Kindle?

Remove this Banner Ad

Via USB. You can also buy - but I wouldn't bother - a charger that connects straight from the power point to the kindle.

If you have an iPhone or something similar, you can use the charger from that and just plug the Amazon USB in to that if you are after something to charge it other than a computer.

Love it, got one a couple of weeks ago for my birthday probably the easiest way to read for me personally and just so much easier to find books.
Have read more in the last 2 weeks then the previous 2 years before I got it.

Went and had a look at the Kindle Touch at Dick Smith. Very nice indeed. For anyone that hasn't had a hands-on, go to Dick Smith and have a look for yourself.

http://dicksmith.com.au/offer/kindle

I wouldn't buy a kindle from Dick Smith or any Woolworths' owned store, as they will (try to) refuse to take back the kindle if it breaks.

My wife gave me a kindle for my birthday - two weeks later, it broke (the e-ink froze the lower half of the screen) and we went back to Big W (where my wife had purchased it). They refused to take it back, telling us we needed to go back to Amazon. After pointing out to them that what they are attempting to pull is against the Australian Consumer Law, they begrudgingly gave my wife a full refund.

These bricks and mortar stores are great for going in and trying a product, but Amazon sell a kindle cheaper online than you can buy in-store, so why line the pockets of Woolworths, Gerry Harvey and their ilk?

Now that I have my replacement kindle, it's a great product - I don't go anywhere without it. It fits nicely in my suit pocket and there are plenty of free e-books that I can read. There are many classic novels out of copyright that can be downloaded onto the kindle free of charge (see the Gutenberg Project website and its Australian equivalent as a starting point).

There is also a number of websites dedicated to tracking price falls on e-books sold through Amazon. The one that springs immediately to mind is www.ereaderiq.com. I'm pretty sure you can import your Amazon Wishlist to your profile on this site and it will alert you if the price drops past a pre-set point.

I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon eventually end up giving away Kindles either for free or for cost price, given that they can encourage people to buy e-books through the Amazon website.

Their biggest competitor will be the iPad. If Apple bring out an iPad-lite that is the same dimensions as the kindle, then Amazon will have to watch out. Amazon has tried to get a jump on Apple with the Kindle Fire, which apparently is very good.

What are the major differences, pros and cons, between buying a kindle from Amazon.com and buying it from Dick Smith/ Big W?

It was cheaper to buy the replacement kindle from Amazon than from buying it from Big W. By reputation, Amazon have a very good replacement policy, provided it is under Amazon's warranty. As Amazon is located outside the jurisdiction, I doubt that they would pay any attention to the Australian Consumer Law, but they sell their kindles with a 12-month warranty.

Why are people paying for their e-books when you can download them for free so easily?

Because the main excuse for people stealing media (movies, tv etc) is that there is a lack of easy to use and decently priced options or lack of options at all in Australia.
that's not the case with ebooks with Amazon being possibly the easiest site to use and books being complete on your selected device within seconds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont have an actual Kindle, but have the Kindle app on my iPad. It is awesome. The only way I buy books now. My wife is happy as I dont have to buy more book shelves!

I had a Kindle bought for me for my birthday earlier in the year, only to discover that the Kindle app on the iPad is much better. Wouldn't read it all the time, but just finished a fantastic book on it and it's more than comfortable. Especially for travelling on the train and so on.

Because the main excuse for people stealing media (movies, tv etc) is that there is a lack of easy to use and decently priced options or lack of options at all in Australia.
that's not the case with ebooks with Amazon being possibly the easiest site to use and books being complete on your selected device within seconds.
I used to think this but Amazon have changed their pricing, almost a switch and bait move with e-books now costing close to the same as hard copy books. No justification for it as authors aren't getting more.

I had a Kindle bought for me for my birthday earlier in the year, only to discover that the Kindle app on the iPad is much better. Wouldn't read it all the time, but just finished a fantastic book on it and it's more than comfortable. Especially for travelling on the train and so on.
I've read books on both, kindle much easier for putting in pocket for me. Also when travelling properly battery life is awesome on kindle

Getting my paperwhite from Dick Smith on Tuesday, decided after my normal kindle which was stolen, I would wait until I could get the paperwhite.
Still loved the normal one though:hearts:

Getting my paperwhite from Dick Smith on Tuesday, decided after my normal kindle which was stolen, I would wait until I could get the paperwhite.
Still loved the normal one though:hearts:
I actually ended up going the same path after browsing Dick Smith during the week so, I cancelled the amazon order. I did however order a leather cover for my paperwhite through Amazon.

Yeah I ordered one of the smart leather cases of eBay that automatically goes to sleep mode when you close it and turns on when you open for $20.
Looking forward to getting it on Tuesday :)
Was all luck though, had no idea it was coming out here in 3 days, was gong to just get a original one but saw it was out in 3 days, win.

Went to pick it up this morning from Dick Smiths, only to be told they've had a delay in shipment:mad:
The website now says to preorder for the 15th. I'm getting mine mailed out and just received the invoice to say it was ready for dispatch. I should receive it tomorrow as the email said that they will send a tracking link tonight.

I've been told it's packed and awaiting collection. Still confident that I will receive it tomorrow but, won't be surprised if it doesn't happen until Monday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back