Preview Round 24: Cats vs Dogs, Sat 26th August @ 7:25pm KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still struggling to accept the fact we managed to * the year up so badly to not make the 8... There needs to be a swift response and a lot of folks shown the door - we are not in a full rebuild and our list should be making the 8 - injuries not a good enough excuse we failed in way too many places across the club. Disgraceful.

There were periods this year where WCE was the only team with more experience on the sidelines injured than we had injured in the sidelines and look at how they went this season

Injuries aren't the only reason we didn't make finals, but they are a contributing factor to how our season played out - across the season we lacked continuity from one week to the next with forced changes most weeks, due to suspension, injury, management or getting a best 22 player back from injury. And our injuries weren't just impacting our best 22 but also those guys 23 -> 30 on the list who'd be next in line but instead were also unavailable

One had needs to look at our VFL team at various stages of the season & the lack of senior players there to see the impact injuries on fielding teams:
  • Round 8, 7 currently listed AFL players including 4 rookies with the 1/4 from Whyte against Carlton the extent of senior experience amongst them all
  • Round 10, now it's 6 currently listed AFL players with Dempsey the most experienced of them

We had a lack of continuity at senior level, where it was at times a revolving door with a player returning from injury replacing the guy going out with injury, then the lack of continuity at VFL level and players not necessarily having the opportunity to build form

Nearly everything went right last year, and this year it was a case of s**t happens & not our year - no doubt there'll be a season review (like every year), but that doesn't mean throwing everything out & starting from scratch. Better off looking at what worked, what didn't and what tweaks can be made

In that case I expect another directive. If we beat the Dogs, it would just be the goal umpiring howler keeping us out of the finals. The AFL will want that horrendous error forgotten ASAP; therefore they won't want it to be the difference between anyone making or missing the finals; therefore they'll want us to lose. The dogs are already the umpires' darlings and we are very much not, so another skewy free kick count won't look at all out of the ordinary. Wait for the ump appointments to come out later next week- if we cop the likes of Williamson or Nicholls again we'll know the fix is in.

Yup.

Called it.

Not real happy about some of the talk on here about wanting to finish as low as possible for draft picks.
Pride in the jumper, for even just one game, counts for far far more.
My take, with the changes we are most likely going to lose, which I (unlike other loses) will just shrug off and look forward to the draft.

If we win, and end the Bulldogs season (and possibly Beveridge's tenure), then I will be mildly happy, and just hope Wells and Mackie can work some of their magic.

Not real happy about some of the talk on here about wanting to finish as low as possible for draft picks.
Pride in the jumper, for even just one game, counts for far far more.
It’s a win/ win situation…a loss isn’t going to mean a lot for anyone and we get to see the kids play which is exciting for next year

If we win we can laugh at the dogs with all of our outs in this game, they are expected to win when you look at the outs for this game .

It’s a win/ win situation…a loss isn’t going to mean a lot for anyone and we get to see the kids play which is exciting for next year

If we win we can laugh at the dogs with all of our outs in this game, they are expected to win when you look at the outs for this game .
I agree... lose and we have a better draft pick, win and the next-gen have played well enough to end the Dog's season (would be a huge lol for them).

Surely it would be one of the biggest pooping of the bed efforts by a club (the Dogs that is) if they only had to win one of their last two games v West Coast at Marvel and Geelong with nothing really to play for with half a VFL side named and they lose both... Bevo surely wouldn't last if that happened.

So happy for Ted. I was disappointed when I thought they pre announced 2E as sub as I was very hopeful of having two debuts. Ted no doubt earned this reward.

I have just got out of work meeting so I haven’t checked whether there is an out and 2E in 22 or whether the sub thing yesterday was wrong

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So happy for Ted. I was disappointed when I thought they pre announced 2E as sub as I was very hopeful of having two debuts. Ted no doubt earned this reward.

I have just got out of work meeting so I haven’t checked whether there is an out and 2E in 22 or whether the sub thing yesterday was wrong
Leaning towards this being the case, which would all but confirm 2E has signed an extension.

