Preview Round 6 - Flag unfurling in GF rematch: Geelong vs Sydney, 22 April, 7:25pm @ HOME (KP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This year so far - Swans couldnt beat Pt Ade at the SCG - and also Melb beat them by a big margin at the MCG

So they are onlly travelling so so this year - their last qtr against Rich last week was good though

Biggest thing they have got going for them - is they do play the Geel ground very well - watched them when they flogged West Coast by 90 plus pts last year - so the ground this week wont be an obstacle - like it is for most visiting teams

Bizarre season this one - you could throw a net over about 10-12 sides and apart from Coll who i think at this stage are the only certainty to make the 8 - all the others could put the gear stick in reverse very quickly

This year is all about qualifying with enough wins - no matter how ordinary the wins are - so with Geel it is not so much how they play - its just keep winning

I'm not necessarily disagreeing either, I think it's also the attitude that will be taken here. I'm just going to enjoy the games one by one. It's good to see the boys home at last this week.
These next few game will certainly be far more instructive than the last couple of matches. If we can't go 3-1 over the next month, I think we are in serious trouble. The match-ups themselves, the 'health' of the opponents, and the venues for the contests really couldn't be much better for us right now.

These next few game will certainly be far more instructive than the last couple of matches. If we can't go 3-1 over the next month, I think we are in serious trouble. The match-ups themselves, the 'health' of the opponents, and the venues for the contests really couldn't be much better for us right now.
Yeah even after the Gold Coast game I was hoping for a 5-1 run without thinking it was too silly. Achieve it and season is absolutely on track. Melbourne is the only home game we can afford to drop.

I thought we had a very easy run from about R3 to the bye... So need to cash in on it because it'll get harder on the run home.

Agree. I am probably more confused now than I was to start the year - in terms of our prospects. Is it just another “slow start”, “integrating new players” etc…or are we slipping down that cliff. We were pretty good first two weeks against good teams but didn’t get the W….then a really poor game followed by two easy kills….

The next 3 weeks are really key to bringing some clarity as to where we really are. Against a good team (albeit a bit under manned) and then two of the most confident and inform teams in the competition (With speed). We will all three and my confusion clears and expect us to build slowly toward another crack. Lose all 3 and confusion clears and wait for the “play the kids” to come back!

I suppose the issue is if we win just 1 or 2 of the next 3…maybe then just have to hang on before making too many judgements

FWIW my ladder predictor had 2 games between 2nd on ladder and 10th! So not missing out on too many 4 points starts to become important very soon.

For this week I was really confident…on paper we are too experienced and have too many weapons….as it gets closer I assume I will become more nervous about Swans midfield?
To me, it's pretty clear where this team is at. Their best is a fair bit better than anyone else.

Like Duncan said this week, if they get their game going for longer periods, we'll come out on top.

But I expect the increase will be gradual. I see a team that is taking a tournament approach to this season. Sure, you can be unlucky and lose key players at the wrong time. But you've also got to make your own luck a little bit in terms of banking the wins where you can without showing too much of your hand tactically, managing players well, not exhausting the team by going 100% for 4 quarters for 22 rounds.

It wouldn't be an AFL season without Geelong being written off. It's a thing of beauty.

Turn off the ladder predictor. If we have a relatively healthy list and the right preparation for September, I'm not seeing another side that is a legitimate threat.

My leaning will be to Simpson (although think Bruhn deserves it more). As a bit of flexibility in the smaller forward line just in case Henry/Rohan mix doesn’t work and they want to inject some pace?

Bruhn offers no outside run... Knevitt or Simpson could come in late and add some zip or outside options.

Simpson is not quick. FWIW I rate him, but he is not quick

Was that written/contributed to by posters from here...

• Geelong losses = doom & gloom
  • Geelong win = good but against s**t
  • Geelong now play Swans = lose will mean 🤔, and a win will be good but it's still against current s**t...

So essentially, don't worry about what happens if Geelong wins as those wins mean nothing - we only care if they lose...

TBF we are the reigning premiers and have started 2-3, with our two wins against the bottom two sides on the ladder. Not to mention we were losing at half time in the Hawthorn game. I think you're looking through rose coloured glasses if you think we've started the season well.

It's still early days; there is a lot of time to get rolling into the season, so it's not all doom and gloom. And you're right, the next few weeks will probably help in determining where we are at. But I think the criticism of how we've played, both on here and in the media, is pretty warranted at this stage.

TBF we are the reigning premiers and have started 2-3, with our two wins against the bottom two sides on the ladder. Not to mention we were losing at half time in the Hawthorn game. I think you're looking through rose coloured glasses if you think we've started the season well.

