Review Lachie Henderson - game by game

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey BB

Do you actually have a copy of all those games on video/dvd, or do you have an amazing 'photographic' memory ...

Nice effort for you to go through all this trouble though, it is appreciated

Sorry to keep you hanging........babybear (the elder) was still up when I got home and had no interest in going to bed.

Should get posted today. :thumbsu:

Sensational effort BB.
Really enjoying these write-ups.

What's the most pleasing aspect of reading this, is that his penetration with his kicking appears to be on the improve. When I saw him play for the Falcons, although it was only a few times as he was coming off an injury, one query was his penetration with his kicking, and more precisely, his kicking for goal. IIRC, he kicked the ball high, rather than getting distance/penetration with his kicking.

Sensational effort BB.
Really enjoying these write-ups.

What's the most pleasing aspect of reading this, is that his penetration with his kicking appears to be on the improve. When I saw him play for the Falcons, although it was only a few times as he was coming off an injury, one query was his penetration with his kicking, and more precisely, his kicking for goal. IIRC, he kicked the ball high, rather than getting distance/penetration with his kicking.

Yeah I noticed that when I was watching the NAB cup game against Essendon the other day. Kicking penetration was pretty poor, though it might have been due to the break in his leg he had in 2007. Can anyone verify?

anticipation.jpg

It better be as good as your other reviews :D:p

Hey BB

Do you actually have a copy of all those games on video/dvd, or do you have an amazing 'photographic' memory ...

I believe the AFL website has games available, not sure if that is how BB got the videos though. It would be weird if he owned DVD's of all these games considering next to none of them involve Carlton and occur in no identifiable pattern besides Henderson playing. Unless BB is stalking Henderson?

Hey BB

afl.com.au - video - full match replay.
We are on bigpond cable at work so its pretty decent quality. At home via ADSL the quality settings drop automatically and on the "full screen" setting it can be hard to make out numbers.......lucky he wears blue boots. :D
Geez........I get my sig all sorted and then you go and say something like that and I'll have to change it. :p

Thanks CP. :thumbsu:

HBF said:
What I've noticed with his kicking is that his field kicking from a standstill is generally very good. Good distance, accurate and fairly good penetration. I wouldn't put them in the Daisy cutter/bullet passes of Rich, but nor is he a "float it up there" like Carrazzo. Most of his field kicks hit targets rather than be spoiled etc.

TBH I can't add too much about his goal kicking. He has only had one shot from any sort of distance as he has been in the backline, or playing high as a CHF.

That one kick was his first kick at goal in his first AFL seniors game......it was a bit of a mongrel and just made the distance from 45m out..........not sure if nerves played a part but I've been keen to look at his goal kicking more.

His 2nd Q vs the Cats that I'm writing up now is what we should expect IMO, and we won't be disappointed with him. Presenting well, marking well, defensive pressure, smart quick decisions with the ball.

If I had heaps of time on my hands I'd like to go back and have a look at some of Riewoldt and Kennedy's early games.
I don't remember a lot of Roo early days, but JK seemed to move to the right spots but spill a lot of marks he should have taken. Seemded to be a bit indecisive with his kicking at times.

Henderson seems assured with his decision making and executes well, marks what he should mark, and some contested marks that he probably has not right to do at 18 y.o. Second effort similar between the two.
LH's first 5 games are on a par with where we saw Kennedy at then end of his last season with us.......esp the game vs the Roos where he lead out, took some grabs and started to kick a couple.

When I've finished this review I'll put a bit of a "mugs summary" in his buddy thread.

He's using the crappy Bigpond streams I think. That's what I did to watch the NAB game vs Essendon.
Via cable......not so crappy.......via ADSL... :eek::eek::eek:

Game 6
2008 Round 7 - vs Cats at Skilled

Brown out. Mitch Clark in.

Q1
- LH at CHB on Gamble
- Gamble roved ball well after LH made first contest. Peeled off with Patful on his toe (LH moved across to Patfuls man). Gamble shot on goal missed.

