Preview Round 6 - Flag unfurling in GF rematch: Geelong vs Sydney, 22 April, 7:25pm @ HOME (KP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Richmond are down on form and personnel we really should beat them if we are a finals side.

And will. Easily. They should have beaten the Dogs and were very good against Sydney for three quarters before mistakes from young players killed them.

Funnily enough I reckon they're playing with more spirit than they have for a couple of years. But where their list is now they won't trouble top teams. Certainly not consistently. Too many blunders and too inexperienced at the bottom. Not to mention they'll never kick winning scores without Lynch.

Sorry if it’s already been posted but Bews is officially ruled out - will be available v Essendon.

Papley is clearly their best chance of kicking a winning score with no Buddy, Amartey or Reid.. MOC to do some incredibly close checking please.
Is Bews ruled out on fitness or is he still in concussion protocols with the Hawks game being a Monday?

Is Bews ruled out on fitness or is he still in concussion protocols with the Hawks game being a Monday?
imo its concussion bc of the dates as you say Easter Monday and +12 days.

GO Catters

This from the Addy is a bit ambigious, sounds like he's cleared protocols but perhaps still has symptoms?

Geelong will not be able to call upon defender Jed Bews to curb Sydney goalkicker Tom Papley after the premiership Cat was ruled out of a return on Saturday night.

Bews will sit out a second match after he was concussed on Easter Monday against Hawthorn.

The reliable lockdown backman trained on Tuesday and would have cleared the mandatory 12-day concussion period and face the Swans but he will not be available and is in line to instead return against Essendon in round 7.

This from the Addy is a bit ambigious, sounds like he's cleared protocols but perhaps still has symptoms?

I wonder if clubs have, of their own accord, unofficially started to extend the return timelines for concussed players, in response to the litigation underway, and the better understanding of concussion?

I'm not sure why people are seemingly surprised that Jed has been ruled out for this weeks clash, when that had already been announced last week by Simon Lloyd:

Jed Bews will miss at least the next fortnight after suffering a head knock against Hawthorn on Easter Monday, but according to Lloyd, is in good spirits.

"Jed's obviously entered the concussion protocols, so that will be a gradual return over the next 12-14 days," he said. "Jed's in good spirits at the moment, and we're guided by our medical team in that space."

---

I'm not sure how many (if any) concussions Bews has previously had, but seeing how we're treating concussions this year with JK missing an extended time after his pre-season match concussion, and then ruling Jed out for a minimum of 2 weeks pretty quickly, we seem happy to not be rushing back players - if they're going to miss 2, 3, or 4 matches, then that's what they're going to miss and we work around that

I wonder if clubs have, of their own accord, unofficially started to extend the return timelines for concussed players, in response to the litigation underway, and the better understanding of concussion?
Yeah I think the days of 1 week off being the norm for concussion are in the past and it seemed to even be trending that way a little before the recent news. Which in reality is probably for the best.

I'm not sure why people are seemingly surprised that Jed has been ruled out for this weeks clash, when that had already been announced last week by Simon Lloyd:

Jed Bews will miss at least the next fortnight after suffering a head knock against Hawthorn on Easter Monday, but according to Lloyd, is in good spirits.

"Jed's obviously entered the concussion protocols, so that will be a gradual return over the next 12-14 days," he said. "Jed's in good spirits at the moment, and we're guided by our medical team in that space."

---

I'm not sure how many (if any) concussions Bews has previously had, but seeing how we're treating concussions this year with JK missing an extended time after his pre-season match concussion, and then ruling Jed out for a minimum of 2 weeks pretty quickly, we seem happy to not be rushing back players - if they're going to miss 2, 3, or 4 matches, then that's what they're going to miss and we work around that
Jed hasn't quite been at it this season yet anyway. The couple of weeks off and a chance to reset next week may be a blessing in disguise.

Jed hasn't quite been at it this season yet anyway. The couple of weeks off and a chance to reset next week may be a blessing in disguise.

