Kyabram DFL discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Love this post Hank! You’re privy to the goings on around Kyabram/Echuca and have provided a scenario that has merit.

I must admit that I have had blinkers on with wanting 11s, 14s, 17s; but honestly just been seeking that 3 year spacing that community clubs need to field teams.

KD could really go 9s, 12s, 15s, 18s.

It does go against totally against the Junior Review to align things, but that has been long forgotten and never implemented.

In my opinion you have just provided a rock solid solution that will go a long way to save our floundering junior competitions and engage those kids that find themselves squeezed from the GV system.

That top age year in U15s may just give some late developers a year to build and then decide if they move back to GV or ply their skills at district level.

8:45am: U9s with 9 on field &
U12s with 12 on field.

U12s use 2/3 of the field. Essentially a 50m arc and the centre square.

U9s use the other 50m arc.

9:45am: U15s with 15 on field.

11am: U18s with 18 on field.

12:30pm: Reserves
2:30pm Seniors

May I suggest that we present this at the upcoming AGM?
Why only 15 on field in under 15s?
From experience I have seen U17 and even ressies teams play 16 a side if that is all the days numbers allow (or less) and a fair bit of borrowing players from the opposition in all grades (except seniors) at times - mostly juniors - but IMO if playing on a full field the aim should be to give as many kids as much game time as possible and just make your league rules to allow for a minimum number if required, kids don’t learn to play as well sitting on the line as they do on the field. Also seen plenty of times when both clubs have excess of numbers up to 22 on a field in under 14s

Have you read a more vanilla, corporate, boring statement than the one released today by AFLGM To shepp news today?
Insulting that they think this gobbledygook will be taken seriously.
Why not front up, speak to Shep News and other media who follow footy week in, week out and explain.
you might actually get some respect by just being honest.
but instead they want to put an even bigger space between themselves and invory towers they inhabit and those most affected by their decisions.
“As the process unfolded, an updated proposal was put to the Commission. Whilst the Commission remains open to a new district league competition, the new proposal had a more significant impact on the region than initially proposed and required further consideration.”

Think that translates as thought the new league would accommodate Tocumwal topped up with PDFNL clubs, but in reality only two were prepared to move at this time and the rest were our KDFNL clubs who we don’t want to lose out of our control

Let’s see if they do now address the issues these said clubs were seeking a better outcome for and whether the other clubs in the league also up their game in regards to pushing for a sustainable junior pathway aligned with and included in and on the same gameday as the rest of the club.

If not revisit your decision and let them go!!

Why only 15 on field in under 15s?
From experience I have seen U17 and even ressies teams play 16 a side if that is all the days numbers allow (or less) and a fair bit of borrowing players from the opposition in all grades (except seniors) at times - mostly juniors - but IMO if playing on a full field the aim should be to give as many kids as much game time as possible and just make your league rules to allow for a minimum number if required, kids don’t learn to play as well sitting on the line as they do on the field. Also seen plenty of times when both clubs have excess of numbers up to 22 on a field in under 14s
Those numbers being a minimum expectation.

What's the set-up like in murray league juniors hank? Is there a big difference between your Moamas compared to smaller towns luke Numurkah and Nathalia?
Moama and usually Cobram smash it in the juniors generally, Nathalia did win the 17s in 2022 though. Most years all clubs are competitive. My opinion, Moama should be pushing to join the GV anyway, they have a very strong junior football and netball set up that could provide them a platform to be strong in the GV in years to come.

“As the process unfolded, an updated proposal was put to the Commission. Whilst the Commission remains open to a new district league competition, the new proposal had a more significant impact on the region than initially proposed and required further consideration.”

Think that translates as thought the new league would accommodate Tocumwal topped up with PDFNL clubs, but in reality only two were prepared to move at this time and the rest were our KDFNL clubs who we don’t want to lose out of our control

Let’s see if they do now address the issues these said clubs were seeking a better outcome for and whether the other clubs in the league also up their game in regards to pushing for a sustainable junior pathway aligned with and included in and on the same gameday as the rest of the club.