I agree with this except the insurance ruck bit. Geelong already know they need ruck insurance.
I should re-word that. Ceglar out means we need another ruck. The question is, do they get another Ceglar who maybe plays 1-5 games when Conway or Stanley aren't available next season, or someone that plays anywhere between 5-15 games because Stanley is older and Conway is young and gets injured.
Because theres a big difference between those two types of players. We don't want the situation this year where end of the season we had no Stanley, no Conway and no Ceglar so had to use Neale and SDK in the ruck.

Under 30 and durable/athletic are my only requests.

I'm still struggling to accept the fact we managed to * the year up so badly to not make the 8... There needs to be a swift response and a lot of folks shown the door - we are not in a full rebuild and our list should be making the 8 - injuries not a good enough excuse we failed in way too many places across the club. Disgraceful.
This has been one of the weakest seasons I can remember, there is not one or two dominant teams heading into finals. So my disappointment comes from the fact going back to back is rare and this was a great chance to do it.

Whatever happened with our strength, conditioning and injury management has to be very seriously looked at because it got as bad as West Coast at multiple points during the year and they are a basket case and cleaning out their club as a result. We don't need to go that far, but something was seriously wrong.

I’m going to guess
Stanley late out
2E in

2E retired

maybe they mean small as in overall size? he is very light, height wise I wouldn't be worried... I don't doubt he will fill out over time though, probably never going to be the brick s**t house his old man is but much like baby Guth and Sammy Simpson, give him time and he will pack some meat on those bones...
And when he does there will be a fine player there, can run and run and run and just has those smarts and "it" IMO
if he can pack it on Caleb Daniel style and solidify his frame.... menaing get about 10kgs more solid.... he will be very good.
Jet speed.... good footy nous and skills. Think he averaged about 13 touches in the VFL this year. For a kid in yr 1 as slight as he is.. i'll take that every day of the week.

And im more than happy to give him 2 more years to get there.

Same for Clohesy actually

GO Catters

totally agree. Whoever put SDK's face, Jezza shoulder, Guthries toe, Close's elbow.... and all those injuries in the plan needs to be get fired.

And whatever plan had Stengle, Zuthrie, Stewart, Kolo, and Blitzs form dropping off... get rid of them too. Heads must roll

FFS

GO Catters

I was preoccupied at team announcement time last night - the final push on a 10hr drive, so by the time I got to look at things sometime after 9 the only mention of Tuohy as sub was on here, I didn't see it mentioned via the club's team announcement

We now know Ted will be sub, but this is still up on the team announcement from last night:

*Zach Tuohy, Mitch Hardie, Sam Simpson, and Ted Clohesy round out the Emergencies.

The Cats will name their sub one hour before the 7.25 pm bounce.*

So I'm not sure if someone else went 2 + 2 = 5 and Tuohy will be sub, there was some miscommunication or what

totally agree. Whoever put SDK's face, Jezza shoulder, Guthries toe, Close's elbow.... and all those injuries in the plan needs to be get fired.

And whatever plan had Stengle, Zuthrie, Stewart, Kolo, and Blitzs form dropping off... get rid of them too. Heads must roll

FFS

GO Catters

That was Ratugolea... Maybe that was his attempt to keep a spot open in the 22 with J. Henry returning shortly after that incident 😉

And yes I'm joking for those who can't tell

I was preoccupied at team announcement time last night - the final push on a 10hr drive, so by the time I got to look at things sometime after 9 the only mention of Tuohy as sub was on here, I didn't see it mentioned via the club's team announcement

We now know Ted will be sub, but this is still up on the team announcement from last night:

*Zach Tuohy, Mitch Hardie, Sam Simpson, and Ted Clohesy round out the Emergencies.

The Cats will name their sub one hour before the 7.25 pm bounce.*

So I'm not sure if someone else went 2 + 2 = 5 and Tuohy will be sub, there was some miscommunication or what
So it started with a post yesterday that had a screenshot that looks like from AFL website.

IMG_3313.jpeg

I just went and looked - It is still on the AFL under teams news. Lists 2E (sub). Which he wasn’t last week so we all assumed he was going to be sub this week. Just an error it seems?

IMG_3312.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back