maybe take some ruck minutes.

I'm hoping they're seeing something I'm not.

I watched him a bit at underage level and he's an inside mid.

They're playing him in different roles in the VFL.

He will be an inside mid once he has 2 pre seasons more bulk but not yet.

Knevitt tested well for speed. Does not show it in games

Some players look better at AFL level than VFL level? Hasn't not come on at all and I personally wouldn't consider him for a game

Agree.

Knevitt is barely vfl quality let alone AFL. It is beyond me how he is named on the extended bench.

I was quite vocal last year how pedestrian he was (and rightly or wrongly shot down for my opinion) and he has not improved from last year. I was quite disappointed when we drafted him as his underage was extremely underwhelming, slow moving tallish awkwared looking mid that whose only move do to limitations was to walk into tackles to free the arms to handball as he had no evasiveness, no first quick few steps. Lacks kicking skills and a competitive attutude. I see nothing has changed this yr to date.

Extremely harsh on what looks like a good kid but we should never had drafted him… it looked obvious at the time too.

I know some posters at the time like PO were bullish on him but he had zero runs on the board and never looked close to it. I hope I’m wrong but another falcons bust… we need to stop being so falcons centric.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Bews out, I'd like Atkins to spend some time down back if they have a small nippy forward causing problems. Not sure we have another small tenacious style of defender in this team lineup. But only if the need arises, as we might need him in the midfield.

Agree.

Knevitt is barely vfl quality let alone AFL. It is beyond me how he is named on the extended bench.

I was quite vocal last year how pedestrian he was (and rightly or wrongly shot down for my opinion) and he has not improved from last year. I was quite disappointed when we drafted him as his underage was extremely underwhelming, slow moving tallish awkwared looking mid that whose only move do to limitations was to walk into tackles to free the arms to handball as he had no evasiveness, no first quick few steps. Lacks kicking skills and a competitive attutude. I see nothing has changed this yr to date.

Extremely harsh on what looks like a good kid but we should never had drafted him… it looked obvious at the time too.

I know some posters at the time like PO were bullish on him but he had zero runs on the board and never looked close to it. I hope I’m wrong but another falcons bust… we need to stop being so falcons centric.
I don't see a lot in him so far either... By all means, hope these Falcons kids all prove me wrong tbh. I wished we went Ginbey or Phillipou over Clark, but let's a see a bit longer timeframes.

With Bews out, I'd like Atkins to spend some time down back if they have a small nippy forward causing problems. Not sure we have another small tenacious style of defender in this team lineup. But only if the need arises, as we might need him in the midfield.
O'Connor will get that role to start with

It's not worth playing a second ruck imo, especially against the Eagles who have a lack of experience in that area. We have lots of players that can provide relief, including Knevitt himself.
And what happens if stanley goes down injured? It only happens well a lot.

it wouod gurantee a loss given there is literally no one who can ruck. Even our terrible back up in henry is now gone.

it wouod gurantee a loss given there is literally no one who can ruck. Even our terrible back up in henry is now gone.
You're forgetting we're competing against West Coast whose ruck is Bailey Williams.

Edited to remove error.

Last edited:

We could play Close in the ruck and we'd beat the Eagles easily.

Last edited:
I hope I’m wrong but another falcons bust… we need to stop being so falcons centric
Yep - Our strike rate with the falcons is only decent when they've gone to another club (including local leagues) first. I looked at the stats some time back and the Falcons were pretty much our worst strike-out club of all the TAC clubs. Very, very few players make it when we recruit direct.

Ceglar? Neale? Henry is injured. Sdk is coming off an injury so you arent putting him in the ruck. nor hawkins anymore either.

Ceglar = ruck or bust, but mainly bust. We've seen Stanley play behind the ball which gives us flexibility with him after centre bounces, but not sure we have flexibility with Ceglar or if he could necessarily take the bulk of ruck work around the ground if both are on the field at the same time - and not sure a dedicated ruck interchange is a good use of the interchange cap, as that's what would likely happen with one of Stanley/Ceglar on the bench most of the time

Neale = injured

Henry = Ollie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back