Preview Round 6 - Flag unfurling in GF rematch: Geelong vs Sydney, 22 April, 7:25pm @ HOME (KP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A week where the emergencies are probably more interesting than the ins and outs which were all but locked in on Sunday night.

Knevitt joins parfitt, Simpson and Bruhn in the understudies this week. I’d give sub to Bruhn. Parfitt probably needs full games to get something back, either in vfl or even afl. Seems pretty nervy in the green vest.

A week where the emergencies are probably more interesting than the ins and outs which were all but locked in on Sunday night.

Knevitt joins parfitt, Simpson and Bruhn in the understudies this week. I’d give sub to Bruhn. Parfitt probably needs full games to get something back, either in vfl or even afl. Seems pretty nervy in the green vest.
Parfitt won't get much out of the vfl bye

Not sure who they name

Parfitt won't get much out of the vfl bye

Not sure who they name
I would think Bruhn or Simpson given they didn’t play at all last week. And VFL bye.

My leaning will be to Simpson (although think Bruhn deserves it more). As a bit of flexibility in the smaller forward line just in case Henry/Rohan mix doesn’t work and they want to inject some pace?

What seems now confirmed is that Simpson is ahead of Dempsey for that forward spot - which means he might struggle to get many games this year without massive injury list

We've gone with the same emergencies as last week - only question is who'll be the sub this week, because with VFL team having a bye there's really no other opportunity for anyone to press for inclusion next week

Then add in that with Simpson & Bruhn traveling to Adelaide last week but not playing, if they don't play this week it's 2 weeks of no game time

AFL Round 6 Team​

IN: Gary Rohan, Jonathon Ceglar
OUT: Tyson Stengle (injured), Rhys Stanley (injured)

BacksEsava RatugoleaSam De KoningTom Stewart (VC)
Half BacksJake KolodjashnijMark BlicavsZach Guthrie
CentrelineIsaac SmithMax HolmesZach Tuohy
Half ForwardsMitch DuncanTom HawkinsGary Rohan
ForwardsOllie HenryJeremy CameronBrad Close
FollowersJonathon CeglarTom AtkinsPatrick Dangerfield (C)
InterchangeJack BowesMark O'ConnorCameron Guthrie
Gryan Miers
EmergenciesBrandan ParfittMitch KnevittTanner Bruhn
Sam Simpson

As expected.

I think the Swans side looks pretty talented, however we have a significant size advantage and we should dominate the aerial battles.

I think at Geelong we should be expecting to win this.

They do have an advantage with a large number of talented running players and small forwards, so we will need to play our best game of the year in the midfield.

I think the Swans side looks pretty talented, however we have a significant size advantage and we should dominate the aerial battles.

I think at Geelong we should be expecting to win this.

They do have an advantage with a large number of talented running players and small forwards, so we will need to play our best game of the year in the midfield.

They will probably have to play fox on cameron so hopefully we can isolate that matchup.

Team changes poses a few interesting questions.
Ceglar is a like for like swap. He will play a similar role.
Players given a Big Ask usually rise to the challenge.

Tyson creates goals out of nowhere, which cannot be replaced
Rohan relies on upfield delivery and his accurate set shots.
Close and OHenry will need to kick a few goals to compensate.
This will only happen if the Cats midfield players dominate.

Parfitt remains a potential emergency after a lack luster showing.
Given the chance he must take it.. he will feel the pressure
If overlooked, it will be a blow to his confidence and a worry.
Especially as a younger replacement need only show promise.

Bews' team role is to lock-down opponent's best small forward.
Without him our backline appears to be quite tall.
Swans will definitely plan to exploit this mismatch.
Scott may be tempted to throw Atkins back if needed.

Was that written/contributed to by posters from here...

• Geelong losses = doom & gloom
  • Geelong win = good but against s**t
  • Geelong now play Swans = lose will mean 🤔, and a win will be good but it's still against current s**t...

So essentially, don't worry about what happens if Geelong wins as those wins mean nothing - we only care if they lose...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was that written/contributed to by posters from here...

• Geelong losses = doom & gloom
  • Geelong win = good but against s**t
  • Geelong now play Swans = lose will mean 🤔, and a win will be good but it's still against current s**t...