1. Kick - from the kick in to D50 LH sprints past the man who marked it, gets the H/b receive, takes a running bounce and kicks poorly (sl mongrel off the boot - kicking at full pace maybe not his go). Turnover to Ling on the wing.

2. Mark and Kick - Play switched from outer HBF to LH on the goal line, minor pressure, hits Brennan with nice 50m drop punt (no lack of confidence after shanked the kick 2 mins earlier on the run).

Clark off, LH to CHF but little play through CHF, mostly ignoring LH and going longer to Bradshaw.

Q2
- Statring at CHF with Milburn picking him up.
- Kick from opening bounce a big up and under. LH makes good position and "out bodied" Milburn but just spilled the chest mark.

1. Handball - running back towards the pack, roved the spill nicely (clean pickup from high bouncing ball). Should have snapped for goal but decided to h/b to Power behind him and in more space. Tried to be selfless but should have snapped.

- Good chase on Bartel and Corey out of D50. Gets next possie from turnover created partly with his pressure.

2. Kick - gets handball over the top from the turnover. His chase sees LH on his own on the HFF 60m out. Turns and delivers nicely to Charman who misses his set shot from 40m out.

- Good shepherd to protect smaller player running onto loose ball
- Nice lead up to the wing. Drops the sliding chest mark, but D Parkin gives him a big wrap saying "He'll be alright this kid, just needs the body to go with it, but he'll be good".

3. Mark and H/b - lead up from CHF to wing, sliding chest mark, quickly to feet and handball to McDonald running past.

- Gathers loose ball but immediately tackle by Ling......."drops" ball in tackle into space to advantage of teammates.

4. Mark and Kick - lead up to wing on H Taylor and marked with arms outsstretched in front of eyes. Kicked back to loose man on D50 to switch play.

- Peeled off contest early when the ball had spilled in Lions favour.
- Spoiled attempted mark by Cats running with flight at F60. Cats trying to clear D50. Made very good ground to get to contest to spoil. Followed up in the next 2-3 passages of play but tended to skirt to pack rather than crash it which he could have on occasion.

5. Handball - picked up loose ball, tackled immediately, handball immediately to avoid being free kicked.

- Fight for loose ball, keeps ball in area for Lions and resulted in a goal, but disallowed due to Charman idiocy.
- Very tired looking lead in last 15 seconds.

Q3
- Starting at CHF with Harley on him.
- Harley spoils in body on body contest.

1. Handball - H/B receive at CHF, immediately shutdown, goes backwards to Lions player, quick decision puts player into space - I50 results.

- Soft touch in contested ground ball puts ball to Lions advantage.
- Some chances to use his body and hits some packs but tended to skirt around the edges looking to attack the loose ball.

Q4
- At CHF. Didn't feature in the play at all other than a couple of shepherds. Play being directed through Clark and being pushed deep to Bradshaw.

My count - 4 kicks, 4h/b, 3marks, 2 i50. (footywire has 6 kicks and 3 H/B 5 marks)

Positives:
- Nice mark with outstretched arms
- Didn't have any confidence issue after he shanked a kick, then followed up with a nice 50m lace out pass under some pressure.
- Presented well, especially in the second quarter where he looked like a good CHF.......which at 18 y.o. is just ridiculous. Play was going through him and he did well.
- Did O.K. with some body work on older opponents (Milburn)

Negatives:
- Tends to skirt around the packs rather than bust into them. Maybe this is a body size thing, but he doesn't seem the bash and crash type just at the minute.
- Not sure if it was a confidence thing or if he was trying too hard to please a teammate, but he should have taken a snap on goal, and choose to pull up, and go backwards to Power.

Game 7
2008 Round 13 - vs Crows at the GABBA

Bradshaw out.
Q1
- Clark FF, Brown CHF, Brennan HFF.
- LH at FP with Stevens as opponent.
- Good defensive pressure on Stevens and Basset. Good pace with extended chase
- Now playing deep, FF.
- Spoiled by Stevens at top of GS in body on body. Maybe unlucky not to get a free for being held.