It's still early days; there is a lot of time to get rolling into the season, so it's not all doom and gloom. And you're right, the next few weeks will probably help in determining where we are at. But I think the criticism of how we've played, both on here and in the media, is pretty warranted at this stage.
The reason nobody should care is that we were 4-2 last year with a lucky win and could be 3-3 this season with no lucky wins. Jumping the gun is silly, same as if we won all 6 and there were articles "This Geelong side cannot be stopped" ala Melbourne 2022.

Was that written/contributed to by posters from here...

• Geelong losses = doom & gloom
  • Geelong win = good but against s**t
  • Geelong now play Swans = lose will mean 🤔, and a win will be good but it's still against current s**t...

So essentially, don't worry about what happens if Geelong wins as those wins mean nothing - we only care if they lose...
I kinda prefer this narrative.

Bruhn offers no outside run... Knevitt or Simpson could come in late and add some zip or outside options.

Knevitt has a good last 1/4 on the wing in the VFL last week... could imagine him being actually a good late addition to the game as others tire.

If Bruhn isn't sub and misses two weeks of playing in a row it'll be a damn shame though.
I wouldn’t say he offers nothing on the outside but yes he’s certainly more an inside player. The run he can offer doesn’t have to be getting outside though.
Having a fresh player get the ball out to Holmes etc still be valuable.
The sub role is probably not a role generally suited to inside mids partly why Parfitt struggles with it.

I don’t see any role at afl level for Simpson it’d be concerning if he was regularly getting games.

Simpson is not quick. FWIW I rate him, but he is not quick
Not even talking about his actual speed... but the way he plays the game is that he isn't flat-footed and is an on-the-move type with some decent evasion skills.

Personally, I want to see Knevitt be named sub... not that he is flying though.

Knevitt can offer a bit of a threat in the air verses other mids and worked hard up and back on the wing late last week, which was important to getting the W.

Simpson, Bruhn and Parf are all ground level players without great skills.

Just want to see a kid get a birth as sub... be it Knevitt or Dempsey (who isn't an option).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trust me, I'm under no illusion or posted in such a manner that we've had an ideal start to the season & playing well let alone at the level we want

I'm not sure about opposition fans, but all too often around the traps (and not isolated to this year), when we win it's because we were meant to win & thus we shouldn't read too much into it. But when we lose it's because we're s**t/poor, the doom & gloom comes out and we're falling off a cliff

Just funny to see that narrative has now somewhat made it into the media

There's no doubt we have a lot of things to work on, but we've had positive signs across all our matches, and sometimes those are the things we should be more focused on rather than just the negatives

The reason nobody should care is that we were 4-2 last year with a lucky win and could be 3-3 this season with no lucky wins. Jumping the gun is silly, same as if we won all 6 and there were articles "This Geelong side cannot be stopped" ala Melbourne 2022.
For a bit of perspective we were 5-4 after 9 rounds last year and weren't setting the world on fire early.

For a bit of perspective we were 5-4 after 9 rounds last year and weren't setting the world on fire early.
Exactly. Don't get me wrong I haven't been pleased with our start. Dropping the Carlton and Gold Coast games was disappointing. But yeah we just need that 5-4 mark and go from there with form/fitness and availability improving.

Understand that. And the club obviously now prioritise being in good shape at the right time of year. I think they learned a lot from 2019 when we started 11-1 and ran out of puff. Melbourne last year another good example.

I just think the commentary is often very extreme either way - the club can do no wrong, or we're about to fall off a cliff. It's a long season, and while I don't expect a repeat of last year, if we improve in the second half of the year and even finish in the 4-8 range, I'd back us to challenge for the flag. But if people can't criticise, or at the least be apprehensive after the start we've had this year, then when can they be?

To me, it's pretty clear where this team is at. Their best is a fair bit better than anyone else.

Like Duncan said this week, if they get their game going for longer periods, we'll come out on top.

But I expect the increase will be gradual. I see a team that is taking a tournament approach to this season. Sure, you can be unlucky and lose key players at the wrong time. But you've also got to make your own luck a little bit in terms of banking the wins where you can without showing too much of your hand tactically, managing players well, not exhausting the team by going 100% for 4 quarters for 22 rounds.

It wouldn't be an AFL season without Geelong being written off. It's a thing of beauty.

Turn off the ladder predictor. If we have a relatively healthy list and the right preparation for September, I'm not seeing another side that is a legitimate threat.
Agree with that. Except 4 points early is the same as 4 points later.

2022 was exceptions to win 16 on the trot. If we can repeat that then yes the next few weeks don’t matter. Otherwise it would be good not to fall too far behind the ledger.

