Kyabram DFL discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Would they be allowed to have Paid Players if they are just a Reserves side? and if not which you'd think would be the case would they even fill a Reserves side?
It’s up to the clubs it has to be voted in.
Most of the so called senior players from last season have moved on. Will be scraping the barrel to get a seconds team. There philosophy is if they get through next year with a seconds team they have a year to find a senior coach.

Different crew there these days from the ones he used to butt heads with (literally) I guess. He’s grown up a bit these days the little fella. Was enjoyable to play with. Would have been a pain in the ass to play against 😂
With the prices of diesel currently it's fair enough too, will save a few $$ without the commute to and from Avenel a couple times a week now.

How many clubs believe they will field an U/14 side?

Hard to tell at this early stage. Last year we had eight U18 and eight U13 teams in our competition.

The clubs that had U13s last year included Dookie United, Longwood, Merrigum, Murch-Toolamba, Rushworth, Shepp East, Undera and Violet Town.
  • Avenel and Nagambie have both advertised on social media for Under 14s, it will depend on what they elect to do with their Tabilk arrangement.
  • Tallygaroopna joined with Congupna to form the 'Roadrunners' in 2022.
  • As you know, Lancaster, Girgarre and Stanhope have their juniors in the Kyabram/St Augustine's set up.
Interesting that the Bendigo region has suggested a system similar to the Geelong area where essentially junior leagues progress up to Under 18s. The proposal over Bendigo way is that all Bendigo FL, Heathcote FL and Loddon Valley FL U18 teams are pooled together into one tiered competition. This creates a system where you may or may not have a junior game at your club on Saturday morning, which I feel causes a disconnect between the juniors and the seniors. I fear if that were to happen over here, the KDL could become a Senior and Reserve only competition.

What about...
Tabilk continue as an entity, pool their Under 12 and Under 14 players together, Tabilk Blue and Tabilk White one follows Nagambie fixture and the other follows Avenel. They train together and continue the work that they've done over many years.

The 'Kyabram Cluster' seeks to field two Under 14 teams in the Goulburn Murray Junior League playing on Sunday - as Kyabram and St Augustines. Depending on numbers, they look to field perhaps two more Under 14s teams in the Kyabram District League on a Saturday - with one aligning with the Girgarre and/or Stanhope fixture and the other aligning with Lancaster and/or Merrigum fixture (Merrigum had very limited players in 2022).

I really like the 'Roadrunners' concept that Congupna and Tallygaroopna have created, they aren't yet at a stage where they'd be able to run a Fourths team in both the Murray and Kyabram Leagues.

Perhaps we're pushing against the flow. If the Under 14 comp isn't viable, it could be time to concede and send our team into the junior competition.

Last edited:
Thinking about the Rushworth situation would a model along these lines be productive and help them get through the Season as a Senior side?.

If it was given approval by AFLVIC under special consideration. They get to have 5 Players on permit each match that they can source from other District League Clubs or Major League reserves teams from around the state who are having a Bye that weekend.
They can pay them within the salary cap to help attract them. I think they would find guys to help out especially with the novelty of getting a bit of money, helping a Club out and meeting some new people for a weekend.
On top of that if they could go and recruit a few players in the run to the Season and surely there are still a couple of players at the Club that are senior standard then you would have a side that would be semi competitive and not copping 30-35 goal beltings and a chance to Win a couple. It would be better for League and the Clubs they play against to still have a senior match and Rushworth get through the Season and have a chance to reset at Seasons end if they can a few things in place including a Coach early for the year after.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thinking about the Rushworth situation would a model along these lines be productive and help them get through the Season as a Senior side?.

