Random Kyrgios, Warner, etc etc

Remove this Banner Ad

McEnroe used to carry on like a d#$k, no doubt, as does young Nick, but I doubt you'll find this is why McEnroe is saying his performance is a 'black eye' ont he sport. For all McEnroe's faults as a player, he never ever gave up. Kyrgios does regularly. He sulked massively last night, costing himself the win. Hewitt, Connors, McEnroe et al, could be complete knobs, but never gave up in matches

You're right about McEnroe, although you'll notice he never deployed his antics against Bjorn Borg, which makes you think he wasn't as lacking in self control as it may have seemed. Having said that, he definitely went over the top on occasion.

The other things that sets McEnroe aside from Kyrgios IMHO, were his love of his country, always performing at David Cup level, and wearing his USA tops in normal competition, and when being interviewed was always gracious to the interviewer as well as being prepared to listen to criticism of his game. I believe this is the area where Kyrgios fails.

I'd say it places you in a small minority.
I'm happy to label him a mentally weak flat track bully who's lack of fight is borderline un-Australian.

He's either unable to identify when there is a period when we need to just occupy the crease for a session, which show a lack of situational awareness.
Or he doesn't possess the game for slow play meaning he is one dimensional and should be down the order at 5 or 6 like Gilchrist.
Or he put's it in the too hard basket and hides behind his "the way I play excuse" which shows a complete lack of fight.

Worst of all he is somehow test VC and his s**t attitude permeates the entire team.

He will never give us an inspiring gutsy backs to the wall inning the likes of Steve Waugh or Justin Langer built their reputations on.

McEnroe used to carry on like a d#$k, no doubt, as does young Nick, but I doubt you'll find this is why McEnroe is saying his performance is a 'black eye' ont he sport. For all McEnroe's faults as a player, he never ever gave up. Kyrgios does regularly. He sulked massively last night, costing himself the win. Hewitt, Connors, McEnroe et al, could be complete knobs, but never gave up in matches

This +10

It's the quitting. McEnroe was rude as a distraction and won trophies.

Kyrgios is a distraction to himself and not on the path to superstardom....

I'm happy to label him a mentally weak flat track bully who's lack of fight is borderline un-Australian.

He's either unable to identify when there is a period when we need to just occupy the crease for a session, which show a lack of situational awareness.
Or he doesn't possess the game for slow play meaning he is one dimensional and should be down the order at 5 or 6 like Gilchrist.
Or he put's it in the too hard basket and hides behind his "the way I play excuse" which shows a complete lack of fight.

Worst of all he is somehow test VC and his s**t attitude permeates the entire team.

He will never give us an inspiring gutsy backs to the wall inning the likes of Steve Waugh or Justin Langer built their reputations on.

Versus South Africa in South Africa - scores crucial centuries against one of the best pace attacks in the world on their home soil. In the third and deciding test he scores a century in both innnings:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/south-africa-v-australia-2013-14/engine/current/match/648677.html

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/648673.html

Versus India - is about the only batsmen outside of Cowan to put up a resistance and is the basis of the innings which won us the match only needing to bat once:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/518952.html

While it was a draw - against both Boult and Southee Warner scores 250+ and along with Khawaja are the only two batsmen to put up a fight in the first innings. Without them we'd likely have lost a test at the Gabba for the first time in a long time.

Scored at 46.44 in the 2015 Ashes, scored at 59.75 against Pakistan in the UAE. He failed in Sri Lanka in that disastrous series - but he wasn't Crusoe on that one. He's also not the first Aussie batsmen to have superior averages on Australian soil. The aforementioned Justin Langer averages 12.75 in a series vs Sri Lanka in 1999 and 28.50 in a series in India in 2004/5. Langer also has vastly better averages on home soil. Langer's average overseas was 41.37 compared to Warner's 38.54. Not exactly miles apart. Not going to make the comparison to Waugh because he was a freak (particularly when his average was better away from home) and he was playing a different role for the side.

Fact is - you don't have a test average of 49.13 and 18 centuries from 60 tests if you are as bad as you make Warner out to be. Judging his leadership is pretty rough also - the team sucked at the start of this year because of selection not because of attitudes. Once the deadwood (i.e. Marsh brothers) was cleared out the team won four straight tests in convincing fashion. With a solid opening partner in Renshaw, Warner can now play the attacking role much like a Slater/Taylor or Langer/Hayden combination.