So essentially, don't worry about what happens if Geelong wins as those wins mean nothing - we only care if they lose...
Season over if we lose. Means nothing/don't care if we win. I think this is all we're going to hear until about round 10.

Football media have tried to double down and focus on the bad parts of the last two games, and there are pre loaded caveats for the matches ahead:

"Depleted swans at the cheat ground"
"It's only Essendon"
"Young crows due a down game...at the cheat ground"

Those are the next 3 excuses against current top 8 teams if we win.

Then:

"Tigers too many injuries"
"Dockers aren't good this season"

In case we go any further.

Season over if we lose. Means nothing/don't care if we win. I think this is all we're going to hear until about round 10.

Football media have tried to double down and focus on the bad parts of the last two games, and there are pre loaded caveats for the matches ahead:

"It's only Essendon"

Then:

The funny thing is, that until half time against Hawthorn we didn't look that great ourselves - yes we were always the most likely to get ourselves out of the rut between the two teams, but it's not like we were world beaters smashing the little guy

I hope Bruhn is the sub he deserves to be in the side and his run late could be helpful. Parfitt needs some serious work on his game, he doesn’t do well coming into games as the sub. Was playing poorly at vfl level but surely has to go back there for a block of games and work out what’s going wrong for him.

Knevitt would be good to see at afl level again, I know there’s knockers on here. But he has added some muscle and his starting to look good across the ground int the vfl. Not really sure where he plays at afl level at the moment but he’s good some translatable skills.

"It's only Essendon"

Then:

I'm amazed people are still worried what the outside think.

Who cares.

"It's only Essendon"

Then:

I don't disagree with all your media-imposed caveats here. Just hope we actually get to hear them all, as that will mean we have actually started to put together some consistent and competitive football.

That will be so much better than potentially listening to 'Told you the Cats were finished!'

The funny thing is, that until half time against Hawthorn we didn't look that great ourselves - yes we were always the most likely to get ourselves out of the rut between the two teams, but it's not like we were world beaters smashing the little guy
Agree. I am probably more confused now than I was to start the year - in terms of our prospects. Is it just another “slow start”, “integrating new players” etc…or are we slipping down that cliff. We were pretty good first two weeks against good teams but didn’t get the W….then a really poor game followed by two easy kills….

The next 3 weeks are really key to bringing some clarity as to where we really are. Against a good team (albeit a bit under manned) and then two of the most confident and inform teams in the competition (With speed). We will all three and my confusion clears and expect us to build slowly toward another crack. Lose all 3 and confusion clears and wait for the “play the kids” to come back!

I suppose the issue is if we win just 1 or 2 of the next 3…maybe then just have to hang on before making too many judgements

FWIW my ladder predictor had 2 games between 2nd on ladder and 10th! So not missing out on too many 4 points starts to become important very soon.

For this week I was really confident…on paper we are too experienced and have too many weapons….as it gets closer I assume I will become more nervous about Swans midfield?

I don't disagree with all your media-imposed caveats here. Just hope we actually get to hear them all, as that will mean we have actually started to put together some consistent and competitive football.

That will be so much better than potentially listening to 'Told you the Cats were finished!'
I'm not necessarily disagreeing either, I think it's also the attitude that will be taken here. I'm just going to enjoy the games one by one. It's good to see the boys home at last this week.

I hope Bruhn is the sub he deserves to be in the side and his run late could be helpful. Parfitt needs some serious work on his game, he doesn’t do well coming into games as the sub. Was playing poorly at vfl level but surely has to go back there for a block of games and work out what’s going wrong for him.

Knevitt would be good to see at afl level again, I know there’s knockers on here. But he has added some muscle and his starting to look good across the ground int the vfl. Not really sure where he plays at afl level at the moment but he’s good some translatable skills.

Bruhn offers no outside run... Knevitt or Simpson could come in late and add some zip or outside options.

Knevitt has a good last 1/4 on the wing in the VFL last week... could imagine him being actually a good late addition to the game as others tire.

If Bruhn isn't sub and misses two weeks of playing in a row it'll be a damn shame though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back