Kurt's Kicking Konundrum

Remove this Banner Ad

Think this is grossly overdone. Kurt is always going to have problems with his kicking. The main factor is that he's over 200cm to start with. Ball has a lot further to fall before it hits the boot hence more chance of something happening to it.
Not sure why people are so concerned. The guy clearly kicks more goals than points you only have to look at his career stats... 149 goals and 104 behinds as at the end of last year. He kicks at a 58% shot accuracy rate only 2% behind Warren Tredrea and exactley the same rate as Lance Franklin who also kicks at 58%.(451 goals, 321 behinds)
For a guy who is not our number 1 target and also plays a lot of ruck it shouldn't be a big issue.
Some people may say it kills us that he doesn't kick the ones 30m straight out in front. I put this to you. He also kicks the ones a normal player wouldn't get aka 2 from yesterday. He also kicks the crunch time goals...... 2009 semi against the pies.
People need to lay off and let the kid play ball. He's only ever going to be a 58% shot for goal.

Bit rough on Buddy as most of his shots are from around 50 on big angles, where as a lot of Tippett's shots are 10-30m closer, on better angles.

Think this is grossly overdone. Kurt is always going to have problems with his kicking. The main factor is that he's over 200cm to start with. Ball has a lot further to fall before it hits the boot hence more chance of something happening to it.
Not sure why people are so concerned. The guy clearly kicks more goals than points you only have to look at his career stats... 149 goals and 104 behinds as at the end of last year. He kicks at a 58% shot accuracy rate only 2% behind Warren Tredrea and exactley the same rate as Lance Franklin who also kicks at 58%.(451 goals, 321 behinds)
For a guy who is not our number 1 target and also plays a lot of ruck it shouldn't be a big issue.
Some people may say it kills us that he doesn't kick the ones 30m straight out in front. I put this to you. He also kicks the ones a normal player wouldn't get aka 2 from yesterday. He also kicks the crunch time goals...... 2009 semi against the pies.
People need to lay off and let the kid play ball. He's only ever going to be a 58% shot for goal.

I think the issue is not necessarily his overall accuracy but the ones he misses tend to be 15m out directly in front. Those should be bread and butter for any AFL player let alone the guy who is one of your KPF's. 50m out or on a ridiculous angle for a snap and he puts them through more often than not, but he misses the ones he should kick and those drain the confidence out of the rest of the team. He shpuld be putting through the gimme goals. He is 200+cm and a massive contested mark and he would be so much more of a weapon if he consistently converted the easy set shots. But you just know that after he's taken a massive contested mark 10m out with 3 defenders hanging off him, that he's more than likely to kick a point.

Caller on 5AA today basically saying the same as I have, said Tippet needs to be taught to guide the ball down onto his kicking boot in a straight line with his right hand, not drop it as high as he does. Its really not rocket science, and could make a very big difference to our ability to totally dominate sides, or just to beat them. I agree with the summation that Tippet's kicking has a far bigger influence on team psyche than some on here think, if he starts missing gimmes, it can put doubt in our players' minds, and we all know where that can lead.

He is pretty tall you guys. Makes it harder to drop it closer to your foot. He has been good all preseason. I think he'll bounce back this week.

Bit rough on Buddy as most of his shots are from around 50 on big angles, where as a lot of Tippett's shots are 10-30m closer, on better angles.

Those are the ones he generally kicks. Also his own fault or the teams fault as thats where he leads or is lead to. I saw him miss 2 last friday night 40-50m dead in front.
As much as kurt's ball drop is a problem for him, Buddy's arc is also becoming a problem for him at times.

Basically what I was saying is thats its being over done a bit

I think the issue is not necessarily his overall accuracy but the ones he misses tend to be 15m out directly in front. Those should be bread and butter for any AFL player let alone the guy who is one of your KPF's. 50m out or on a ridiculous angle for a snap and he puts them through more often than not, but he misses the ones he should kick and those drain the confidence out of the rest of the team. He shpuld be putting through the gimme goals. He is 200+cm and a massive contested mark and he would be so much more of a weapon if he consistently converted the easy set shots. But you just know that after he's taken a massive contested mark 10m out with 3 defenders hanging off him, that he's more than likely to kick a point.

I think if it was a simple as that it would have been fixed. Kurt is not alone here. Plenty of AFL players miss those 30m straight in front kicks on a regular basis.

Personally I think one of the biggest issues players have is that they don't actually practice their set shots from anywhere closer than 30-35m out, especially with very little angle. Everyone assumes "hey, that's easy", and goes either further out, or at an extreme angle. So when it comes to game time, kicking for goal with these shots actually seems kind of foreign.

One of the best things I did when I had the yips, was I started practicing these easy shots, which was ultimately where 90% of my shots came from. Result ended up being I scored 11 goals straight from set shots that season.

As much as technique can be an issue, I remember Leigh Matthews saying once, and I think he was spot on, that no matter your technique, you should be able to slot any goal from 10-30m out, directly in front and yet these are the ones so many afl players have trouble with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He can f*** off to Gold Coast if he's going to do that for the rest of his career

I'm not suggesting it's a new thing. We already knew that he was a poor set shot.

I'm just wondering why we are persisting with his awful routine and not getting him to just snap them, or something a bit more natural for him.

Yeah cos we only just found out today that Kurt can't kick to save himself.

You blokes are hilarious.

Yeah, this.

LOL @ the "Well, he kicked bad today ... but next week he's going to pull it together!" How do people come up with this sort of rubbish? :eek:

What is with the unfounded optimism of him suddenly becoming consistent? I swear some people have minds like a sieve.

Basing an opinion on one week is going to see egg on your face more often than not.

Yeah, this.

LOL @ the "Well, he kicked bad today ... but next week he's going to pull it together!" How do people come up with this sort of rubbish? :eek:

What is with the unfounded optimism of him suddenly becoming consistent? I swear some people have minds like a sieve.

Basing an opinion on one week is going to see egg on your face more often than not.
All of this.

Something's just got to change. We need our forward line to be more reliable. Tippett needs to go when it's his turn, not wreck shot after easy bloody shot.

He's going to cost us more games then he wins.
To his credit though he's always in the contest unlike the Ghost who walks (Walker).

Slow motion of Kurt's kicking showed his ball drop is not good. Surely we have a kicking coach who can fix this

Tippett has been a s**t kick for 5 or so years now. It wont be fixed. Thats why he needs to play on the 50m and further out. He has more accuracy from 50m out.

OR he needs to take shots on goal like Steve Johnson and go the snap where the ball drop doesnt matter as much because you are kicking it on an angle anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back