No, but he will frequently give a destructive innings that is sometimes Bradmanesque in it's execution that puts the opponent on the back foot right from the start. Renshaw is the perfect partner, hoping both do well in India and cement themselves as Australia next famous opening pair. Warner & Renshaw.

Versus South Africa in South Africa - scores crucial centuries against one of the best pace attacks in the world on their home soil. In the third and deciding test he scores a century in both innnings:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/south-africa-v-australia-2013-14/engine/current/match/648677.html

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/648673.html

Versus India - is about the only batsmen outside of Cowan to put up a resistance and is the basis of the innings which won us the match only needing to bat once:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/518952.html

While it was a draw - against both Boult and Southee Warner scores 250+ and along with Khawaja are the only two batsmen to put up a fight in the first innings. Without them we'd likely have lost a test at the Gabba for the first time in a long time.

Scored at 46.44 in the 2015 Ashes, scored at 59.75 against Pakistan in the UAE. He failed in Sri Lanka in that disastrous series - but he wasn't Crusoe on that one. He's also not the first Aussie batsmen to have superior averages on Australian soil. The aforementioned Justin Langer averages 12.75 in a series vs Sri Lanka in 1999 and 28.50 in a series in India in 2004/5. Langer also has vastly better averages on home soil. Langer's average overseas was 41.37 compared to Warner's 38.54. Not exactly miles apart. Not going to make the comparison to Waugh because he was a freak (particularly when his average was better away from home) and he was playing a different role for the side.

Fact is - you don't have a test average of 49.13 and 18 centuries from 60 tests if you are as bad as you make Warner out to be. Judging his leadership is pretty rough also - the team sucked at the start of this year because of selection not because of attitudes. Once the deadwood (i.e. Marsh brothers) was cleared out the team won four straight tests in convincing fashion. With a solid opening partner in Renshaw, Warner can now play the attacking role much like a Slater/Taylor or Langer/Hayden combination.

For all of Warner's destructiveness, which is indisputable, he has routinely thrown away his wicket in a brash and reckless fashion in the pursuit of maintaining some imaginary strike rate target.
When he goes out early, granted he may have 30 runs to his name off 18 balls but that to me is an abject failure.
Yeah 30 runs is still good for his average and whatever, but he's handed the opposition a breakthrough inside the first half dozen overs. They have early momentum. And he has not done his primary role as an opening batsman, see off the new ball. When Warner throws his wicket away then Australia will more than likely suffer an embarrassing batting collapse. There is a ripple effect.

Yeah the team around him has been poor. All the more reason to batten down the hatches. What's the point in hitting 100 off 75 balls when you gifting the enemy the luxury of 5 sessions to build a target instead of 3 sessions?

This guy is a habitual risk taker, unfortunately in the 5 day game it's as much to do with risk mitigation. Hey when the time is right, and you're well on top go for it, have an license to hit, quick runs can turn draws into victories.
Sometimes you need to play to avoid the loss, not to guarantee it.

No, but he will frequently give a destructive innings that is sometimes Bradmanesque in it's execution that puts the opponent on the back foot right from the start. Renshaw is the perfect partner, hoping both do well in India and cement themselves as Australia next famous opening pair. Warner & Renshaw.

Bradman would roll in his grave watching Warner's risky antics. The Don hit 6 sixes in his 80 test innings and is well know for his penchant of hitting the ball along the ground because there is no risk of being caught.

----

Don't take me the wrong way guys. I would dearly love Warner to consolidate his game and add a string to his bow. If he could temper his batting to compliment his talent he would undoubtedly become a more complete batsman and a much much more consistent and valuable player.

Clarko wouldn't stand for it, team first, go when it's your turn.

As it is right now the media make the excuses for him. The way he plays. Take the good with the bad. etc...

Food for thought: http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...d/news-story/72bf69097712d7cc53d80130370f9550

Warner 130 today. Another ordinary innings that wasn't that good. In fact, Don Bradman would have been disgusted and Clarko would have dropped him from the team :)
A one dayer? The cricket equivalent of JLT (NAB) Challenge.
We all know how Clarko treats those.... ;)

I recall Slater and Hayden going to England, both vying for the vacant opener slot. Slater got it based on a century in the warm up match (haydo didn't play). Can you imagine the career Haydo might have had if he had got the gig instead of Slater? Slats was no slouch, but Haydo was one of those generation players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back