Last book you read?

Remove this Banner Ad

Just finished a very good book on 9/11, 'Fall & Rise, The Story of 9/11' by Boston journalist, Mitchell Zuckoff. He basically tells the story of what happened in the eyes of many people directly affected including the hijackers, from the lead-up to today. I read a review describing the book as "utterly gripping" and it is.

One I'll have to add to my list - had a quick look through my collection as I knew I had some 9/11 based books but not that one

I have one called 'A History of the World Since 9/11' by Dominic Streatfeild. Published in 2011 and as the title suggests it looks at the global impact of 9/11, but not just the big things that first come to mind but also things that impact the ordinary person.

And the book that winty mentioned, 'Report from Ground Zero', I bought that a couple of weeks ago

The other one I have is 'Channel of Peace: Stranded in Gander on 9/11' by Kevin Tuerff, and it was used in part as source material for the musical, 'Come From Away'. Currently I'm trying to source a physical copy (without having to overpay for delivery) of is 'The Day the World Came To Town', the impact that 9/11 had on this small (9000 population) Canadian town of Gander when 38 jumbo jets were forced to land upon closure of air space

I love the escapism of fiction, but always been drawn to non-fiction or books with a basis in reality

Last book I finished was Stephen King's new book The Institute.

Another awesome read by the Master. :thumbsu:

Was watching a clip on YouTube of a talk Stephen King did a few weeks ago, and he was telling a story of the time he was approached by an old lady who said to him, "I know who you are. You write all those scary books. They're not my cup of tea. I prefer uplifting stories like The Shawshank Redemption." Stephen King replied "Actually, I wrote that as well", to which the old lady snapped back "No you didn't!" :D

I'm trying to complete my collection of Matthew Reilly novel - easy reading when wanting to switch off. I also don't mind Ben Elton, Steven King and then various fields of fiction (nothing romance based) and an unopened 'A Song of Ice & Fire' boxset. I have some graphic novels, a good collection of travel guides (I can't bring myself to throwing out previous editions) and other random weird stuff.

Love true crime, books that collate factual stories and stuff based around disasters - best birthday gift I ever received was a second hand, hard back copy of Alive: The Story of the Andes Survivors. Absolutely amazing story

Was watching a clip on YouTube of a talk Stephen King did a few weeks ago, and he was telling a story of the time he was approached by an old lady who said to him, "I know who you are. You write all those scary books. They're not my cup of tea. I prefer uplifting stories like The Shawshank Redemption." Stephen King replied "Actually, I wrote that as well", to which the old lady snapped back "No you didn't!" :D

Different Seasons is one of the first "longer" books I read when I was younger - my version is now well loved. It doesn't feel like a traditional Steven King novel, but it's brilliant

That is ******* brilliant.

I couldnt get thru IT tbh it was too much of a slog. Misery was his best imo

Just finished "The Legend of the Middle Ages - Philosophical Explorations of Medieval Christianity, Judaism, and Islam" by Remi Brague.
I struggled with a lot of the book, but I found his chapter on the myth of "Geocentrism as the Humiliation of Man" to be the best analysis of that myth that I have read.
Sounds like a whimsical comedy Rab?

That is ******* brilliant.

I couldnt get thru IT tbh it was too much of a slog. Misery was his best imo
And Stand by me

The Stand is my favourite from him, even if it is over 1300 pages long.

They're going to be making a TV series based on it next year, and the guy who will be playing the villain Randall Flagg is the brother of the guy who plays Pennywise in It.

They're going to be making a TV series based on it next year, and the guy who will be playing the villain Randall Flagg is the brother of the guy who plays Pennywise in It.

WHat's the Stand about?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm trying to complete my collection of Matthew Reilly novel - easy reading when wanting to switch off. I also don't mind Ben Elton, Steven King and then various fields of fiction (nothing romance based) and an unopened 'A Song of Ice & Fire' boxset. I have some graphic novels, a good collection of travel guides (I can't bring myself to throwing out previous editions) and other random weird stuff.

Love true crime, books that collate factual stories and stuff based around disasters - best birthday gift I ever received was a second hand, hard back copy of Alive: The Story of the Andes Survivors. Absolutely amazing story
Don't start ASOIAF if you hate unfinished works like I do.
Wait for another 3 or 4 years til he's finished the "final" volume he promised 5 years ago.
Then wait another 7 or 8 years after that for the Johnny Farnham "final final" volume.

Don't start ASOIAF if you hate unfinished works like I do.
Wait for another 3 or 4 years til he's finished the "final" volume he promised 5 years ago.
Then wait another 7 or 8 years after that for the Johnny Farnham "final final" volume.
Thanks for the tip

I have that many books available to read that I will probably do just that - I'd rather have the full series and set aside sufficient time to read them all back to back without a gap

It's the same with the Walking Dead graphic novels I have - I don't have the full set, but I was collecting the annual book they would collate (it's a monthly publication, with it also available as an annual and they then released them in sets of 4-year collection). Due to the volume of characters in them (way more than the TV series), it's much easier to just read them back to back versus a gap because I forget who different characters are - really needs a character map at the start or inside cove

Thanks for the tip

I have that many books available to read that I will probably do just that - I'd rather have the full series and set aside sufficient time to read them all back to back without a gap

It's the same with the Walking Dead graphic novels I have - I don't have the full set, but I was collecting the annual book they would collate (it's a monthly publication, with it also available as an annual and they then released them in sets of 4-year collection). Due to the volume of characters in them (way more than the TV series), it's much easier to just read them back to back versus a gap because I forget who different characters are - really needs a character map at the start or inside cove
By far the best way of doing it, in my experience.
And, of course, ereaders and ebooks make it incredibly simple and convenient to do it this way.

Just on Martin, he's 71, in poor health, and keeps diverting to write and publish other books.
He also now has to deal with the fact that the TV series, about 2/3rds of the way through, took quite a different path to the directions in which the books were clearly heading.

Sounds like a whimsical comedy Rab?

No. It was a history of medieval philosophy.
The Medieval period is much misunderstood and is clouded by later myths.

Currently reading The Mars Room by Rachel Kushner, so far so good.

Others I’ve enjoyed this year are:

Lanny by Max Porter
The Shepherd’s Hut by Tim Winton
The Sellout by Paul Beatty
Read the Mars Room. Pretty good. Thanks for the others. 👍

Ah yes a wonderful book. Read it many years ago, he's a bloody great writer. Appraently he sits down to write with very little idea of where he is going. Gets into Flow state (which is another great book by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi) aka the zone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back