1. Kick - h/b receive at F50, tackled as he kicked but good 30m kick I50 to "hot spot". Didn't try to do too much with it.

- Stevens beat LH to loose ball and got handpass away. LH should have been a bit harder at the ball and the man.

Not figuring in the play in the last 10 mins as Brown becomes the focal point at CHF.

Q2
- Starting on the bench. Copeland at FF, Brown at CHF, Clark FP.
- On at 22 min mark to FP.
- Good chase on Edwards out to the wing. Good pace to close him down and put pressure on the kick.

1. Mark and Kick - marks in space FP 40m out from stoppage spilling to Selwood. Kick across the face of goal, no score.

Q3
- Starting on bench.
- On at 8 min mark, Bock as opponent, in goal square.
- Not in the play at all. Brown, Copeland and Clark the main targets.
- Off at 25 min mark.

Q4
- Starts on I/C. Brown, Clark, Copeland and Brennan forward.
- On at 13 min mark.
- Good lead to FP 50m out. Rischitelli sprayed kick OOF.

1. Free kick - lead at CHF on Bock. Nearly took the mark with arms outstretched. Bock had to chop the arms and the head to spoil. Kicks long and high to Brown and Copeland (Copeland was on his own - well spotted and quick execution, Copeland should have marked but dropped it and it hit him in the face). Hooper roves and has shot on goal.

- Followed Bock outside D 50 to take away his run/link up.
- Leads Bock to footy on outer HFF, doesn't make the contest at the drop quite in time and gets a hand on the ball.
- Bench again with 5 mins to go.

My count = footywire - 3 kicks, 0h/b, 1marks, 2 i50.

Positives:
- Got on and immediately had an impact in the second Q with a shot at goal.
- Still does the 1%ers naturally, and seems naturally defensively minded as a forward.

Negatives:
- When he was on the ground didn't get into play
- Not using his frame to advantage around packs.

Spent a lot of time on the bench. With Clark, Brown and Copeland all kicking goals up forward was not a key target.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best game forward was the NAB Cup game vs Essendon last year.
Line ball for mine, but I'd actually put his 2nd quarter vs the Cats down as his best "forward effort" for the games I've seen thus far.

Yes he played on Mal Michael in that NAB cup game and beat him consistently off the lead.........but who couldn't? And how interested was Mal in NAB 1? He then had some no-name rookie in the second half and dismantled him thouroughly.

Verus the Cats he was in a tight game at a hostile venue and in the absebce of J Brown, pushed the like of Harley, Taylor and Milburn and took control of CHF for the term (until it was given back to Clark??? Why Leigh......why....:confused:). Didn't kick a goal but set up play from higher up the ground and created a number of opportunities.

Blue and Silver said:
Man you are like a Hendo watching machine
Just like to know what my boys can do and where they need to work a bit harder.

Game 8
2008 Round 19 - vs Hawks at Aurora

Clarke Out.
Q1
- Bradshaw FF, Brown CHF.
- On interchange until 8 min mark as backup ruckman for Charman. :confused:
- Boundary throw in vs Taylor, holds ground but third man up gets hitout.
- Second boundary throw in, matched Taylor body on body, neither wins h/o/.

1. Hitout - Centre square after 1st goal won hitout vs Taylor

- Boundary throw in, held position body on body vs Taylor, third man up got hitout.
- Late to contest for ball up, Taylor holds him off easily, ans wins hitout.
- Ball up, held ground body on body vs Taylor, Brennan wins hitout third man up.

2. Hitout - jumped into Taylor and won hitout to J Brown 30m out from goal.

- To forward line with Charman back on but defensive game and only another 2 I50's for the quarter. 1.4 10 each at Q time.

Q2
- Starting on the bench until 12 minute mark then into the ruck for Charman to rest.

