Past Kurt Tippett - retired 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still rate Tippett but I think he's overpaid. If there's one thing that's fact in football it's that ruckman are the most inconsistent players in the game. They aren't like other key position players who you know will deliver results week in week out every season. I can't think of any ruckman besides Dean Cox who performed at the same standard every year across a long period of time. Even Sandilands couldn't.

We're seeing this problem with Tippett and Sinclair IMO. You can't live without rucks but geez they can be a pain in the arse to live with in your cap

Same article:

"Going back across years, let’s compare recent ruck-forward seasons to Tippett’s 2015. For the next table I’ve raised the goalscoring bar to 0.8, and limited us to players who have completed at least half of the season. I’ve also adjusted to 2015 level outputs. This accounts for the greater number of hitouts and less goals per game in 2015 compared to previous years (in 2012 there were 108% of this year’s goals per game and 90% of the hitouts):
This is the same graph but including 2012-2014."

tumblr_inline_nrsj8k9nBP1t1q47q_540.png

hows tippett sit now?

I still rate Tippett but I think he's overpaid. If there's one thing that's fact in football it's that ruckman are the most inconsistent players in the game. They aren't like other key position players who you know will deliver results week in week out every season. I can't think of any ruckman besides Dean Cox who performed at the same standard every year across a long period of time. Even Sandilands couldn't.

We're seeing this problem with Tippett and Sinclair IMO. You can't live without rucks but geez they can be a pain in the arse to live with in your cap

Jason Ball worth his weight in Gold.

People are always too quick to criticise rucks for their leading patterns. The problem with rucks is that they are slow not that they cant lead. Hence a long kick looking for them on the lead is always spoiled by the faster and more agile defender. Rucks should only be leading over a five metre zone and should be marking the 30 metre kick or the 45 metre bullet. The trouble is apart from rampe and buddy we have not a single player (apart from maybe the very maligned towers) who can hit a 45 metre bullet. And we arent actually that good apart from maybe jack at kicking the ball deftly to a forward on the lead.

The result is that tippett is often forced into trying to mark it from a basketball jump (where the arm cop free should usually be given) because we are kicking from a contest to a contest.

Jason Ball worth his weight in Gold.

Its funny - that seems to me to be very much the view from 2005. but I remember watching him at princes park circa 2000 where steven silvagni just destroyed him every single time he tried to lead and he was pretty banged up for at least a couple of seasons. He was supposed to be a full forward for us as well when he arrived but evolved into a ruckman because he couldnt quite hold down a full forward position either - just too slow on the lead

and my recollection was that west coast people thought he was a dud for the same sorts of reasons as we think tippett is overpaid and underperforming.

Its funny - that seems to me to be very much the view from 2005. but I remember watching him at princes park circa 2000 where steven silvagni just destroyed him every single time he tried to lead and he was pretty banged up for at least a couple of seasons. He was supposed to be a full forward for us as well when he arrived but evolved into a ruckman because he couldnt quite hold down a full forward position either - just too slow on the lead

and my recollection was that west coast people thought he was a dud for the same sorts of reasons as we think tippett is overpaid and underperforming.

Mate I actually like your posts and respect you astute footy views but if I am reading between the lines here you are making a case for Kurt and good on you but to be honest I am over talking about him. Imo he is over payed, underperformed and has been deplorable in 2 GF'S and lacks the intensity & urgency to ever have an impact to contribute to the club once again saluting. Ball was not over payed, was serviceable and did have an impact in winning the premiership in 2005. People can defend him all they like but if they think he has delivered on what he is capable of and what his salary says he is capable of they are sadly mistaken.

Mate I actually like your posts and respect you astute footy views but if I am reading between the lines here you are making a case for Kurt and good on you but to be honest I am over talking about him. Imo he is over payed, underperformed and has been deplorable in 2 GF'S and lacks the intensity & urgency to ever have an impact to contribute to the club once again saluting. Ball was not over payed, was serviceable and did have an impact in winning the premiership in 2005. People can defend him all they like but if they think he has delivered on what he is capable of and what his salary says he is capable of they are sadly mistaken.
In my heart of hearts I have to actually agree with this. Buddy has been worth every cent even if it's putting pressure on the cap. Kurt has been great at times but not consistently and certainly not for the money we pay him.

We won in 2012 without a KPF so we chuck big dollars at Kurt to get him in to set ourselves up for a shot at the flag over the following years. Then out of the blue Buddy drops into our laps and we have to pay a big chunk of our cap to two players.

It's all sliding doors stuff though I guess. We made it to two grand finals but stuffed it. If we'd won both we wouldn't be having this conversation and we'd be talked about like Geelong and Hawthorn as the best club of this era. It wasn't to be though.

I've been telling everyone that Tippo won't be on as much as everyone out there thinks in season 2017 & beyond. He is a much wanted player who was 3rd in the the Bob Skilton Medal count up until he tore his hamstring badly. Listen to Tom Harley talking about Tippo on this feed.
The Tippo part is at about 4.30.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-13/hes-our-absolute-priority-swans-open-heeney-contract-talks.

Harley is good!
Real good!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back