Player Watch Lachie Schultz

Remove this Banner Ad

Horrible footballer, we got sucked in a beauty, freo laughing all the way!!
He’ll come good. The freo taking a bit longer to wash out than we’d like, but he hasn’t been terrible. Just not what we expect yet. I honestly believe we’ll see his true worth come September.

And even if, and it’s not likely IMO, he does pan out to be decidedly average, we’ve still taken clement, medhurst and tarrant (after he’d matured) back. We’re well ahead in the laughing stakes, they’ll never live those down.

Last edited:

Those stats reveal his effort is beyond question - to silence the critics.
I've never doubted his efforts. I just want him to start impacting games like he did at freo. It's round 11 and he's playing like he's got the world on his shoulders, he should be professional enough to be over that.

Victim blaming, nice.

You're the same bloke that says no one should call out vague racist comment as racism because it distracts from "the real racism" despite never calling out "the real racism" yourself. Now you're saying players only have themselves to blame for receiving death threats and abuse on social media.

In truth, you're nothing but a contrarian who wants to sweep issues under the rug and walk past the standards you claim to be in favour of.

This is hilariously dumb logic and has already been debunked many times.

You walk through the most dangerous hood waving around 10k in cash and you're gonna get mugged. That's not victim blaming, it's the reality we live in. If you don't accept that, and do the behavior, you will get mugged.

Being a celebrity and having "Open DMs" means without any doubt you will receive anonymous hate messages, this is covered in basic social media training. If hateful messages from strangers is going to cause you mental harm then simply block strangers from messaging you, it's very easy.

22 Pressure Acts and 6 tackles - those numbers are better than Sullivan. Same number of PA’s as ND.

Yeah, he runs around hard chasing people, but as I said he's always 1-2 metres behind them and they seem to get their kick away just fine. He didn't earn a single free from all those tackles and I don't recall him causing any turnovers too.

Also failed to hit the scoreboard which hurts considering he had an opportunity from 15 metres out but nearly missed his foot trying to drop the ball.

Yeah, he runs around hard chasing people, but as I said he's always 1-2 metres behind them and they seem to get their kick away just fine. He didn't earn a single free from all those tackles and I don't recall him causing any turnovers too.

Also failed to hit the scoreboard which hurts considering he had an opportunity from 15 metres out but nearly missed his foot trying to drop the ball.
Now you’re sounding absurd - so unless a tackle yields a free kick it’s a stat that should be ignored.
Are you actually listening to yourself.

I've never doubted his efforts. I just want him to start impacting games like he did at freo. It's round 11 and he's playing like he's got the world on his shoulders, he should be professional enough to be over that.
Have you checked his effort related stats at Freo? Maybe he’s playing as well but without scoreboard impact.

You can make it so only your friends can send you private messages / comment on your photos i'm fairly sure...
It doesn't even need to be sent to them for them to still see abusive posts & comments. They can still read what people comment on social media posts/forums.

And perhaps they've never needed to make their accounts private or only allowing those they follow to comment...not until they started receiving abusive dm's & comments.

It doesn't even need to be sent to them for them to still see abusive posts & comments. They can still read what people comment on social media posts/forums.

And perhaps they've never needed to make their accounts private or only allowing those they follow to comment...not until they started receiving abusive dm's & comments.
I hate to say it, but I wouldn't move to Collingwood if I was an AFL player in demand- I'd be straight off to one of the Northern clubs to get out of the bubble.

I hate to say it, but I wouldn't move to Collingwood if I was an AFL player in demand- I'd be straight off to one of the Northern clubs to get out of the bubble.
Being the biggest club is not always the drawcard some like to think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was chatting to some freo supporters at breakfast this morning in my hotel and while they said he isn’t worth the 1st rounder we paid for him, he will be a good player for us once he does click. He’s playing a much different role with us than he did with freo - was one of the two or three targets inside 50 but with us he is prob 3rd or 4th in like. Expectations probably had to be tempered. There was a lot of expectation he would kick 40 but that unlikely will be the case.

They were surprised we went after him as he wasn’t the sort of player we needed. Given we had other players to play that pressure role. But all in all, we just have to give him time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now you’re sounding absurd - so unless a tackle yields a free kick it’s a stat that should be ignored.
Are you actually listening to yourself.
Yeah that was an odd one. The games all about tackle pressure at the moment, yet only the 3 tackles a game that get rewarded with a free kick matter.

Have you checked his effort related stats at Freo? Maybe he’s playing as well but without scoreboard impact.
I believe he’s playing a different role with us. As FJ said, his role is running hard between half forward and half back pressuring the opposition and linking up and creating opportunities for teammates.

At Freo he was a stay at home small forward and had way more opportunities to convert playing that role.

Unfortunately, many Pies fans are judging Schultz on goals kicked only and not the role he’s been given. He’ll start nabbing his chances soon enough while playing his main role.

They were surprised we went after him as he wasn’t the sort of player we needed. Given we had other players to play that pressure role.
Pressure isn’t a role in our lineup, it’s a minimum standard.

Schultz will be fine. People need to move past what was paid for him, those picks aren’t coming back.

Pressure isn’t a role in our lineup, it’s a minimum standard.

Schultz will be fine. People need to move past what was paid for him, those picks aren’t coming back.
Schultz is getting treated like Grundy was after he signed the big contract and played like a B grader.

Schultz is getting treated like Grundy was after he signed the big contract and played like a B grader.

There is an element of that.

The key difference is that Fly doesn’t value the strengths we were paying Grundy top dollar for; Schultz is hand picked for Fly’s gamestyle.

15 metres out and misses the goals. Lost us the game in hindsight.

People constantly go on about his pressure, but he spends 90% of the game chasing a player 1-2 metres behind them and they know he'll never catch them because he only has 1 pace so they don't actually feel the pressure that a Hill or Mcreery provide.
The distance out is irrelevant- it wasn't a set shot. Referred pressure is real in a tough tight contest. There was huge pressure when he made that snap and it only missed by a foot or two.

I have seen him cause multiple turnovers with his pressure and he has impacted players as they kick so clearly he has caught them.

No club in this elite competition is playing silly games with their selection. We saw Mayne rotting in the VFL for weeks after being a much touted recruit.

If Schultz is not applying pressure and not creating goals with his defensive work he would not be selected as we near round 12.

We need Elliott back. Both Schultz and Hill are having to play as third tall marking targets too often and are struggling. There was a beautiful kick from Schultz in the last quarter to the advantage of our marking forward - 177cm Joe Richards. Surprisingly, the defender was able to spoil and he didn't mark it ...

We need Elliott back. Both Schultz and Hill are having to play as third tall marking targets too often and are struggling. There was a beautiful kick from Schultz in the last quarter to the advantage of our marking forward - 177cm Joe Richards. Surprisingly, the defender was able to spoil and he didn't mark it ...
Absolutely, we desperately miss that leading option that Elliott provides. This is especially the case with both Hoskin-Elliott and McInnes unable to fill the role.

According to freo supporters, we are playing him in a completely different role to what he's used to. Myself included, we should just trust that the club knows what they are doing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back