I think our whole defence has been a little off at times, and that may well be down to personnel changes back there and the lack of continuity not just week to week but often also within games due to injuries

We seemed much more settled down back last year, players knew their roles and we saw switches & such just naturally happening

Obviously this year we've had no JH, while JK missed early rounds and both TS & SDK have missed games, and then you add in ER - it's a change for all players, understanding their roles and just getting back to the comfort of playing alongside each other again where things just happen

The other week against GC, I'm pretty sure it was both TS & ZT who stood back for the other to get involved when a Suns player took an uncontested mark in their forward line - both guys looked at each other with an expression of expecting the other to go the ball. That's likely due to TS first game back from knee injury & ZT not spending as much time in defence over the last 18/24 months as he has this year

And that likely also comes into it for Bews - as the team settles, some of these guys who look to have had slower starts to the season may start to come into their own again as everything river around then starts to click

I don't think you can clear protocols if you still have symptoms. the 12 days is a minimum, along with other criteria. If you don't pass those other criteria, then you have to wait longer to 'clear protocols', as far as I'm aware.

Either that, or as others have alluded to, perhaps the club is just taking a conservative approach this year with all concussions and having a club imposed 2 game lay-off, even if they tick all the boxes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could be some of that but I bet players are also more prone to saying “I’m still not right” now they know the potential lifelong consequences.

Bews looks bigger to me this year. Maybe a bit too heavy

I thought he looked huge in the thighs - looked like bloody John Nicholls

That premiership flag unfurling will be a joyfull occasion for all Cat supporters

Its interesting - i will never forget Adrian Hickmott - red haired bloke - he played for us for a while - reasonable player - and he played in Geelongs heavy loss/defeat by Carlton in the 95 GF

Then in that offseason he was cleared/traded to Carlton - and he played in Carltons game when they unfurled their 95 flag - so all the players were lined up on the ground etc - when they unfurled it - and they said to Hicky - what did you do when they unfurled it - and he said - i just looked down at the grass - hah

IN: Gary Rohan, Jonathon Ceglar
OUT: Tyson Stengle (injured), Rhys Stanley (injured), Brandan Parfitt (sub)

Emerg: Brandan Parfitt, Mitch Knevitt, Tanner Bruhn, Sam Simpson

beer keg GIF by US National Archives

AFL Round 6 Team​

OUT: Tyson Stengle (injured), Rhys Stanley (injured)

BacksEsava RatugoleaSam De KoningTom Stewart (VC)
Half BacksJake KolodjashnijMark BlicavsZach Guthrie
CentrelineIsaac SmithMax HolmesZach Tuohy
Half ForwardsMitch DuncanTom HawkinsGary Rohan
ForwardsOllie HenryJeremy CameronBrad Close
FollowersJonathon CeglarTom AtkinsPatrick Dangerfield (C)
InterchangeJack BowesMark O'ConnorCameron Guthrie
Gryan Miers
EmergenciesBrandan ParfittMitch KnevittTanner Bruhn
Sam Simpson

AFL Round 6 Team​

OUT: Tyson Stengle (injured), Rhys Stanley (injured)

BacksEsava RatugoleaSam De KoningTom Stewart (VC)
Half BacksJake KolodjashnijMark BlicavsZach Guthrie
CentrelineIsaac SmithMax HolmesZach Tuohy
Half ForwardsMitch DuncanTom HawkinsGary Rohan
ForwardsOllie HenryJeremy CameronBrad Close
FollowersJonathon CeglarTom AtkinsPatrick Dangerfield (C)
InterchangeJack BowesMark O'ConnorCameron Guthrie
Gryan Miers
EmergenciesBrandan ParfittMitch KnevittTanner Bruhn
Sam Simpson

Differences between that side and the premiership side for those playing along at home:

In: Ratugolea Holmes O.Henry Ceglar Bowes
Out: Bews J.Henry Selwood Stanley Stengle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back