Preview Round 6 - Flag unfurling in GF rematch: Geelong vs Sydney, 22 April, 7:25pm @ HOME (KP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's time to unfurl in our 2022 Premiership Flag, and to do so in front of the team we smashed 211 days ago this Saturday

More preview to come, but until then:

My preview for the Cats v Swans

1681743619056.png

Last time they met/history

1681743633774.png

Geelong vs Sydney a grand final rematch for the first time in AFL history, surprising only in that these two teams have been participants in 11 of the last 18 grand finals and never faced each other. But that doesn’t mean we didn’t have some history against the Bloods. In 2016 when they blocked the inevitable crowning of a new Geelong dynasty by stopping Dangerwood in its tracks in a devastating and unexpected Prelim final thrashing. Then a year later Geelong returned the favor by jumping the swans in a Semi when everyone saw the red-hot Swans as an unstoppable force. Who could forget a wet night in Sydney in 2005 when Nick Davis singlehandedly dragged his team over the line and left Mooney in tears.

However, in our most recent matchup a dominant and unstoppable Geelong obliterated Sydney in the game that matters most running away 81-point victors and lifting the Premiership cup for the first time in 11 years. A famous full stop to the career of Geelong’s greatest ever captain and leader. On that day Geelong could do no wrong and Sydney could do no right, as Sydney offered no fight or challenge before meekly slinking into the offseason. The joy and jubilation that was had at our expense for Buddy’s 1000th was cast side as Sydney and the great man himself proved to be irrelevant in the wake of Geelong’s dominance.

1681743669386.png

The season so far

1681743688592.png

Much has been made of Geelong’s poor start to the year, is it poor preparation, has the cliff finally found us, or has the team lost its way in the absence of a generational leader. I can make no predictions about the future of this season (My tipping can attest to that), but perhaps Geelong can turn the corner. We have surely seen flashes of the brilliance that led us to 16 wins in a row last year, a 5 minute burst here a 10 goal quarter there but not yet have we seen anything even resembling a full match performance. Geelong has dug itself out of awful start and is now only 1 win out of the 8, but this match certainly could prove to be a challenging test.

On the other side Sydney has been an inconsistent force, A strong start against Gold Coast and Hawthorn was undermined by a heavy defeat at the hands of Melbourne and an unexpected loss to a resurgent Port. While they did respond by heavily beating up on Richmond questions still remain of how Sydney will respond to that demoralizing grand final loss and what scars have been inflicted on this young list.

The pre-match

This match holds special significance for both clubs and both will be desperate for a win. Geelong is unfurling its 10th flag, waiting for this moment as if to rub it in the faces of Sydney. They also hoped to unveil a new state if the art stand however those plans have been extinguished by the constant delays.

You would be hard pressed to say Geelong is entering this match firing on all cylinders. Injury and form have created a slow start to the year but encouraging signs have shown several key players are starting to play their way back into form. Hawkins kicking 4 goals against West Coast is certainly a good sign as he has been almost a non-factor for the first 4 rounds of the season. Close also had an encouraging return to form and will look to continue that in this match. Geelong will be without Tyson Stengle and Rhys Stanley for the forceable future, and it will require several players to step up in their absence. Gary Rohan will be the likely inclusion for Stengle, however this raises concerns as this is not a like for like switch and might leave Geelong to tall in the forward line without adequate ground coverage. Perhaps Chris Scott and Geelong might pull a move from left field and throw in Ollie Dempsey and Rohan while relegating Henry to the Sub bench again? As for Stanley well it’s obviously going to be Ceglar and he just sucks, so yeah there’s that.

The Match

This match will start in a cagey fashion with both teams looking to figure each other out early, look for Sydney to give away some silly early frees in some faux tough guy act to get “revenge” for last year’s grand final.

This will be close run all day with multiple lead changes and runs from either team, one will be kicking clear only to be just kept in touch and then run down when momentum swings.

However, spurred on by a parochial crowd and playing at home for the first time this year Geelong will lift in the last 15 minutes to pull away from Sydney, matching them in wins for the year 3-3.

Geelong Wins by 20

Is there any option in the ruck other than Ceglar? Every time I've seen him this year he looks completely cooked. And he only played 3 quarters in the VFL? Has he even played back to back matches yet this season? What a debacle!

