Carlton
Other Teams
There's only one!
23. Lachie Henderson

henderson_lachie_o.png

DOB: 14/12/1989

Height: 196cm

Weight: 96kg

Draft History: Pick 8 (Brisbane), 2007 National Draft. Traded by Brisbane to Carlton for Brendan Fevola and Pick 27 in the 2009 National Draft.

Recruited From: Birregurra/Geelong College/Geelong U18/Brisbane

Debut: Round 2, 2008 vs Collingwood

Twitter: twitter.com/Hendo_23

Career Highlights: Video to be provided

2013 Forecast:

Re: Lachie Henderson, welcome to Carlton

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lachlan_Henderson

196 cm, 92 kg at 19 years old.

Lachlan Henderson is often compared to Jonathan Brown and Matthew Pavlich due to his strong marking ability, stamina and his ability to play at both forward (Centre Half Forward/Half Forward Flank) and back positions (centre half-back/half-back flank).

His standout game for the 2009 season came in round twelve against Hawthorn at Aurora Stadium in Launceston. Playing as an offensive Centre half-back, he kept Hawthorn's Jarryd Roughead to just one goal and set up three goals.

• Banned

So...at the end of a big trade story with Brendan Fevola, he heads to the Lions in return for Lachie Henderson and pick 12.:thumbsu:
Not seen too much of him to judge him but appears to have enormous potential.
We lose our champion FF who will be enormously difficult to replace, but we get a very young up-and-coming key position player and an early draft pick at the end of the day.
In the end...remember...no one is bigger than the club.;)
On the CFC website is a player profile of him.:thumbsu:
http://www.carltonfc.com.au/newsarticle/tabid/4311/newsid/85913/default.aspx
Henderson heads to Carlton
henderson-081009-246-1.jpg

Lachlan Henderson to join the Blues

Who is Lachlan Henderson? It’s a question more than 43,000 Carlton members will be asking in the wake of today’s AFL draft trade deadline.

So to allay any fears, consider this following observation from the respected draft observer and The Age journalist Emma Quayle.

Writing on Twitter this morning, Quayle spruiked: “That is an amazing trade. Henderson is an awesome, awesome get for the Blues, exactly what they would have been trying to draft”.

Henderson, the 19 year-old strong-marking key forward/defender who originally hailed from the western Victorian town of Birregurra, is now a Carlton player. In a package complete with Brisbane’s first-round selection (selection 12 overall), he returns to Victoria to join Carlton, which has parted with Brendan Fevola and its second-round selection (selection 27 overall) in return.

Though he was sidelined for 12 weeks with a broken leg two years ago, Henderson’s reputation was such that the 15-game former Lions player was originally taken with their first-round selection (eighth overall) in the 2007 AFL National Draft behind a septet of big names, beginning with Carlton’s priority selection Matthew Kreuzer, then Trent Cotchin, Chris Masten, Cale Morton, Jarrad Grant, David Myers and Rhys Palmer.

Such was Brisbane’s lofty rating of the player, that it opted for Henderson ahead of such types as Ben McEvoy at nine, Patrick Dangerfield at ten, Patrick Veszpremi (11) and Cyril Rioli (12).

Henderson originally plied his craft with the Geelong Falcons, which produced the likes of premiership players Jonathan Brown, Scott Lucas, Gary Ablett junior, Jimmy Bartel, Luke Hodge, Cameron Ling, Matthew Scarlett and Carlton’s rucks coach, Matthew Capuano.

In the lead-up to the 2007 draft, Henderson was quoted in The Geelong Advertiser as saying, “ . . . I’d really like to stay in Victoria, but to play AFL footy, who really cares. I’d be happy to go anywhere”.

Now he has his wish.

Falcons coach Garry Hocking was also quoted in the Advertiser article, saying he had no doubt about his talent.

“He’s very mobile for a big man and he’s not only a strong mark but he’s good at ground level as well,” Hocking said at the time.

“The best thing about Lachie is that he's a great kid. I also think that he’s got great leadership qualities.”

Appears to be a CHF/CHB prospect, one whose opportunities have been limited through inexperience, injury and lack of opportunities on the forward line in particular with Brown and Bradshaw down there.
We are going to really lack some experience down in the forward line next year concerning talls (Waite exempt assuming he plays down there like one thinks he will) but at still only 19 years of age he has a good size on him and will only get better with more opportunites with the Navy Blues.

