Last touch rule

Should we introcue a "Last touch rule?"

• Yes - I want us to be like soccer

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • No - Stupid idea

Votes: 59 85.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Come to think of it, if the new rule didn't apply inside the 50m arcs, we would still need to retain the deliberate OOB rule anyway, right? Otherwise defenders could just kick or handball over the line when under pressure.
The rule applies over the whole ground in the SANFL.

Exactly.
It’s technically not last touch.
It’s last disposal that goes directly over the line.
Plenty of SANFL games online if people are interested in seeing how it works.
If it's last disposal, it probably wouldn't happen all that often anyway, right? Most kicks that dribble OOB are pinged for deliberate these days, and when was the last time you saw a handball go OOB?

I could be wrong about that, but I don't think it'll happen too much.

What it might do is encourage less kicking down the line out of defence, in case you miss your target. So that might be a positive.

Also players have no incentive to go for the ball if it looks like going out of bounds if oppo player has touched it.

That's what I would be doing, why contest the ball at all or pick it up under pressure when you're about to get a free kick by not playing the ball. So the AFL would tweak the rule to be the exact opposite of what we have now where if you haven't shown reasonable intent to keep the ball alive you don't get to have the free kick.

Most of the time the ball goes over the line currently it's a spoil, spillage or slap on anyway.

They have this in junior footy too because of no boundary umpires. It works fine, I think it will remove the more frustrating, insufficient intent rule interpretation when you’re on the receiving end of a bad one.

I’d like to say this one won’t cost a grand final but even the black & white rules could eg. Wayne Harmes.

Are there examples of players shepherding opponents off the ball, because one of the opponent's teammates has kicked the ball, and it's going to dribble out of bounds?
Came to ask this too. Seems like it'd be asking players to shepherd the ball out of bounds.

Don't like it as players will be trying to kick or handball the ball into oppo players to get a free kick.
Also players have no incentive to go for the ball if it looks like going out of bounds if oppo player has touched it.
I think it has been trialled in pre-season before .
They use it in SANFL already.

Was trialed in the AFL pre season and worked well.

So if you are a defender and your opponent is about to mark the ball 20 meters out from goal along the boundary you have three options

a. Spoil the ball over the line resulting in a free kick to your opponent
b. Let him mark it as the other obvious option is option (a) and gets the same result
c. Somehow spoil the ball while flicking it back over your head into the corridor which goes against everything a defender has ever ben taught
No.
See SANFL rule

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just wish they’d stop bringing in unnecessary rules and fix or take out the shite ones they’ve brought in last few years.

The stand rule is an abomination, embarrassing, umpire dissent (although it’s somewhat been downgraded) is another massive over reaction.

If there was something I’d like to see brought in it would be with doing away of the fingernail touches being reviewed, if the player cannot obviously make contact or deviate the ball it should be a goal, the review system and video is garbage

I'm fairly agnostic to this hypothetical rule change (it's just a BF thought bubble as far as I'm aware, I haven't heard the AFL run it up the flagpole just yet). But if it was being considered, what problem is it designed to fix? i.e. what would the purpose of this rule be?

There's a version of this that works, which is basically 'if you kick or handball OOB without it being touched, it is a free kick. If it is touched, punched or spoiled OOB then boundary throw in'.

Basically, get rid of 'deliberate' and make it any clean disposal over the line. That males quite a lot of sense.

Could also add 'tackled over the line' as a free kick too, so players can't just run it over. That side probably needs to be trialled a bit more and aligned with changes to HTB though
I think you would need to retain "insufficient intent" as well for other methods of trying to get the ball out of bounds where possession is not taken (spoils, tapping it on, etc) but "last disposal" makes much more sense than "last touch". I'm still concerned that teams may decide not to risk going wide, making it easier to defend and adding congestion by effectively narrowing the ground.

Whatever it is (if anything, nothing is always an option), trial it in practice matches first for a couple of pre-seasons - don't just throw it into league games as they almost always do with rule changes.

And secondly, every rule change should be able to clearly and succinctly answer 2 questions:

What issue is this rule change intended to fix/improve in the game?

How does this rule change improve/fix the issue in the game?

If there is not a clear, logical, succinct and simple answer to those questions, the rule change should not be implemented.

If the rule would only apply to kicks and handballs, you may as well have it in the 50m arcs as well. I can't see a reason not to.

And to get rid of the deliberate/insufficient intent rule all together, you may as well just let players knock the ball over the line whenever they want. No grey areas.

Deflection, spoil, ricochet = not deliberate
Hand pass = deliberate
Bouncing kick = not deliberate (just like ootf)
Inside D/F50 = not deliberate (unless first bounce of ball from kick is not close to team-mate)
Ball originates from either arc but crosses in between the arcs = not deliberate

Basically, only call it as last touch if it's from a hand pass over the line in-between the arcs. If you get a touch on it, it's a throw in. Even if the hand pass bounces or deviates.

I don't really know where I'm going with this, I just don't like the term "deliberate" being used to officiate rules as it's so woefully open to interpretation

Just don't make rules open to interpretation, make them solid and as close to zeros and ones as possible. Soccer has it's criticisms, sure - and most of them are the diving/simulation which is totally down to interpretation and often the pace which is down to the players on the field, not the sport itself. What it does have, however, is hard and fast rules for last touch for corners, goal kicks and thrown ins, off-side & handball (well, mostly) and lots of rules that are yes and no in terms of officiating. The rules that always cause angst are the interpreations ones (penalties, VAR, yellow/red card calls etc.)

Back