Is there any option in the ruck other than Ceglar? Every time I've seen him this year he looks completely cooked. And he only played 3 quarters in the VFL? Has he even played back to back matches yet this season? What a debacle!

Play Blicavs in the ruck all day with Esava choppin him out and don't worry about Ceglar would be my solution.

Not sure how many the Swans get back. They look think on backline stocks.

Franklin sounds 50/50 and Amartey injured on the weekend. Reid already out.

Will be won or lost in the midfield. Get enough ball and I think Geelong can kick a score. Who takes Papley?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Will be won or lost in the midfield. Get enough ball and I think Geelong can kick a score. Who takes Papley?

Max Rooke

Bews or MOC?
Or PARFITT..?

Last edited:
Swans at Geelong have decent records v us.
They'll be wanting some revenge for 22 GF.
Losing 2 weapons will be very difficult.
Stengle has been our point of difference, and Stanley is underrated here- a very 50-50 game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see your ‘who plays on Papley’, and raise you ‘who plays on Cameron and Hawkins’ 😃😃😃

The lizard played key back on the weekend, hope we some of that again Saturday night!

I'm not really sure on why people are so worried about Ceglar playing... Geez his few games last year he played were bloody good! Yes his game against Gold Coast was poor, but Stanley is out for a while, so we just have to get use to it...
I really don't know many teams except Melbourne who there 2nd ruck are Stars. All other 2nd main ruck aren't stars, there all young and have potential or there a ruckman like Ceglar...
Let's support Ceglar and wish him all the best.. I know I'll be supporting Ceglar

Last edited:

Bar the Suns debacle (where every line was rubbish), this has been our problem all year.

That said, I'm hoping we've found a bit of form over the past two weeks with the mids - at least enough to break even and let our forwards do the rest.

Play Blicavs in the ruck all day with Esava choppin him out and don't worry about Ceglar would be my solution.

Not an option as it robs us of too much with blitz elsewhere imo.
Need to go ceglar for the next couple of weeks until neale is fit (then you could consider neale and blitz).
We will need to rookie a mature ruck for depth in the mid season draft if stanley isnt back by then.

Swans at Geelong have decent records v us.
They'll be wanting some revenge for 22 GF.
Losing 2 weapons will be very difficult.
Stengle has been our point of difference, and Stanley is underrated here- a very 50-50 game.
They're a young list so it's not really relevant. Different to the 2014-2018 squad getting consecutive wins in Geelong together. Their last game in Geelong was in 2019 for a loss, back in 2018 they won but both teams are quite different from back then.

Just as likely to leave a mental scar as it is to cause a revenge win.

Their injuries are more concerning than ours. Practically no first choice key defenders or forwards or ruckmen.

Their ruckman is Ladhams and Stengle has been our least in-form forward this season, while O.Henry is showing good signs and will get further opportunity.

Home team would be favourites in either case, and that is us this week so we will wear the favourite tag and if we lose so be it.

I'm not really sure on why people are so worried about Ceglar playing... Geez his few games last year he played were bloody good! Yes his game against Gold Coast was poor, but Stanley is out for a while, so we just have to get use to it...
I really don't know many teams except Melbourne who there 2nd ruck are Stars. All other 2nd main ruck aren't stars, there all young and have potential or there a ruckman like Ceglar...
Let's support Ceglar and wish him all the best.. I know I'll be supporting Ceglar

He was ok last year and average against Gold Coast in my eyes. Not great but definitely not the worst backup ruck.

The biggest issue for me is that he looks physically cooked this year. He's currently being rested every second week and then only playing limited game time. He and Witts could barely move late in the GC game. Can he really go from that to playing 5-6 consecutive games?

I think we need another solution for at least part of this period and play Ceglar where he can have an impact.

He was ok last year and average against Gold Coast in my eyes. Not great but definitely not the worst backup ruck.

The biggest issue for me is that he looks physically cooked this year. He's currently being rested every second week and then only playing limited game time. He and Witts could barely move late in the GC game. Can he really go from that to playing 5-6 consecutive games?

I think we need another solution for at least part of this period and play Ceglar where he can have an impact.
I'm not sure how he looks cooked after 4 or 5 games.. him getting rested could be a plan from Geelong so he doesn't over run himself..
Can he go 5 -6 games 🤷 let's hope so, if not we will see Esava playing in the ruck instead of defence, maybe we might be in similar position to Collingwood in playing Frampton/Esava in ruck if Ceglar gets injured...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back