I don’t think any particular game this early is important but the next month is

But your points are valid

There's no doubt we have a lot of things to work on, but we've had positive signs across all our matches, and sometimes those are the things we should be more focused on rather than just the negatives
I understand the point you're making. But the idea that there were any positive signs in that Suns match is just completely bizarre to me. Truly one of the worst performances I've ever seen (from what was quite a decent Cats team, given the selected players) in over 40 years of watching the hoops.

In the end, though, your general thrust is correct. Things are never as good as they seem or as bad as they seem. And I believe we will get a far clearer picture of how we're truly going after these next few games, anyway. The past fortnight has really only been 8 points on the ladder and an opportunity to build a little form and fitness, given the 'quality' of the opposition. Let's see how that now translates against some teams who are showing a little bit at this early point in the season.

In terms of our start vs last year - well made posts today.

This time last year a lot of us were voicing “play the kids” given our start and our perceived (lack of) prospects for a flag. We are hearing none of that from supporters as we all understand now what this list is capable of in terms of building from a slow start. So I think we (forget the media who get paid not to have considered views!) are actually quite balanced.

The risk though is to be too “relaxed” and assume that what happened last year should just repeat itself. Last year we never got “behind” and never lost 2 in a row. Now in of itself that is not a big deal so early but we always had a little buffer for an off night and then responded. We also had a lot more serious injuries (miers, Rohan, danger, Holmes) and were playing a number of players who were not best 22 (Higgins, Dal and got a dozen games into young players in first half)…. All of that reversed and we hardly had any best 22 missing for the last half (steward suspended and Holmes the last day)…

This year we are playing slight catch up and have got most of our best 25 available? (Although this week maybe not)…So we are just hoping that they all keep healthy and build form. Very possible.

Just very hard to get a guage on this yet given the types of games played so far - the next 4 weeks though will be telling. Split them and no more injuries and we can build.

Two points-

One is we are playing pretty terrible footy so far, by my count we've played two really good quarters out of the first 5 games which was enough for the win against weak opposition. List is in a better place than it was at the start of the year though, so need to hit our straps from here if were gonna be contending again.

Other is that pre-concussion health issue Simpson was a promising player, and he wasn't a power player like Cockatoo who relied on burst. He has good vision, disposal and quick decision making. Assuming those traits are still there he can best 22 himself with good form. Hope he gets it together this year, he's had a tough road since playing in the grandfinal years ago.

I understand the point you're making. But the idea that there were any positive signs in that Suns match is just completely bizarre to me. Truly one of the worst performances I've ever seen (from what was quite a decent Cats team, given the selected players) in over 40 years of watching the hoops.

In the end, though, your general thrust is correct. Things are never as good as they seem or as bad as they seem. And I believe we will get a far clearer picture of how we're truly going after these next few games, anyway. The past fortnight has really only been 8 points on the ladder and an opportunity to build a little form and fitness, given the 'quality' of the opposition. Let's see how that now translates against some teams who are showing a little bit at this early point in the season.

Jezza with another 3 goals to continue his early season form

Rohan's impact as sub, and that he then bought that 4th quarter intensity to the next week against Hawthorn - even if that saw him on the sidelines suspended for a week

I think what we saw from Rohan against GC & then Henry against Hawthorn, showed what we should be looking for when it comes to the tactical sub - I'm not sure Parfitt is the right option as sub, think he's at his best with the ability to work into games & then continuity week to week, he's not what I'd call a high impact player

Whyte also had a difficult time of things when he was sub, and not really ideal for a debutant to be sitting on the bench for 3 quarters either

Rohan's impact as sub, and that he then bought that 4th quarter intensity to the next week against Hawthorn - even if that was him on the sidelines suspended for a week

I think what we saw from Rohan against GC & then Henry against Hawthorn, showed what we should be looking for when it comes to the tactical sub - I'm not sure Parfitt is the right option as sub, think he's at his best with the ability to work into games & then continuity week to week, he's not what I'd call a high impact player

Whyte also had a difficult time of things when he was sub, and not really ideal for a debutant to be sitting on the bench for 3 quarters either
You're far too level headed for here. I nominate you to join the GFC coaching staff.

Rohan's impact as sub, and that he then bought that 4th quarter intensity to the next week against Hawthorn - even if that saw him on the sidelines suspended for a week

Good post. I thought they were going to get into a rythm of swapping Henry and Rohan in and out of 22 and sub. They are probably the two best at it and I am not sure long term both in same 22 makes sense? Obviously this week though they chose to put both in so the sub will come from elsewhere

If you look at the emergencies I think all are problematic subs or at least not ideal. Maybe depends on who comes into 22 (could be up to two changes) as to who they then use as sun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back