If not revisit your decision and let them go!!
Or is there a financial factor being overlooked in all of this?
four less clubs, less money the hub could have charged the KDL to administer its competition.
that loss of income would have gone directly to an admin rival so to speak with the Murray league managing its own affairs.
or is that just being overly cynical?

I don't think there was enough interest from picola clubs, if 5 picola clubs said yes, the league would have gone ahead
I think there were numerous parties who thought it was an opportunity to significantly affect the Picola league .
What seemingly transpired was the increased interest from KDL clubs to move away from the KDL for reasons such as juniors and also unrest with administration . Both of which could easily be seen as a failure by AFLGM / AFLVic who ultimately canned it .
What started as a means to disrupt the picola league had turned into a bigger disruption for the KDL .
Aside from the financial loss from administration , there would have also been some loss of control over 4 clubs, increased competition for the hub administered junior comps and also put a dent in the wish to obtain full control / administration of all within the region . ( I have little doubt the intent is to try to push picola into administration and then start on Murray )
FWIW i have little doubt that the localised commission is being micro managed by further up the chain .

Those numbers being a minimum expectation.
Do you mean a club must have a minimum of 15 players to be included in the fixture for an U15 comp or do you mean games can only be played with a minimum of 15 players on the field for each team for the game to proceed (eg if a club has say 10-12 registered U15 aged players they can either top up from their registered U12 players or borrow a few from the opposition if they have extra?)

100% agree. I reckon the hub employees are nothing more than puppets on a string with no true say in what can be done.

I reckon if the clubs wanting new league ditched tie to Murray league and asked to go in hub they would probably be an “east” division of Ky league by now, but going in hub and letting them clowns administer you would be a no go for most

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rumour has it Jackson Trengove is a signing at Tally and Hamish Hartlett in for 10 games too. Look out

Rumour has it Jackson Trengove is a signing at Tally and Hamish Hartlett in for 10 games too. Look out
Hahaha love a good silly season rumour! That's not bad FTH..... But I'm pretty sure I read that Hamish had signed somewhere down in Melbourne so I'm sorry I have to shut down that rumour so early! 😩🤣

Hahaha love a good silly season rumour! That's not bad FTH..... But I'm pretty sure I read that Hamish had signed somewhere down in Melbourne so I'm sorry I have to shut down that rumour so early! 😩🤣
KDL salary cap not big enough to fit Trengove in!
But then again the salary cap doesn't really come into it anymore 😏

KDL salary cap not big enough to fit Trengove in!
But then again the salary cap doesn't really come into it anymore 😏
I disagree, there are processes in place to show clubs sticking to the cap.

Uploading player contracts, budgets plans, end of season spends and AGM financials. These are all measures to ensure clubs are being viable.

What clubs work to hide outside of that is their own prerogative. In my experience it was hard enough for us to consistently raise, allocate and spend to the cap that going over was not an option. Extra funds went towards trying to improve facilities and reduce payments from juniors, reserves and netballers.

The other considerable factor was keeping the price of a Great Northern can down to an appropriate level! 🍺

Edit: If I am wrong, as I inferred that the “the cap really doesn’t really come into it anymore” means that clubs are paying players outside of the cap. Then I’d like to add that in 2012 and 2013 KDL Premierships cost more that $100k, ten years on we have clubs budgeting $75k which is well under that mark from a decade ago. In my experience, I have found that this can be sustainable through good management.

So if clubs are breaching the cap, I would add that perhaps it isn’t too bad, as without such controls we may have already seen district clubs trying to raise and spend $100k a year just to compete, let alone making finals, and we’d have seen many more clubs fold or go into significant debt just trying to reduce the damage on the scoreboard.

Unchecked, with no cap, it is my opinion that clubs could be spending $150k+ on players by now. I doubt our communities have the resources to back such a war chest and if they did, imagine the pressure on the volunteers to achieve that.

To that end, I’d say that the salary cap is a success, even if the innuendo suggests otherwise. Sure it needs tweaking, like the player points, but I’d much prefer to be administering a club with a salary cap than without one. The cap and points have been frustrating but to me their impact over the decade is evident.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back