Also returns home to play with his native state with the best AFL club in the competition.:thumbsu:
Best of luck Lachie in your endeavours to make a mark at AFL level.:thumbsu:
PS. I said it first, give him the great Jezza and Fev's no.25 guernsey.:cool:

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/players/L/Lachlan_Henderson.html

http://www.lions.com.au/players/pla.../senior/season/2009/selected/bio/default.aspx

He kicked a season-high nine goals for the Suncoast Lions in their Round 14 AFLQ clash with Morningside and finished second on their goal-kicking list

2009 Hightlights were 9 marks against us, 8 marks against the Kangaroos the week before, 7 tackles against Geelong and 15 disposals in the Kangaroos game as well.

Many, many lions fans including myself are sad to see him go. Would have much rather given you Bradshaw. You now have your furture forward to replace Fev, as well as a first round draft pick. You might not like it now, but you'll love it in 2-3 years

this kid is a massive druel fest.. i'm pretty pumped to see him out there in the old dark navy

Absolutely the right kind of kid to bring to the Blues. Excited to see you here, Hendo!

NO pressure to replace Fev. Find your own role at the Old Dark Navy Blues, and be part of something great.

I foresee this guy player great footy long after Fev has retired.

The interview is gone, so I've copied the whole thing.

Bomberblitz interview

BomberBlitz: Who was your footy idol growing up and why?
Lachie Henderson: James Hird and Nathan Buckley, cant split the two. Both these players just appealed to me because of the way they played footy and the leadership they both show on and off the field.

BB:Who do you barrack for, and where do you want to go?
LH: Collingwood and it makes no difference wherever I can play footy to the best of my ability.

BB: Do you have a rough idea of where you might be placed in terms of draft position?
LH: Not really I have been told different by people but anything could happen.

BB: What is your preferred position on-field and why?
LH: CHF, I like to be up the ground a bit able to run but also able to kick and set up goals.

BB: Three reasons why you would like to come to Essendon that distances it from its rivals.
LH: James Hird was there, Kevin Sheedy was there and it is a good club with a great history.

BB: Did you injuries this season set you back a lot in your preparation?
LH: Yeah, they have a fair bit. I struggled with my broken fibula bone earlier in the year and then a ankle and foot injury later in the season that i am still carrying. My fitness is surprisingly alright but everything is lacking with the little work I have done.

BB: Are you nervous about making the transition from the TAC to AFL?
LH: No, not really. I think these days there are so many people to help and guide you through that I will be alright. It will still be tough though.

BB: Just how much growth do you have in you to make?
LH: A fair bit I haven't played a lot this year so I have still got a year to catch up on everyone. I still have a lot to learn to hopefully become a solid AFL footballer.

BB: Which modern footballer (or if not one perhaps one from the past) do you think you think you are most like on field?
LH: Nick Riewoldt

BB: Who do others say you play like?
LH: Nick Riewoldt

BB: What would you say are you’re greatest assets in terms of AFL?
LH: My marking, my brain and decision making and my leadership.

BB: What areas do you reckon you could improve on?
LH:Ground Balls, second efforts and speed

BB: What would your top 3 goals be once you’re drafted to an AFL club?
LH: Have a full pre-season, run a 15+ beep (or just be real fit), do extra skill work to get myself ready for AFL and to try and play that season.

BB: What was it like getting an AIS scholarship for AFL?
LH: Awesome, I really did not expect it at all I didnt even know what it was when I got told I was getting looked at. I learnt so much throughout the year and owe a lot too the program.

BB: What do you think of the prospect of possibly moving away from home?
LH: Not really too happy with it but sacrifices may have to be made. I would miss a lot of things over here and it would be interesting to see how I go. But if its to play footy I think I would be alright.

BB: Who has been the hardest player to play on in the under 18s?
LH: With not many games this year I cant really tell but for me probably Mathew Lobbe or Hugh Sandilands.

BB: What have been your best and worst experiences out of AFL Draft camp this year? How did you find it?
LH: Best experience was just been around all the boys and catching up with the AIS boys. I couldn't really tell you the worst it was never that bad, maybe 3km time trial. It was a great experience. Very tiring but was worth it and was great to be around people that are going through the same thing as you, I enjoyed it.

BB: When did you start playing footy?
LH: I played all through primary school just at lunch at recess with all the older boys. But properly i started in under 14's when i was in grade 6.

BB: You’re in year 12 this year, how has it been fitting both footy and school work?
LH: It has been alright being in Geelong this year right next to school made it a lot easier. It has been fine.

BB: What subjects are you doing?
LH: Geography, English, Design and Technology, Further Maths, and Maths Methods. I also did Physical Education last year.