1. Mark and Handball - spread well to "fat side" from a :ions free at CHB. Marks at D50 from switch of play, quick play on which with the Hawks zone was very good and broke up the zone.

- Pushing back into "the hole" as the ruckman, after being on D50. Ran 40m to get into Rougheads way and got a spoil on the ball.
- Moves to CHF, leads out to HFF. Blacks kick poor and despite LH having 5m on his man (Dew) can't get within 5m of ball before it bounces and goes OOB.
- Beaten at C sq bounce by Campbell.
- Charman on for LH at 21 min mark.

Q3
- Starting at ff.
- Tackle on Hodge who pushed back into the contest.

1. Handball - Flew for a contested mark vs HOdge on the wing. Didn't take mark cleanly but brought the ball to ground to his own advantage, clean pickup and handball to Begley running past. Begley immediately tackled by Hodge but LH has spread and moved to receive h/b.

2. Kick - h/b receive from Begley from above play, immediately onto left foot and hits Brown with a 20m pass. Didn't hesitate on left foot.

- Attempted mark on goal line running down from the same passage of play above.
- One on one contest with Hodge 30m out. Brown backing back and ball in the sun. No-one makes a good play on the ball.

3. Hitout - vs Campbell on the wing. Replay shown over the top but commentators call the hitout.

- Held out of ball up contest by Campbell.
- Charman resting forward after bumping head. LH realises quickly and pushes back outside F50 to sit a where a quick clearing kick would go.
- Taylor fends off and should have been pinged for high contact, wins hitout easily.
- Taylor and Campbell now figuring LH out and hitting him in the body as he jumps. Beaten in next two ball-ups.
- Centre bounce, neither ruck wins but LH wins ball on the ground. Spills out in tackle.
- Great chase over 50m to catch Birchall on the run and force him to dispose to Buddy. LH follows up to tackle Buddy and forces disposal again.
- Took a running leap at the pack and got hands to the footy but couldn't reel in the mark.

Q4
- Starts on I/C.
- On at 12 min mark in the C sq to ruck.

1. Hitout - wins C sq hitout but roved by Hawks.

- Tackle after losing C sq bounce (jumped too early). Squared next ball up.
- Tackle

2. Handball - Dropped overhead mark under pressure just outside F50, but drags the ball I50, gathers cleanly and hanballs to Black.

My count - 1 kick, 3h/b, 1marks, 1 i50, 3 tackles, 4 hitouts (footywire = 2 T and 3 h/o)

Positives:
- Wasn't completely embarrassed in what may well have been his first game as a ruckman. Body on body held his own vs Taylor and Campbell and even won some hitouts.
- Flew for a couple of pack marks, and looked to be trying to mark with outstretched arms more than on the chest.
- Moves around the ground smartly. Seems to think, position himself, direct others.

Negatives:
- None obvious in this game other than he was played mostly out of position, but made a good fist of it.

Bluebear, on your excite-o-meter, how high have these games been getting you?
Not sure what type of videos you think I'm watching.............:D

From what I've seen I'm rapt. He plays with all the self assurance of a 4-5 year player, but within his limitations. The thing I like is that despite having limited opportunities, whenever he comes on the ground he seems to have an impact. Surprisingly during the last game, and the current one under review (vs Swans) as a backup rukman to Charman.

It might be unfair to draw direct comparisons to Josh Kennedy, but as he is the young CHF I have the most clear memories of his first two years I'd be comfortable saying that Lachie showed from game 1 what we started to see from JK at the end of year two.
LH is cleaner at ground level, but JK possibly a better kick from range.
LH much quicker and cleaner with his disposal outside F50, whereas my IIRC JK was quite hesitant in the early days, and unsure of where to kick the ball.
LH seems to have greater strength as an 18y.o. than JK did, holding his own in one out duals with far more experienced opponents. Occasionaly they got the better of him, but he has by no means been "rag dolled" as you often see with young KPP's.
LH looks very confortable leading up and playing high CHF whereas JK looks a bit more confortable coming out of the goal square.....

