Kyabram DFL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

The eve of the new season and the league is again dealing with the disruption of a ops manager leaving .
How many is that in the time has been administered by AFLGM 6 , 7 ?
Will the clubs get a reduction of the new increased admin fee for the time that the league doesn’t have a dedicated ops manager ?
I had a look at the job description and then seen the salary of $60,000 and moved on 😉

105K. So after the operations managers wage there is 45K worth of benefits!!
It’s been suggested as much as 25% of the persons role is spent on non KDFL matters so the $45 in ‘benefits ‘ is actually closer to $60k.
With KDFL actually getting closer to $45k of worth out of their $105k invested .
I guess that’s why they are required to only respond ‘In writting on registered Club letterhead ‘ and why the leagues gets to chose rules not be told . Eg you’ll be u15’s and they’ll be a minimum age . :think:
Awkward Episode 2 GIF by The Office

When Sharon O’Dwyer left it was $58,000… a good 3 or more years ago? Despite general inflation and the cost of living going well up, they’ve managed to increase that to $60,000-$62,000.

While this wage might be okay for many - the list of jobs and desired traits, plus a “full time” job (without weekly hours listed) and the requirement to work nights and weekends… the candidates will be limited.

I looked at the job when Sharon left and nearly fell off my chair. They’re certainly not pulling anyone from my industry (teaching) and other industries (that pay a lot more than 60k) in a hurry.

That’s not to say that the wage is bad or there’s no suitable candidates, but if that job was $80,000 or $100,000 I think there would be a lot more suitable people applying and more for AFLGM or AFLVic to choose from.

It’s a thankless job, lots of people to answer to and keep happy and texts and calls at all hours… along with plenty of weekend work.

I heard second hand from another club’s Football Manager, that Murray, even though affiliated, have their own GM, not through AFL, and pay their wage through sponsorships etc (and a decent wage at that). Although, this information mightn’t be 100% accurate, so I apologise.

When Sharon O’Dwyer left it was $58,000… a good 3 or more years ago? Despite general inflation and the cost of living going well up, they’ve managed to increase that to $60,000-$62,000.

While this wage might be okay for many - the list of jobs and desired traits, plus a “full time” job (without weekly hours listed) and the requirement to work nights and weekends… the candidates will be limited.

I looked at the job when Sharon left and nearly fell off my chair. They’re certainly not pulling anyone from my industry (teaching) and other industries (that pay a lot more than 60k) in a hurry.

That’s not to say that the wage is bad or there’s no suitable candidates, but if that job was $80,000 or $100,000 I think there would be a lot more suitable people applying and more for AFLGM or AFLVic to choose from.

It’s a thankless job, lots of people to answer to and keep happy and texts and calls at all hours… along with plenty of weekend work.

I heard second hand from another club’s Football Manager, that Murray, even though affiliated, have their own GM, not through AFL, and pay their wage through sponsorships etc (and a decent wage at that). Although, this information mightn’t be 100% accurate, so I apologise.

Sounds pretty close to what I have heard re: Murray FL.

Having worked as the grade cricket administrator for one of the state cricket associations, I can vouch for the poor work/life balance. You are working at least 55-60 most weeks for six months straight and you are always on call.

I would be woken up by the first phone call around 6am most Saturdays and Sundays with some Under 15 kid's mum asking whether their game was going to be rained off (even though there wasn't a cloud in the sky) because she didn't really want to drive 20 minutes to a game. Then most Saturday evenings, I would be rung up and asked where someone's team was on the Third or Fourth Grade ladder (and this was after round three or four out of 15!). This would happen pretty much every weekend.

Jobs like this can put a strain on family life - a family dinner at home has the potential to be ruined by a phone call from someone who refuses to ring back in half and hour and wants to complain at you for half an hour because they cannot read a rule properly.

It is not a role for someone with a young family, that is for sure. It is more ideal for someone preferring the single life or someone whose kids have all moved out or has retired from full-time work and wants to fill in some of their retirement days putting back into the local community. We seem to see the former of the two employed - a young person who is enthusiastic and not too long out of uni but doesn't always have the in-depth knowledge and experience of someone who has grown up with the league and knows some of the inner workings as well.

A number of people have pinpointed that these people do the role for a couple of years and then try and find the next job in the line and uses jobs like the KDL one as a resume-filler.

$60,000 ... wow! I was being paid around $55,000 to a job with a similar workload ... and that was about 15 years ago.

Last edited:
Sounds pretty close to what I have heard re: Murray FL.

Having worked as the grade cricket administrator for one of the state cricket associations, I can vouch for the poor work/life balance. You are working at least 55-60 most weeks for six months straight and you are always on call.

I would be woken up by the first phone call around 6am most Saturdays and Sundays with some Under 15 kid's mum asking whether their game was going to be rained off (even though there wasn't a cloud in the sky) because she didn't really want to drive 20 minutes to a game. Then most Saturday evenings, I would be rung up and asked where someone's team was on the Third or Fourth Grade ladder (and this was after round three or four out of 15!). This would happen pretty much every weekend.

Jobs like this can put a strain on family life - a family dinner at home has the potential to be ruined by a phone call from someone who refuses to ring back in half and hour and wants to complain at you for half an hour because they cannot read a rule properly.

It is not a role for someone with a young family, that is for sure. It is more ideal for someone preferring the single life or someone whose kids have all moved out or has retired from full-time work and wants to fill in some of their retirement days putting back into the local community. We seem to see the former of the two employed - a young person who is enthusiastic and not too long out of uni but doesn't always have the in-depth knowledge and experience of someone who has grown up with the league and knows some of the inner workings as well.

A number of people have pinpointed that these people do the role for a couple of years and then try and find the next job in the line and uses jobs like the KDL one as a resume-filler.

$60,000 ... wow! I was being paid around $55,000 to a job with a similar workload ... and that was about 15 years ago.
50-60 hrs a week ? Did you have someone else work the other 2-3 days of the week ?
I’d be shocked if most footy / netball administrators don’t have multiple weeks during a season , where they get close or in excess of 100hrs for the weeks .
Worth also keeping in mind Murray league football and netball is administered separately as in the football administrator doesn’t do all football and netball .

50-60 hrs a week ? Did you have someone else work the other 2-3 days of the week ?
I’d be shocked if most footy / netball administrators don’t have multiple weeks during a season , where they get close or in excess of 100hrs for the weeks .
Worth also keeping in mind Murray league football and netball is administered separately as in the football administrator doesn’t do all football and netball .
Makes ours even worse in that aspect… if the Murray League football person is on or close to 100k… KDL ops is is 60-62k for both netball and football, with the netball executive (volunteer) chipping in for the netball side. There is a few grand for a part time netball admin as a part of the increased costs to clubs. But I imagine some like Jo Backway who is the exec netball member may apply and get some reimbursement for the work she’s already doing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some good Praccy games this week

Tally v Yarroweyah

Merrigum v Macorna

Shepp east v Waiaa

Avenel v Warrandyte

Longwood v Rupertswood (brave)

Murchison v katamatite

Footy is back, Plenty on this weekend!!

Lancy, Nagambie have games?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back