Preview Round 21: Geelong vs Port Adelaide, - Saturday 5 August 7:25pm @ KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
catempire don't you just love the myth of Martin killing Kolodjashnij in the 2020 grand final still gets rolled out 3 years on

I would have thought after the work you did to actually show the clips of each goal and dispel that myth that it would eventually die, but I guess not

I do enjoy a Friday morning laugh though

I would've replaced Smith for tomorrow's game. His 'effort' last week was very soft.
Jack Henry is one who’s escaped scrutiny from last weeks game.
He was awful and this effort from him against Walters is ridiculously soft - (1:10 mark)
And wtf is Stewart thinking while chasing Freddrick? He holds back. Surely tackle him.

Not Kolodjashnij, that's for sure - and this point has been discussed and that claim proven false repeatedly over recent seasons, but some still like to run with the Kolodjadhnij myth for some reason

JK was closest to Martin when he went that snap around the body in front of goals

Martin's goal from the boundary line was when he broke tackles from Blicavs & Dangerfield

When he went the long bomb from outside 50 it was after breaking an attempted tackle by O'Connor

And the easiest of all goals was when Tuohy was closest to him, he allowed Martin to stand on his own out the back of a marking contest, while he decided to jump into the contest but failed to impact anything. Instead, the ball got out the back to where Martin was on his own

But please, keep going with they myth of Kolodjashnij being responsible for all 4 goals... Makes for a good laugh
He was absolutely Martin's direct opponent for goals 1 and 4 (4th he just loses him) and had a hand in the other 2. The 2nd goal it was Tuohy standing with him, but Kolo rushing back is inconsequential at the congestion and then finds himself a couple of metres trailing behind Martin. The third Martin goal he is sitting out the back of a pack while Kolo goes up to contest as the third man and it falls out the back for a Martin goal. There were also multiple lead outs to half forward opposed to Kolo where he won possession and got the ball inside 50, sometimes for scoring shots.

If Kolo is effective at the congestion for goal 2 or makes an effective spoil for goal 3, those Martin goals don't exist. And the other two are self explanatory as he was the one standing Martin when the ball came inside 50.

I respect your endeavour but this is one of those ones you're wrong on.

catempire don't you just love the myth of Martin killing Kolodjashnij in the 2020 grand final still gets rolled out 3 years on

I would have thought after the work you did to actually show the clips of each goal and dispel that myth that it would eventually die, but I guess not

I do enjoy a Friday morning laugh though
Glad you enjoy it but Kolo was either directly or indirectly responsible for all 4 goals, and ineffective in every single situation.

So laugh on.

Not Kolodjashnij, that's for sure - and this point has been discussed and that claim proven false repeatedly over recent seasons, but some still like to run with the Kolodjadhnij myth for some reason

JK was closest to Martin when he went that snap around the body in front of goals

Martin's goal from the boundary line was when he broke tackles from Blicavs & Dangerfield

When he went the long bomb from outside 50 it was after breaking an attempted tackle by O'Connor

And the easiest of all goals was when Tuohy was closest to him, he allowed Martin to stand on his own out the back of a marking contest, while he decided to jump into the contest but failed to impact anything. Instead, the ball got out the back to where Martin was on his own

But please, keep going with they myth of Kolodjashnij being responsible for all 4 goals... Makes for a good laugh

It's the myth that will never die. Like all matchups every week, they change during the game.

One goal was definitely on Tuohy (third quarter) because Tuohy can't defend one on one to begin with and also fell over. Martin's third goal (last quarter) was when Blicavs decided the best way to mind the most dangerous player on the ground was to stand 15 metres away from him.

Jack Henry is one who’s escaped scrutiny from last weeks game.
He was awful and this effort from him against Walters is ridiculously soft - (1:10 mark)
And wtf is Stewart thinking while chasing Freddrick? He holds back. Surely tackle him.

My biggest frustration with the Frederick goal is that while the ball was still loose & there to be won as a ground ball, O'Connor was running in from a more central location & looked in a good position to impact the pending play

Stewart then appears to call him out of it and send him running the other way

Glad you enjoy it but Kolo was either directly or indirectly responsible for all 4 goals, and ineffective in every single situation.

So laugh on.
That game has no real emotional meaning for me. Yeah we lost a Grand Final but it didn’t even feel like it and doesn’t really now.
2008 on the other hand… I swear it gets worse as the years roll on.

My biggest frustration with the Frederick goal is that while the ball was still loose & there to be won as a ground ball, O'Connor was running in from a more central location & looked in a good position to impact the pending play

Stewart then appears to call him out of it and send him running the other way
Good spot. I only just noticed that. He runs the other way! Jesus surely run towards the ball and pressure the kicker.

It's the myth that will never die. Like all matchups every week, they change during the game.