..........actually they'd make a handy double team. :(

The thing that really excites me is that he has been able to do some really good things, but due to the dominance of Brown, Bradshaw and then Clark up forward he was largely ignored as the 4th, 5th and sometimes 6th option (add Brennan, Copeland, Hooper and Corrie at times).......I can't wait to see what he can do when he is the main target.

The main knock is on his goal kicking, but he has kicked bags in the QAFL, and TBH hasn't had enough shots from different positions to make a sensible judgement. Based on his field kicking his technique is sound, and mentally I'd think he should be fine, so that's a wait and see.

I have the last game of his debut season under review and should be able to do some of this years games over the weekend.

I've read enough to tell me the kid will never make it...only 5m on Dew??? He must be spuds of the highest order.
Dew started 5m ahead of him and LH was walking..........if only they were running for a donut it would have been a fairer contest. :D

Dew started 5m ahead of him and LH was walking..........if only they were running for a donut it would have been a fairer contest. :D

More seriously now (which I don't do well), I appreciate the write ups.

What seems to be coming through is that he is a bit of a 1% man, does the little things well, and seems to work hard off the ball. It's not flashy but I love seeing this in young players...gotta have the substance to go with the style.

If we had 6-7 guys who applied themselves the way Kreuzer (and seemingly Henderson) does off the ball and were always willing to put in the second and third efforts it is as good as having an extra player running around on the park.

More seriously now (which I don't do well), I appreciate the write ups.

What seems to be coming through is that he is a bit of a 1% man, does the little things well, and seems to work hard off the ball. It's not flashy but I love seeing this in young players...gotta have the substance to go with the style.

If we had 6-7 guys who applied themselves the way Kreuzer (and seemingly Henderson) does off the ball and were always willing to put in the second and third efforts it is as good as having an extra player running around on the park.
Yeah, he does do it instinctively.

It surprised me a little when in some of the interviews I've seen he mentions that his 2nd and 3rd efforts are an rea he needs to work on.
The efforts are genrally there, but I guess he could work on his intenisty at the ball......i.e. attacking the contest, and the next contest with ferocity.........but this is merely a change in gear and concentration rather than teaching Fev how to chase.

He seems smart on the ground too.......spreads well from contests to provide an option (even if its ignored), moves out of the way to open up space for other forwards in better positions.......something we have not witnessed for many a year at the Blues.........

.......I'm going on aren't I. :eek:

It might be unfair to draw direct comparisons to Josh Kennedy, but as he is the young CHF I have the most clear memories of his first two years I'd be comfortable saying that Lachie showed from game 1 what we started to see from JK at the end of year two.
LH is cleaner at ground level, but JK possibly a better kick from range.
LH much quicker and cleaner with his disposal outside F50, whereas my IIRC JK was quite hesitant in the early days, and unsure of where to kick the ball.
LH seems to have greater strength as an 18y.o. than JK did, holding his own in one out duals with far more experienced opponents. Occasionaly they got the better of him, but he has by no means been "rag dolled" as you often see with young KPP's.
LH looks very confortable leading up and playing high CHF whereas JK looks a bit more confortable coming out of the goal square.....

..........actually they'd make a handy double team. :(

Personally I hold out hope that JK loved it so much over here that maybe in two or three years we can convince him to come back over. I remember someone at the club saying they'd like to see him back plaing for the Blues in an interview but that was ages ago around the time of the Judd trade

Personally I hold out hope that JK loved it so much over here that maybe in two or three years we can convince him to come back over. I remember someone at the club saying they'd like to see him back plaing for the Blues in an interview but that was ages ago around the time of the Judd trade
We all need to let it go. When he wasn't getting games for WCE I thought maybe we could do it, but after last year when he took ownership of the forward line............its done.......he is now a WCE player for life. :(

We'll console ourselves with Judd and Henderson. :D

Should have the Swans game up tonight. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back