BB: Who has had the greatest influence on your footy career so far?
LH: My Dad

Your dad had a big influence on your footy career so far, did he play a fair bit of footy back in the day or does he still?
LH: Yeah he was a great club footballer. He just has a great eye for the game and has learnt to change with it and he still understands and knows whats going on, he is fantastic.

BB: Do you play any sports other than footy?
LH: Yeah I play golf, tennis and cricket. But really only golf now.

BB: If AFL wasn't around, what would you do instead?
LH: Something to do with sport anything around it. Maybe focus on Golf earlier on and try club pro or something. *laughs*

BB: Now for the important questions. Are you a cinnamon, iced or jam centred type donut man?
LH: Cinnamon.

BB: If you could hold a Guinness World Record, what would it be for?
LH: Fastest 20m sprint.

BB: What music do you listen to?
LH: Anything

BB: If someone made a film of your life, who would you like to play the lead role?
LH: Brad Pitt.

BB: Name 3 people you would invite to dinner and why?
LH: Tiger Woods, James Hird and My Girlfriend.

BB: One place you would like to visit?
LH: Trevi fountain in Rome.

BB: Three words to describe yourself?
LH: Hard working, Honest, Loyal

BB: What is your favourite colour M&M?
LH: Green

BB: Do you think milk should be added to instant coffee prior to boiling water or after?
LH: After

BB: Shorts or pants man?
LH: Pants.

BB: Shoes or thongs?
LH: Shoes.

BB: Thanks for the interview Lachie and good luck with the draft!
LH: Thanks.

Bomberblitz interview

Test Results

Pre Season

Height - 195.5
Weight - 89.9
5m sprint - 1.09
20m sprint - 3.07
Agility - 8.64
Shuttle - 14.0
Vertical jump - 57

Screening

Height - 195.5
Weight - 91.5
5m sprint - 1.18
20m sprint - 3.14
Agility - 8.88
Shuttle - 13.8
Vertical jump - 56
Repeat sprints - 24.98

Terrific agility and beep for a big man. :thumbsu:

Draft day is like Christmas for 16 AFL clubs: Emma Quayle

14. Lachlan Henderson

(Geelong Falcons. 17, 196cm, 92kg) Henderson is this year's tricky one.

He missed the fi rst half of the season with a broken leg.

He got back after the under-18 carnival, but struggled through the last few Falcons games with various niggles.

So clubs will be considering his under-16 form strongly when they make their minds up £ he showed great speed off the mark in that carnival, and covered enough ground for Geelong regional manager Michael Turner to compare him to Matthew Pavlich.

It would be no surprise if he proves to be one of the best players from this draft.

Anyone notice in that game on the video he was wearing No.25 and playing at FF, at princes park.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stoked to have Fev up here, I really didn't think it would eventuate. Hendo is a beauty, you guys will love him. He was being groomed to take over from Big Guns when he gave it away in a couple of years. Everyone in Brisbane love him and wish him the best, from the Lions coaching staff to admin, fellow players and most of all the Lion's supporters. I will now have a soft spot for the Blues and hope you go well next season.
The biggest trade since Fitzroy and Carlton swapped Peter Francis for Frank Marchesani!! Haha, bring back the 80's.:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Absolutely the right kind of kid to bring to the Blues. Excited to see you here, Hendo!

NO pressure to replace Fev. Find your own role at the Old Dark Navy Blues, and be part of something great.

I foresee this guy player great footy long after Fev has retired.
Not sure he will be Fev but from the sounds of things maybe a Jarryd Roughead?:confused:
Sounds similar in that he can play both ends but was recruited more as a forward, where he will be required much more for us now that Fevola is long gone.
Not seen too much of him anyway, it's just what I've been reading.
Anyway, best of luck to Fev too on his way to Brisbane.:thumbsu:
It's a win-win for both clubs IMO, Brisbane have 2 of the best power forwards in the comp who could be serious premiership contenders next season, while we get an exciting key position prospect who will complement our young list very well next year and beyond.:)
See you in September again next year Lions.;)

Re: # yet to be allocated - Lachie Henderson

I call him Hicks.

Henderson/Sticks collaboration haha, the mates and myself have been calling him Sunny, HenderSON, SON/SUN, Sunny.

'Sunny Henderson drills his fourth'
I can see it now...

Re: # yet to be allocated - Lachie Henderson

Yes his leads and marks looked very good in that vid.

Gotta say though, I have a similar gut feeling about this guy as I do about ROK...and that being a very good feeling.

Probably doesn't mean much, but I can't help but feel it.

I think we will grow to love this kid much the same way many of us love Kreuz. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back