One goal was definitely on Tuohy (third quarter) because Tuohy can't defend one on one to begin with and also fell over. Martin's third goal (last quarter) was when Blicavs decided the best way to mind the most dangerous player on the ground was to stand 15 metres away from him.

Once a whipping boy, always a whipping boy in the eyes of some

The funny thing is that ALL players have bad games & ones they'd rather forget - there's no reason to create some sort of fantasy of a particular match being poor when there's other, real examples

On reflection I can reconcile with the fact that Knevitt, Dempsey and Neale didn't get a look in - the club are sticking with what they know and backing it in to get the job done this week, rightly or wrongly.

But if it's not them, then someone has to come in to the midfield surely? We've been beat up in the midfield the last two weeks, and have lost one of our most experienced performers in that area to injury (Blicavs), and yet we haven't brought in any reinforcements.

You can have a valid debate about whether we should have gone with the old (Parfitt, Menegola) or the new (Knevitt, Dempsey) to try and bolster that area. But surely 'neither' is not the right answer?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That game has no real emotional meaning for me. Yeah we lost a Grand Final but it didn’t even feel like it and doesn’t really now.

It's still a Grand final. The number of Geelong supporters who would be saying "well we've only won 10 flags, because we don't count 2020" is zero.

It's not as bad as 2008, completely agree with that (nothing is), but it's still an opportunity lost. Especially being in front at half time.

How is Jeremy’s wife going - thought that last reports suggested she was going ok or have things changed?

It sucked reading her (their) story earlier this year, and something we’ve posted updates on when they’ve been made public - obviously hoping for a positive outcome
Apparently Jeremy's wife is undergoing another round of chemo (although she isn't terminal anymore) which explains the drop of form

That much I agree with. It doesn't change the fact that Kolo was the common factor across all four goals and did poorly in each situation.

But anyway moving on. Selection angst is getting to a few people.

The funny thing is that ALL players have bad games & ones they'd rather forget - there's no reason to create some sort of fantasy of a particular match being poor when there's other, real examples

Absolutely. I despise Gary Rohan and wish he'd never been recruited, but without him we don't beat Collingwood in last year's Qualifying Final. Dangerfield's 2016 was amazing and his first 4-5 years for us were brilliant, but his 2020 Grand final was an embarrassment.

Not just teams but players can change dramatically from one year to another to be almost unrecognisable. Look at Cotchin in finals from 2015 to 2017. You'd swear it was an evil twin.

Last edited:
Good spot. I only just noticed that. He runs the other way! Jesus surely run towards the ball and pressure the kicker.

It happened the pocket below where I sit

It honestly seemed like Stewart must have called him out with some hope that Frederick would try centring the ball is he was able to take clean possession - thus O'Connor could be in a better position to helping a secondary contest

Problem is that Frederick had a shot on goal for a genuine goal of the year contender, and Stewart never got close enough to have an impact

The irony of this when I've been one of Kolo's biggest backers over the years. He's had numerous good finals even from the days people were insistent he failed in that situation every single time.

He had a poor game, it's fine, it happens. He responded really well since, especially in 2022.

Like all matchups every week, they change during the game.
This is the reason people on both sides will argue for days.

Nearly all teams play a zone defence of sorts. So, individual matchups change ALL the time, like every minute.

So if an opponent has a day out and kicks a bag, it's very hard to pin that on any individual player.
But if a player has a horrible game, it's very hard to pin specific opposition goals on them.

So both sides are right, and both sides are wrong, depending on how you look at it.

It's still a Grand final. The number of Geelong supporters who would be saying "well we've only won 10 flags, because we don't count 2020" is zero.

It's not as bad as 2008, completely agree with that (nothing is), but it's still an opportunity lost. Especially being in front at half time.
Felt a bit like 1992 in that respect.

Since when is having 1 goal kicked on you a massacre?
Resuscitation fibreboard all the damage done by Martin was after he into the middle

Edit: I don't even remember what I was trying to write here but this is probably better the way it is

Last edited:

Yeah I’m not saying it’s not a Grand Final. I agree with you. It would have been nice to win it, but I’m not shattered we lost it.

I am surprised that after our midfield got smashed last week, the midfield remains the same this week. Parfitt, who is no doubt finished at Geelong, had 40 possessions in the VFL, and Menegola close to 30. Both are named as emergencies. Maybe, there will be a few late changes?
I assume Parfitt will be sub…unless as you say there are late changes

if I am right, it probably shows Menegola may be done as a Cat? If he isn’t one of the “do things differently” moves this week into a midfield that has been smashed the last few weeks (understanding he is more wing)… I suspect we may have seen the last of him at AFL level for the Cats? I thought that if he was going to get a shot it would be this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back