If it was given approval by AFLVIC under special consideration. They get to have 5 Players on permit each match that they can source from other District League Clubs or Major League reserves teams from around the state who are having a Bye that weekend.
They can pay them within the salary cap to help attract them. I think they would find guys to help out especially with the novelty of getting a bit of money, helping a Club out and meeting some new people for a weekend.
On top of that if they could go and recruit a few players in the run to the Season and surely there are still a couple of players at the Club that are senior standard then you would have a side that would be semi competitive and not copping 30-35 goal beltings and a chance to Win a couple. It would be better for League and the Clubs they play against to still have a senior match and Rushworth get through the Season and have a chance to reset at Seasons end if they can a few things in place including a Coach early for the year after.
How many clubs would allow players (as you suggest for Rushy to remain in the senior comp, would need to be of senior standard) to do this?? Not many I would think. Hard enough to get players without then lending them to a team for a one off with the chance of injury.

Then there's the extra work required by the coaches and committee at Rushy to try and find 5 players every week, and then once they do, negotiate remuneration.

Then on top of all that getting AFLVIC to say yes to it in the first place.

Good in theory.....

Am hearing back to top 6, that would have been nice this year 😂
I guess I can have a crack at these now!

1. Lancaster
2. Murch-Tool
3. Nagambie
4. Avenel
5. Shepp East
6. Stanhope
7. Dookie
8. Tally
9. Undera
10. Girgarre
11. Merrigum
12. Longwood
13. VT
14. Rushy
Would a top 6 helped with finals goal kicking accuracy Ultra ? 🤔😁

How many clubs would allow players (as you suggest for Rushy to remain in the senior comp, would need to be of senior standard) to do this?? Not many I would think. Hard enough to get players without then lending them to a team for a one off with the chance of injury.

Then there's the extra work required by the coaches and committee at Rushy to try and find 5 players every week, and then once they do, negotiate remuneration.

Then on top of all that getting AFLVIC to say yes to it in the first place.

Good in theory.....
Seems to be a it's too hard mentality. Even the strong clubs have to work there backsides off in the recruiting stakes.

Yeah but they finish their recruiting by the start of the year. In your scenario Rushy would be recruiting nearly every week.
No different to chasing numbers up on a week to week basis like I'm guessing they would have been doing in recent years to fill teams anyway.

I was never a fan of the prisoner (player) system but for Rushworths survival could there be a way to re open the program to give them half a dozen players?
Now this could work... although not sure if it's possible as I think there was more to it than just covid that bought it to a halt

Yeah but they finish their recruiting by the start of the year. In your scenario Rushy would be recruiting nearly every week.

For a player to get to Rushworth they’d have to travel through some very well clubs in every direction.
I was never a fan of the prisoner (player) system but for Rushworths survival could there be a way to re open the program to give them half a dozen players?
That’s a good idea Browny. Rushworth, Merrigum and Murch-Toolamba all had access up to 3 players and 3 helpers.

It was a great reintegration tool and while it was an extra burden on club volunteers, it has had great results.

There was no other reason given to stop other than COVID.

For a player to get to Rushworth they’d have to travel through some very well clubs in every direction.

That’s a good idea Browny. Rushworth, Merrigum and Murch-Toolamba all had access up to 3 players and 3 helpers.

It was a great reintegration tool and while it was an extra burden on club volunteers, it has had great results.

There was no other reason given to stop other than COVID.
Thought the issue with the former prisoner playing at Rushy making the chl 7 news may have also put a line through it...

Thought the issue with the former prisoner playing at Rushy making the chl 7 news may have also put a line through it...
Was he a prisoner playing within the auspices of that program, or a former prisoner? The program of having those prisoners had merit as a device for reintegration into society. Might be some white collar criminals more befitting the pathway than the one Roota has referenced.

Was he a prisoner playing within the auspices of that program, or a former prisoner? The program of having those prisoners had merit as a device for reintegration into society. Might be some white collar criminals more befitting the pathway than the one Roota has referenced.
Was a prisoner within the program... and as you can see Roota has deleted his post due to the inaccuracy of his comment.
And the person in question, although in there for a serious offence, was regarded as a model prisoner and in the last 6mths of his sentence

Remove this Banner Ad

Back