Opinion Ken Hinkley Envy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would accept it, through gritted teeth, as the price to be paid for avoiding a Hawthorn three-peat.

Feels like I'm chewing glass to admit I agree with you. Much as I hate Lyon and the bland crap he dishes up as 'footy', I'd prefer Freo won it over the Hawks this year just so I don't have to listen to their arrogance.

As long as Lyon never wins it again and the 2015 flag quickly fades into obscurity.......

Feels like I'm chewing glass to admit I agree with you. Much as I hate Lyon and the balnd crap he dishes up as 'footy', I'd prefer Freo won it over the Hawks this year just so I don't have to listen to their arrogance.

As long as Lyon never wins it again and the 2015 flag quickly fades into obscurity.......
Don't chew glass, hope the Swans win it and problem solved.

Well, you have to at least give him credit for pretty much owning Scott and Geelong when he went to Fremantle. I have always believed he is a masterful coach that sees the game like very few in the coaching business at the moment. The teams he has taken to grand finals, to be pipped by some of the finest teams of this era (Geelong, Hawthorn), he just knows how to coach full stop.

If he had our list to play around with, I think we may be seeing a completely different beast to the one we are witnessing under this current administration.
Maybe different, but certainly not more successful.
Our list is < Freo's.
CS is developing an exciting team- Gregson, Blicavs, Stanley, Clark, Thurlow, Bews, Murdoch, Guthrie to complement Hawkins, Selwood & Taylor.
But the engine room, and delivery to our gun fwd line is constantly under pressure, and nowhere the strength of Freo's.
I really rate Lyon as a coach too, but CS too-he is likely to be appreciated by many, more after he leaves, it would appear.

Maybe different, but certainly not more successful.
Our list is < Freo's.
CS is developing an exciting team- Gregson, Blicavs, Stanley, Clark, Thurlow, Bews, Murdoch, Guthrie to complement Hawkins, Selwood & Taylor.
But the engine room, and delivery to our gun fwd line is constantly under pressure, and nowhere the strength of Freo's.
I really rate Lyon as a coach too, but CS too-he is likely to be appreciated by many, more after he leaves, it would appear.
Agree with most of that Vdubs. Not sure CS will ever be appreciated by the naysayers though.

but CS too-he is likely to be appreciated by many, more after he leaves, it would appear.

Probably. While I am not a hater, nor a fan of Chris Scott, he has left me feeling very unsure as to whether or not he's the man to take us places once he has a completely new list to work with. Just don't like his game style at all. I'm happy to give him a couple of years though, in that time, we should see what he has to offer, as he will have his own list in which he constructed when he took over in 2011. If we can sneak into the finals again this year, that would be an almighty effort given the injuries, fixture and inexperience of the current team.

Probably. While I am not a hater, nor a fan of Chris Scott, he has left me feeling very unsure as to whether or not he's the man to take us places once he has a completely new list to work with. Just don't like his game style at all. I'm happy to give him a couple of years though, in that time, we should really see what he has to offer as he will have a list in which he has fully constructed when he took over in 2011. If we can sneak into the finals again this year, that would be an almighty effort given the injures, fixture and inexperience of the this current team.
TBH, I do not know what his game plan or style actually is. I think it's really difficult for him with the premiership players one by one fading and leaving, and the middle tier not quite coming on, and the emerging new brigade. I think he won't really know either until that process is well under way.

that is the whole process of coaching though. It is his job to already have replacements ready instead of relying on 30, 31, 32 year old's year in and year out. Same issue applies with that 2nd tier of players you speak about. It is his job to ensure they develop and continue buying into his philosophies/ideas for what he envisions for the future.

Feels like I'm chewing glass to admit I agree with you. Much as I hate Lyon and the bland crap he dishes up as 'footy', I'd prefer Freo won it over the Hawks this year just so I don't have to listen to their arrogance.

Or notoriety cough *Crowley's not the only one* cough

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting that alot of Geelong supporters thought the "home ground advantage" should have benefited and been a significant advantage for Geelong to get the win over Fremantle in that qualifying final a few seasons back

Heard Phil Walsh on the radio tonight - Adelaide play Fremantle at AO this weekend - Walsh ( who has spent time at Geelong WCE and Adelaide ) said there are 3 long and narrow grounds in the AFL - Adelaide Oval Subiaco and Kardinia - he then said - those type of grounds - suit a press team like Fremantle ! - thats what i allways thought - the Geelong ground is the worse ground to play Freo at

Interesting that alot of Geelong supporters thought the "home ground advantage" should have benefited and been a significant advantage for Geelong to get the win over Fremantle in that qualifying final a few seasons back

Heard Phil Walsh on the radio tonight - Adelaide play Fremantle at AO this weekend - Walsh ( who has spent time at Geelong WCE and Adelaide ) said there are 3 long and narrow grounds in the AFL - Adelaide Oval Subiaco and Kardinia - he then said - those type of grounds - suit a press team like Fremantle ! - thats what i allways thought - the Geelong ground is the worse ground to play Freo at

Yep. I would have much rather have played that '13 QF at the MCG. Unfortunately, our home ground worked against us on that occasion. On such a narrow ground the were able to suffocate the life out of us. They got numbers back in our F50 very quickly and it made it very tough for us to score.

Agree with most of that Vdubs. Not sure CS will ever be appreciated by the naysayers though.

Depends how black and white your view is. For footy fans - most of us - I would say 'very'.

In truth, he should be already appreciated; we don't have many premiership coaches and he did it in his first year. No shortage of well deserved credit there as far as I can see. The side has remained towards the right end of the ladder for four successive years, that's very good as well. Neither are due to luck or the gods or anything else. The competition is too tough to just brush that off.

I've definitely got some queries with him, but that doesn't immediately (and idiotically) translate into being bad at everything. On the contrary, I'd say for most aspects of the job he's very good.

Scott is also still quite a young coach in the overall scheme of things and is probably still learning/improving as he goes. I think his game day coaching needed to improve and while it can be difficult to keep a grasp on what moves he is making during a game, he seems to have improved as we have gone on this year, in line with our performances.

hqdefault.jpg

"Kenny......Kenny......Kenny"

At least he is evolving and prepared to change his ways. I would enjoy a Freo flag this year.
I just had a thought- if Freo win this year's flag, they're likely to keep Lyon on, aren't they? And how will he cope with a group of players who've never been given a chance, while his veterans all retire? Hmmm. I think that would be very delicious to watch him stick around for a change :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back